How to Power Down Headless Mac

cody69

How to Power Down Headless Mac
« on: 4 May 2013, 02:13 pm »
I'm using a mac mini as a central music server connected to my main audio system and to stream music to other rooms, and want to run it in headless mode.
My question is I'm not sure how to power down the mini when I'm not using it. I'd do not want to leave it running in sleep mode as our area is prone to frequent power outages that I fear may cause problems if the mac is running.

The mini is connected to Wi-fi and I have an iPhone and iPad that can be used if these offer possible solutions.
Thanks for your suggestions.

srb

Re: How to Power Down Headless Mac
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2013, 02:20 pm »
Use one of the many desktop sharing programs to control the Mac desktop - VNC, PocketCloud, iTeleport, etc.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112446.msg1182008#msg1182008

Steve

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2013, 02:55 pm »
When I ran a headless mini, i used VNC to do it with my iTouch. 

InfernoSTi

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2013, 04:51 pm »
I use the included "screen share" program and power down via my Macbook Pro....

Best,
John

skunark

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2013, 04:52 pm »
If your area is prone to frequent power outages, I would say sleep mode is better than an active mode during a power outage since the state is saved and all HDD are powered down.    The nice thing about a mac mini is that a small inexpensive APC UPS is enough to withstand an outage for several minutes if not hours and would provide protection at the right time, when your computer is active.
« Last Edit: 4 May 2013, 09:16 pm by skunark »

cody69

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2013, 11:05 am »
I have seen VNC mentioned before, but had not taken the time to learn what it was about.
Downloaded one of the free clients from the App Store to my iphone and had it up and sharing the mini screen in moments.
Works like a champ -- gives me the ability to shutdown the mini along with lots of other capabilities - thanks all.

newzooreview

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2013, 02:55 pm »

Best,
John

+1

I use Audirvana Plus. For best sound I run it on its own, and Screen Share is the only way to control it in that mode. It's an ideal approach. I wouldn't want to run a third-party VNC application in addition to the playback software although I understand that in some setups convenience has to be balanced against sound quality.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2015, 08:09 pm »

Best,
John

What is the included screen share program? is it Included on the mac mini? And if so how do I set it up on my iPhone 6+ or ipad mini?

Thanks

cody69

« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2015, 11:18 pm »

Best,
John

What is the included screen share program? is it Included on the mac mini? And if so how do I set it up on my iPhone 6+ or ipad mini?

Thanks

I believe John was referring to the screen share capability built-in to mac computers... eg., controlling a mini from macbook pro.
Works good and I use it to control the mini from MBP and iMac, but based on my knowledge, the VNC client is required to control the mini from iPhone/iPad.