Inspire audio equipment

straitwire

• Industry Participant
Re: Inspire audio equipment
« Reply #20 on: 22 Nov 2020, 04:09 pm »
Thanks FullRangeMan.
 I'm looking at some Russian glass envelope 6C5/6J5's on eBay.
 The metal ones sound great but I miss the tube glow.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 22 Nov 2020, 10:16 pm »
Be careful with metal body tubes they have live voltage in metal if the paint is Red.
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2020, 04:39 am by FullRangeMan »

straitwire

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 25 Jan 2021, 08:59 pm »
Working on a new Inspire KT170 amp.
 I'll post more pictures when the chassis gets back from the powder coater.

EDS_

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jan 2021, 01:52 am »
Hey straitwire,

I'm one of those audio-clowns always tumbling through gear searching for greener pastures....I'm also always in danger of the wife serving me with divorce papers over all the gear.

I have two pieces of kit in permanent use a Spendor S5e speaker pair for background listening while working and a Cary SLI-80 that I bought in '05 IIRC. The SLI-80 has given me thousands of hours of trouble free tube rolling greatness. Per advice from someone I replace the slow blow fuses every odd year Christmas.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #24 on: 6 Mar 2021, 11:28 pm »
Hello straitwire. Welcome! I feel like I know you. I have just spent the last two and a half weeks reading through the AA Inspire mega thread. What a project that was! I really wanted to join in that conversation but for some reason, try as I might, I can not log into that site. Anyway are you planning to start an Inspire circle here? I for one would like that. I recently picked up a 6/2016 Firebottle SE KT-88 HO with only a few hours on it. By far the best sounding amp I have ever heard!

straitwire

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 7 Mar 2021, 12:47 am »
Hey Sonicjoy, Welcome to the Inspire family!
 I started this thread in Industry Introductions in order to post things about Inspire equipment.
 I work with Dennis so I have to post Inspire stuff in this section.
 The FireBottle HO is a fantastic amp and one of my favorites.
 I am going to post pictures of our newest amp the KT170 on this thread, but I wanted to have all the pictures from start to finish.
 Hopefully Dennis should be starting the build this week.
 If you have any questions feel free to contact me here.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #26 on: 7 Mar 2021, 02:10 am »
Hey thanks for the quick reply! I will likely have some questions. In fact, I sent Dennis a message on ebay about a month ago but have not heard back. I did get a response to some questions when I was first looking to buy the amp. I'm sure he is just very busy. Seems like demand is growing huh? I will try again.

I am mating the HO with a Wyred 4 Sound STP SE pre-amp with stage 2 upgrades and Emerald Physics EP 2.7 OB speakers. This has turned out to be an incredible combo! The EP 2.7's are the big brother to the EP 4.7's that Jerry Seigel (of Ten Audio) used during his glowing review of the Hot Rod HO. The 2.7's have dual 15" woofers where the 4.7's have one. Interestingly he also reviewed the Wyred pre-amp and gave all three components his perfect Ten LP's rating.  So these are true reference quality components.

I am enjoying the heck out of this system. Very pleased with this little amp! Amazing what 12 watts can do.  Glad to be part of the Inspire family. :thumb:

straitwire

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 7 Mar 2021, 02:36 am »
Glad you're enjoying your system.
 Dennis is usually very busy so sometimes he isn't able to reply, add to this the fact that he receives hundreds of emails a month.
 So contact me here and I'll try to answer your questions, and if I can't I'll ask Dennis.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #28 on: 7 Mar 2021, 03:30 am »
Thanks Straitwire. Well I guess I should ask while I have you. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to send the amp in to have it upgraded to the Hot rod version or whatever the latest upgrades are. I am interested in maximum clarity and transparency as well as control of the low end.

The one concern I have with my long term enjoyment of this amp is the slight lack of power in the low frequencies. It is very good most of the time but once in a while I like to turn it up, and sometimes it just can't quite keep up in the bass department. These speakers are capable of incredible dynamic's but do need some power to do that. So I'm thinking that the PSE may be the better choice for the long run. My speakers are rated at 97 db, but that may be a bit optimistic.

Do you have any thoughts on this? Also what is the approximate turn around time or order time if I decide to order a different model?

Thank you!

straitwire

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 8 Mar 2021, 08:39 pm »
Hey Sonicjoy,  I am not sure if an upgrade of the circuit would make a difference because it wouldn't increase the power output.
 I would have to ask Dennis what he thinks.

From the specs I see on the Emerald Physics site your speakers efficiency was measured at 1khz.
 As you mentioned Open Baffle speakers do tend to need more power to deliver low frequencies.
 For my OB speakers placement is critical.
 Three feet or less from the corners of my living room or they don't put out much bass.

The PSE amps have more power and a lower output impedance so they have better speaker driver control which can improve bass response.

Turn around time for a new unit depends on which unit you are purchasing.
 Standard PSE amps are special order so I am not sure how long it would take to build one.
 We do have a Gas Voltage Regulated PSE chassis in Red that can be built.
 But I don't know what the price would be, I would have to ask.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #30 on: 9 Mar 2021, 03:13 am »
I know that updating my current HO would not add more power, but I seem to remember the IIPS upgrade helps a bit with driver control. Is that true? I don't know if my amp has that or not. How does one tell? I could post a photo of the inside.

I suspect that still would not be enough for what I am looking for.

I think the PSE would be the way to go really. Can you tell me about that Gas Voltage Regulated PSE chassis? I may be interested in this, but don't know anything about it. How it compares to the HO. Is it based on KT-88's?

I'm new to tube amps. This is my first, but I have been reading a lot, trying to get up to speed.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love this Firebottle HO! It drives the EP's very well. (Dennis told me it would) They have excellent bass response. Better than subwoofer bass. Deep, articulate, very satisfying and absolutely no box noise. Love OB for that reason! My speaker position is dialed in very well. About 4 feet from the front wall. I have no issue with the sound for most situations. It's just that when I really want to turn it up like we all sometimes do, it starts running out of steam and the dynamics drop off. These speakers have had their crossovers upgraded and fine tuned by Danny Richie at GR Research. Also better tweeters. He told me that these may be the best sounding pair of Emerald Physics speakers on the planet. (His words) The little HO brings a very engaging and 3D sound stage with these speakers that makes me smile every time I listen.

Keep in mind that I came from class D mono blocks at 270 watts each to the 12 watt Inspire. The bass control at higher volumes is what I am missing. However I am very surprised just how much power this 12 watts really is. Very impressive. I think the PSE would probably be enough.

Thanks again for your help.

straitwire

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 9 Mar 2021, 01:56 pm »
If you could post a picture of the inside of your amp I can tell you if it has an IIPS.
 I change the circuit in my amp whenever Dennis comes out with a new mod or with an entirely new design which includes output transformers.
 It has been several years since I ran an IIPS so I really can't comment on improved bass.

The Gas Voltage Regulated PSE uses 0A3 voltage regulator tubes instead of zener diodes to regulate the high voltage.
 This gives a slightly lower noise floor because VR tubes are quieter than zener diodes.
 Otherwise it's the same circuit as a PSE.

straitwire

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 9 Mar 2021, 10:12 pm »
Powder coated KT170 chassis...

Should be finished soon...

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #33 on: 9 Mar 2021, 10:33 pm »

I think the PSE would be the way to go really. Can you tell me about that Gas Voltage Regulated PSE chassis? I may be interested in this, but don't know anything about it. How it compares to the HO. Is it based on KT-88's?

I own both a HO Hot Rod KT88 and a PSE.   The overall power difference is slight, but deep bass is more powerful and better defined with the PSE.   I have run it with KT77, KT88, KT120 and KT150.   Driving 91dB speakers in a small to moderate sized room (240sf). 

Room size and desired volume level really decides how much power you need.  When I had the same speakers in a large room (600sf) back in the days when I played the music loader, a 100 wpc amp was insufficient.  Now I get by comfortably with 20-23 wpc. 

I still have a 125 wpc Class D amp, and occasionally use it.  Deep bass output and definition is better with it, even as compared to the PSE.  And it sounds very good throughout, but I prefer the PSE.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #34 on: 10 Mar 2021, 03:26 pm »
Thanks Tom. That's helpful info. My room is larger with vaulted ceiling but not huge. And ya the bass power dropped off a bit with the HO as compared to the class D's, but it is still very nice and once I adjusted to it I find it just fine. Sounds very balanced. Anyway I agree with your assessment and prefer the HO.

straitwire

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 11 Mar 2021, 03:26 pm »
New 300B Inspire prototype...

genjamon

« Reply #36 on: 11 Mar 2021, 09:28 pm »
Are those original WE 300B's ?!?!?!?

Delta77

« Reply #37 on: 11 Mar 2021, 10:07 pm »
New 300B Inspire prototype...

Very Nice..
Would like to here what makes up this amp (parts-Tubes)..

straitwire

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 11 Mar 2021, 11:22 pm »
Are those original WE 300B's ?!?!?!?
Hey genjamon, they are new production 300B's

genjamon

« Reply #39 on: 11 Mar 2021, 11:29 pm »
Nice!!  What are your impressions of their sound relative to other new production 300B's available?