Moving Forward, A new project.

Tliner

Re: Moving Forward, A new project.
« Reply #20 on: 13 Mar 2009, 12:09 am »
Filipe,

Any alterations to the VSonic design will be venturing into uncharted territory. That is, the VSonic design has been optimised for the drivers used extracting the best possible sound from them along with the xo to suit the sum of all the parameters. However, It might be possible to place the bass port close to the front of a side panel without detracting  from the performance too much.

Hey, if you have never heard the real thing you will never what you are missing! Basically a T/L speaker that really works is like a highly tuned instrument. Even if one of the parameters is slightly "off" they simply do not work as they should. The VSonics have a tolerance of no more than + - 1mm (1/16") in any of the internal measurements. Likewise the xo is tailor made to suit a T/L design. A xo designed to suit a reflex speaker will sound reasonable in a T/L but will be nowhere near optimised. As you understand T/L speakers are extremely uncompromising in design. Even a driver with very similar operating parameters is unlikely to be a successfully alternating.

So my ultimate answer is yes/no.  You may be lucky with any alterations made to a design but from 50 years from designing T/L speakers I don't think so.

Cheers,

Laurie

Felipe

Re: Moving Forward, A new project.
« Reply #21 on: 13 Mar 2009, 10:04 am »
Thank you Laurie, that's a good enough answer for me.  :thumb:

Best regards,
Filipe