Bryston 28 owners--- what power cables do you use?

G E

Bryston 28 owners--- what power cables do you use?
« on: 13 Oct 2018, 11:26 pm »
Curious to know what folks are using.

Right now I am using Bryston provided power cables.

I have Cardas-M on my Bel Canto PRe 6 and Hagerman Trumpet phono pre and they are Big improvements over generic power cables.

Please keep comments to what you are using. Not interested in another "cables don't matter" diatribe.
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2018, 12:33 am by G E »

Pundamilia

Re: Bryston 28 owners--- what power cables do you use?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2018, 03:57 am »
I'm using a stock Bryston cable, but there was a noticeable improvement when I put my 4B3 on a dedicated electrical circuit.

zoom25

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2018, 06:00 am »
I'm using a stock Bryston cable, but there was a noticeable improvement when I put my 4B3 on a dedicated electrical circuit.

I've heard many people saying that. Separate circuits for amps and another for low powered stuff, or keep digital and analog on different circuits.

On the other hand, I've also read to keep all the audio gear on the same circuit and plugged at the same power strip to avoid ground loops. I think James recommends to plug in both the Bryston digital and analog gear into the same Torus/BIT isolation transformer (BIT20 on a 20A circuit to make sure there aren't power draw problems).

What's the thought process here on how one should go about setting up their rig? :scratch:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2018, 12:59 pm »
I only have a 4B-SST² for my Magnepan 20.7s... I use a Pangea AC9SE signature for it ($250). Other cords I would consider are the PS Audio ($1K) or the AudioQuest Hurricane. ($1.5K) The Hurricane has been getting plenty of raves.
Another thing to consider is the duplex outlet in the wall. (If you cannot get dedicated AC circuits, at least the duplex in the wall can be upgraded.) If you still have the one there when you moved in... replace it. Even a Pass & Seymour heavy duty ($6) will be an improvement.
All this is if you can hear it.. If you find no difference. Then you can save plenty of money.
I noticed only a small change in amp behavior when going between to wall and to my Furman REF 20i conditioner high current outlet. Adding high end duplex made more of a change, and made it easier to hear differences in powercords too.

G E

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2018, 01:14 pm »
I only have a 4B-SST² for my Magnepan 20.7s... I use a Pangea AC9SE signature for it ($250). Other cords I would consider are the PS Audio ($1K) or the AudioQuest Hurricane. ($1.5K) The Hurricane has been getting plenty of raves.
Another thing to consider is the duplex outlet in the wall. (If you cannot get dedicated AC circuits, at least the duplex in the wall can be upgraded.) If you still have the one there when you moved in... replace it. Even a Pass & Seymour heavy duty ($6) will be an improvement.
All this is if you can hear it.. If you find no difference. Then you can save plenty of money.
I noticed only a small change in amp behavior when going between to wall and to my Furman REF 20i conditioner high current outlet. Adding high end duplex made more of a change, and made it easier to hear differences in powercords too.

Thank you Elizabeth!

I do have a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the listening room. I also installed Pass & Seymour "hospital grade" outlets. Bright orange so I remember which outlets are on the dedicated line.  The receptacle wipers really grip the plugs tightly. Far better than the 78 cent contractor grade found in the rest of the house.

All of my gear is plugged into this circuit including my pioneer elite plasma monitor. It is a connected via a Siemens surge protector. This is disconnected for serious listening. It adds a bit of hash to the sound even if switched off.

Digital stuff is unplugged when I play records, but I rarely play digital sources any more. My Well Tempered Amadeus-Grado Reference Master-Hagerman Trumpet with vintage Mullard tubes kicked digital out of the listening room.

The display of my Bel Canto Pre 6 is turned off. All of these actions improve the sound by a small degree but it's noticeable.

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2018, 01:56 pm »
I use Encore cords from Silver Sonic (DH Labs).  I found them to be quality, shielded cords that relatively speaking are reasonably priced.  The link for the 4 different levels of DH Labs' power cords is below.

https://silversonic.com/products/power-cables/

Elizabeth

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2018, 04:18 pm »
Just to mention, with all my Pangea PC, I use two PC with DH Labs AC wire. the $8 a foot stuff. With Furutech Rhodium '28' model plugs.
Nothing different I can hear between the home made and Pangea.. the home made is more expensive than the Pangea. mainly due to the plugs.
(I used to use Wattgate plugs, but now can hear them as 'not as good'..hence the Furutech at $110. a pop... at least I got them on sale LOL.)

G E

« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2018, 04:42 pm »
Just to mention, with all my Pangea PC, I use two PC with DH Labs AC wire. the $8 a foot stuff. With Furutech Rhodium '28' model plugs.
Nothing different I can hear between the home made and Pangea.. the home made is more expensive than the Pangea. mainly due to the plugs.
(I used to use Wattgate plugs, but now can hear them as 'not as good'..hence the Furutech at $110. a pop... at least I got them on sale LOL.)

I have a couple of the entry level Pangea cables.  They got moved to my seldom used digital sources when I tried the Cardas-M cables.  I'm afraid to try the Clear Beyond series... might be dangerous to my bank acccount ha ha.

I got both of the Cardas-M used.  One is the earlier Furutech terminated cable and this is on my Hagerman Trumpet, the other is what Cardas now uses and is attached to the Bel Canto.

Elizabeth

« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2018, 07:18 pm »
I would warn anyone to not buy used Pangea of the original type. The AC9 and AC14 original really are not very good/have been surpassed by a big margin by the latest.  I threw away my originals. I would not try to sell them.
The SE original versions could have some uses. They could be good to soften some digital glare for example. (like put the AC9SE original on your amp...)
The Pangea are cheap enough just buy the current version with the 'Signature' attribution. Particularly the AC14SE Sig. are dirt cheap. They are pretty good.
(as an aside. it is a almost hilarious/sad fact some guy is trying to sell an original AC14 cord (not here, on A.A.) for $10 MORE than the new best version costs.)
Sorry to derail the tread a little.

G E

« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2018, 09:33 pm »
I would warn anyone to not buy used Pangea of the original type. The AC9 and AC14 original really are not very good/have been surpassed by a big margin by the latest.  I threw away my originals. I would not try to sell them.
The SE original versions could have some uses. They could be good to soften some digital glare for example. (like put the AC9SE original on your amp...)
The Pangea are cheap enough just buy the current version with the 'Signature' attribution. Particularly the AC14SE Sig. are dirt cheap. They are pretty good.
(as an aside. it is a almost hilarious/sad fact some guy is trying to sell an original AC14 cord (not here, on A.A.) for $10 MORE than the new best version costs.)
Sorry to derail the tread a little.

Are the SE Pangea the old entry level cords?  I'll have to check my boxes next time I am in listening room.

Elizabeth

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2018, 09:49 pm »
The Original Pangea AC9SE and AC14SE have that exact lettering embedded in the molded plug ends. (sadly the new ones LOOK exactly the same! The only visual difference to the latest signature edition is the addition of shiny blue threads in the woven cover. Shining a flashlight on the body cable cover will 'light up' the shiny blue bits. The original AC9SE and AC14SE cord body covering have no shiny bits.
I am not currently using any AC9SE original, but I AM saving them. I am still using several AC14SE original around like for the DVD player.. The TT motor.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2018, 10:34 pm »
Hi GE.
I have the 4BSST2 and switched out the stock Bryston AC cable about 4 years ago for the PS Audio AC3.  Since upgraded to the AC5.
They run about $220 and $350 respectively, from memory - could be off a little.

I noticed quite a bit of difference switching out the stock cable. Mostly in the bass. I even did a blind A/B with my wife - and she picked up on the PS Audio cables instantly. (She has way better ears than me :))

Cheers, TJ

Rod_S

« Reply #12 on: 15 Oct 2018, 01:18 pm »
My 28's are using the stock cords. Both amps and connected to a Furman IT-Reference (which uses a  Siltech Ruby Hill II power cord with Furutech NCF connectors) which is in turn connected to a Furman SPR-20i then to the wall. The cable from the SPR-20i to the wall is stock. I had intended to replace it and the amp cables with Siltech's a couple years ago but got side tracked with other endeavors and never got back to spending money on my audio/video system.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #13 on: 15 Oct 2018, 04:04 pm »
  If the stock PC is VG. If you want to try another our listening tests like TWL 7+ or HO cord. Excellent results with several systems using Bryston gear.

charles

G E

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jun 2019, 01:13 am »
Getting Cardas Clear Beyond power cables for the 28squared dynamic duo!

Found an open box 1m from music Direct for a price I couldn’t resist and yesterday lucked into a 1.5m version from a guy who is moving up to the Clear Beyond XL.

The first one showed up yesterday. After spinning records for a couple hours my friend suggests popping it on my phono pre. DONE! Immediate difference in bass depth and overall clarity.  This was not a hint of difference... this was an in your face improvement.

Can’t wait to get the second one and move then to the 28 Squared.

I may be looking for one for phono pre and also a Cardas Clear phono cable to replace my Morrow....

TJ-Sully

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jun 2019, 02:24 am »
right on GE!   I've been eyeing up the Cardas Clear cables too.......maybe will get them one day.
glad you're rocking them!
TJ

G E

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jun 2019, 02:43 am »
right on GE!   I've been eyeing up the Cardas Clear cables too.......maybe will get them one day.
glad you're rocking them!
TJ

It replaced a Cardas -M which in itself was a big improvement over stock.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #17 on: 24 Jun 2019, 06:27 pm »
Cardashians all the way!!!! :lol:

G E

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jun 2019, 08:46 pm »
The second Cardas Clear Beyond power cable just arrived!

I put it in my cable cooker and will get it on the 28-2 tomorrow!

ngamountains

« Reply #19 on: 29 Jun 2019, 04:10 pm »
I have a pair of Shunyata Alpha HC.