Anyone ever built the Akitika GT-102 Amp kit?

AlexH

Anyone ever built the Akitika GT-102 Amp kit?
« on: 24 Aug 2020, 04:46 pm »
I was looking for something fun to do this winter just in case this Covid thing gets worse and we end up sitting at home thru a Michigan winter. I found this kit on line https://www.akitika.com/akitikastore.html#GT-102K and wonder if anyone had any experience with it.

Thanks

mzbrahce

Re: Anyone ever built the Akitika GT-102 Amp kit?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2020, 01:24 am »
It has been reviewed quite positively by Stereophile:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/akitika-gt-102-power-amplifier

AlexH

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2020, 11:06 am »
Thanks I did see that and other reviews. I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with it. Looks like I might have to be the first. :lol:

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2020, 11:05 pm »
You might be more likely to find people who've built this at https://diyaudio.com/ or maybe in the C&C circle https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=165.0

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2020, 06:56 pm »
I haven't built it but I am aware of Dan Joffe's work. I have built numerous designs using the LM3886 and LM4780 however.

Aside from the S'phile review, I just saw this one on PF:

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/akitika-gt-102-power-amplifier/

If you have any troubles/issues building the unit, send me a pm or post on the Lab forum. In addition, if you post on diyaudio, you can get help there.

Dan's instructions are very good, I use his 1khz 2 ppm oscillator in my lab from time to time.

Best,
Anand.

AlexH

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2020, 09:51 pm »
Awesome thanks for the reply's. I thought it was cheap enough to try and still have the fun of doing it. I have never built anything like this, but think I should be able to with out too much problem. Also I appreciate the offer of help if needed. That's why I like this forum so much.

garyalex

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2020, 11:11 pm »
You may already know about this but just in case.  He'll take you through the complete build.  I watched it even though I'm not building that amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qowoJ4lvVkY&t=2019s

Skilly

« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2020, 05:30 am »
This kit is really interesting. I watched the whole series on you tube, and was impressed by the thoroughness that the designer/owner put into all phases of the Amp. It seems rare for a fully complete kit to be supplied with well written and logical instructions for the builder.

Clearly, this is an "Amp kit for dummies" type project but the final product seems to outperform for its price point. I have seen some criticism of the amp in comparison to the first watt clone designs, but I have to wonder about the convenience factor of having a full product shipped in one box?

As alluring (with the prospect of world class performance) as the DIYAudio projects are, the audio store either can not or will not keep stock for complete projects. Its crazy. They have parts for one project design, but not the boards. or for different designs they may have boards, but not the parts to stuff the board. One can find a guide for a build, but then there are hundreds of comments to the guide so who know whether something important is in the comments? They often have a parts lists for the needed component to the project, but often you need to get them from several different vendors. They do not sell the transformers. and then there is the seemingly perpetual hunt for matching mosfets. For an amateur, this can be a project killer. 

I would love to learn what others may have to share about the DIY amp kits.

mzbrahce

Skilly

« Reply #9 on: 10 Dec 2020, 07:59 pm »
I have just ordered the Kit. It is due to arrive on Monday next week. I will keep the thread posted.

I plan on using this with my XLS encores.

AlexH

« Reply #10 on: 10 Dec 2020, 11:10 pm »
Let us know how this comes out. I have put this on the back burner for now. I went ahead bought two Parasound 275 v2 and will run them as mono blocks as soon as them arrive. But I am still thinking about building this amp.

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2020, 01:51 am »
Never been too sure about chip amps, pumping 50-60W through an itty bitty chip (huge heatsink notwithstanding). I also noted that the output is bandwidth-limited by both an output capacitor and a coil. I don't know if this is a chip-amp thing, but the Dynaco SCA-80 I bought in 1971 limited amp bandwidth the same way.

tipatina

« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2020, 02:33 am »
I built the GT101. My first kit. My review is below. Listening to it for 4 years and no problems. Ill build the preamp one day. Well written manual with clear instructions and Dan provided me with timely and helpful support throughout the build. A great first kit.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=144923.msg1550180#msg1550180

Skilly

« Reply #13 on: 12 Dec 2020, 03:45 am »
Tip?

Did you ever build the ACA mono blocks? I would like to hear about that build and a comparison of builds if not a comparison of sounds.

Skilly

« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2020, 08:10 am »
My new kit arrived today. It is well packed. I did an inventory and then started stuffing the psu board. I hope to post photos soon.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #15 on: 15 Dec 2020, 09:20 pm »
My new kit arrived today. It is well packed. I did an inventory and then started stuffing the psu board. I hope to post photos soon.

Looking forward to your pics. Good luck with the build.

Skilly

« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2020, 06:48 am »
So What happens when you order a kit?

Within days, a 19 pound box appears from Huntville AL. Inside you find this:

Inside the box marked Electronics are six baggies

Here is what they look like laid out. 

Here are the PCB's One PSU board and Two Amplifier Boards:

Inside the packet for the "PSU Bag" are the following items for stuffing:

Here is the board with Resistors and Diodes in place and Perfectly Soldered. At least that is the story I am telling.:

And finally with all capacitors, transistors and attached to the Heat sink. This build was night number one on the day of arrival. Total time to assemble this section at a leisurely pace, documenting as i went was about 5 hours. I am way too anal about this as I am using a component tester to test all components and put them into a spreadsheet/checklist.

RonP

« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2020, 03:12 pm »
excellent!

please keep documenting your progress. this is interesting.

I know how grueling documentation is.  :icon_twisted:

Skilly

« Reply #18 on: 18 Dec 2020, 04:21 am »
RonP,

Thanks for the well wishes. I have to tell you that the documentation on this build is incredibly good. There is a 53 page booklet that describes in great detail the steps to be taken. I would have to describe the instructions as for beginners. That is not to say that more experienced builders will be frustrated in any way.

The booklet contains plenty of visuals, color and blacks and white images, along with schematics. The instruction manual is downloadable for free. There is an option to buy a pre-printed version for those who are inclined to want that. I downloaded my instruction before I ordered it so that I could familiarize myself with the build and gain a level of comfort that I would be able to do it. In addition, there are a series of video done on youtube by a guy called "stereopolice." His videos are long, almost like those of Peter Rawlings, and they go into good detail about his experience. They are not perfect. However, they do show good images of the product and the steps to be taken.

Another feature of this product is the level of support by Dan Joffe. Dan is the designer of this unit, he fills the orders, fields the questions and probably turns out the lights at closing time. Dan is the man behind Upgrademydynaco.com. In many ways this Amplifier is the natural outgrowth of that amplifier upgrade system. They share many of the same components and technologies.

I spent a fair amount of time researching this project. Initially I was interested in doing a First Watt Clone. I spent many hours looking at builds on DIYAudio.com and looking at the DIYaudio Store. There appeared to be many build guides but I found them difficult to comprehend, let along follow. In addition, there were never the necessary supplies in the store. The chassis for sale appeared to be high quality but were pricey. The pcb boards appeared to be good quality, but they too seemed more expensive than I wanted to pay. For the life of me, I can not understand why they do not make more of an effort to make complete packages available for anything other than the amp camp amplifier. I think they are missing a great opportunity with the Covid situation where so many are taking the time to build. Ultimately, the opportunity to get all I needed in one package for a VERY reasonable price was the factor that lead me to Akitika.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2020, 09:42 pm by Skilly »

Skilly

« Reply #19 on: 18 Dec 2020, 04:45 am »
Just a quick note about the tools for my build.

I am using basic tools. I have an inexpensive Solder kit. By far the most important factor here is that i have a fine tip attachment for the iron. The boards used here are sturdy and well printed. that said, there are some tight fits on the components in a few areas. I am not an expert at soldering by any means, but I have ok, skills. My iron is set at 450 C so its hot and solders quickly. I am trying set my solder and flow it well without extended contact.

I have a good magnifying glass to help identify components. The print is so small on these that I can not imagine trying without the magnifier. I am also using a digital multimeter, but since I am using the component tester, I will only be using the multimeter for the testing phases.