The Fixer - Transcendent Sound New Product

Escott1377

The Fixer - Transcendent Sound New Product
« on: 11 Sep 2018, 08:30 pm »
This is a new tone control offering that Bruce has had in design for a while.

Looks really cool.

I own his Masterpiece pre amp and it performs way above its sell price.

Thought some of you guys might be interested...

If you do purchase, please report back (after 10/1) :)

https://www.transcendentsound.com/fixer.html

sfox7076

Re: The Fixer - Transcendent Sound New Product
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2018, 08:46 pm »
I wish he didn't put toroids on top without covers.  Kid friendly they are not.

Escott1377

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2018, 08:50 pm »

Agreed, but the tubes themselves are not either.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2018, 08:51 pm »
I'm sure you can buy a shield for the transformer. I mean it's DIY, make something to protect from kids...

Neat product. My biggest issue with anything like this is knowing that if they're potentiometers, they aren't so good. I think tone controls are kind of neat if done well, but I honestly don't know how often I'd ever touch them. To me a lot of 70's receivers were about feeling like you were in control. The reality was you set it to compensate for speakers and forgot it.

If the values were right you could swap in some DACT's from eBay for controls.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2018, 09:00 pm »
+1
Seems the tone controls are parametric, not usual in home audio.
I can not see tone controls useful in a well made poweramp and speakers, tone controls are useful to correct poor made speakers, in this case they are a necessary evil.

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2018, 08:27 am »
This is a good idea and I don't know of anyone else in high-end audio that offers tone controls.  That said I agree with Folsom and FRM that tone controls originally were for compensation in the speakers.  Let's face it, you can go back to beginnings of home audio and speakers have always commanded the lion's share of the system value and when that value is marginalized by budget one makes adjustments.  Engineers of the day recognized the need for tone compensation.

The purist attitude of the modern day audiophile isn't the only one that enjoys music, thankfully.

I think it would be a fun kit to build and fabricating a tube cage would fairly easy and just part of the fun.

Folsom - you got a PM about attenuators.

ohenry

« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2018, 10:03 am »

Oh hell, this isn't Fisher-Price.  A little corrective shock may bring the little bastards into compliance.   :o

Escott1377

« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2018, 12:06 pm »
This is a good idea and I don't know of anyone else in high-end audio that offers tone controls.  That said I agree with Folsom and FRM that tone controls originally were for compensation in the speakers.  Let's face it, you can go back to beginnings of home audio and speakers have always commanded the lion's share of the system value and when that value is marginalized by budget one makes adjustments.  Engineers of the day recognized the need for tone compensation.

The purist attitude of the modern day audiophile isn't the only one that enjoys music, thankfully.

I think it would be a fun kit to build and fabricating a tube cage would fairly easy and just part of the fun.

Folsom - you got a PM about attenuators.

Agreed - and the fact that he is using a tube product to do so.

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2018, 02:00 pm »
This is a good idea and I don't know of anyone else in high-end audio that offers tone controls.

http://www.schiit.com/products/loki

JakeJ

« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2018, 04:41 pm »
I stand educated! Thank you, dB.  Although that device does introduce more mechanical connections and cabling it is likely a necessary evil in some systems.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2018, 10:13 pm »
This preamp can double as headphone amp?
If so these tone controls could be useful to correct headphones with poor bass and excessive treble.

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 13 Sep 2018, 01:44 am »
I stand educated! Thank you, dB.  Although that device does introduce more mechanical connections and cabling it is likely a necessary evil in some systems.

You're Welcome. How is it more mechanical connections though? Both have line-in and line-out.

JakeJ

« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2018, 08:09 am »
I was thinking of it being connected to a line preamp that does the job of gain and input switching via a tape loop or some other processor loop which would be two more sets of interconnects along with the eight mechanical connections they introduce.  Am I missing something?  It has to be added to the signal loop somehow, eh?

Wouldn't it be interesting to build a preamp with tone controls based on the old Fletcher-Munson principles?  I had a pair of early Radio Craftsman 6V6 based mono integrated amps that had Fletcher-Munson tone controls and it was strange to play with them.  There was some sort of interaction going on between the treble and bass such that they each had effect upon the other.  Ultimately I found them to sound best with the controls flat, hmmm, go figure.

WireNut

« Reply #13 on: 13 Sep 2018, 02:49 pm »
I like it. I miss tone controls from my old receiver. Glad to see someone finally did this.
Altho I think Frank did a tube pre with tone controls years ago, and then there's Macintosh who I think does tubes and tone controls.

WireNut

« Reply #14 on: 3 Dec 2018, 07:07 pm »
The tone controls on the Loki are 20Hz, 400Hz, 2kHz, 8kHz. Doesn't seem to me that 20hz would do much, 50-120Hz seems like it would be better.

I like the idea of "The Fixer", only thing is it doesn't have a bi-pass switch which would be nice.
I don't think tone controls are just to alter loudspeaker deficiencies, room acoustics, loudspeaker placement, cables ext also come into play IMO.

Tubes, unity gain, tone controls, yeah, I'll build The Fixer if I can ever come up with the cash.

Update:
Haven't read it yet but just found a forum on "The Fixer".
https://tubehifi.websitetoolbox.com/post/new-product-the-fixer-is-here-9501427?trail=15

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #15 on: 3 Dec 2018, 08:01 pm »
   Another Fixer is the ART Audio EQ355 31 band equalizer. www.artproaudio.com

charles

WireNut

« Reply #16 on: 3 Dec 2018, 11:18 pm »
   Another Fixer is the ART Audio EQ355 31 band equalizer. www.artproaudio.com

charles

I'm sure that could fix things. I got away from sliders a long time ago. 
A four band parametric EQ would suit me just fine, but it's hard pressed to find one with unbalanced connectors.
I wouldn't want to get into mixing balanced and unbalanced components, but that's just me.

Thanks Rollo, for my first phono stage  :thumb:.