Pagan G2G at Richidoo's

groovybassist

Re: Pagan G2G at Richidoo's
« Reply #40 on: 20 Jun 2016, 02:27 am »
Thanks to Rich for hosting and his family for helping/putting up with us.

I'm not a tube or vinyl guy, but will say I thought the most realistic sound came compliments of Audio Research amp/preamp, with vinyl spinning on the Clearaudio TT.

I also liked the combo of Sol's amp and Vega. For me it tamed some of what I perceive to be the nasties in the Vega, and added back in some of the heft of the AR gear vs. playing the Vega through the LIO. For aficionados of simplicity, the LIO sounds great on its own. Choices, choices...

Look forward to seeing everyone again in a few months.

-Mike

Folsom

« Reply #41 on: 20 Jun 2016, 02:52 am »
Looks like you guys had a great time.

Rich,

Can you say more about your speakers?

I think they were a kit?

George

These are the speakers.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: 20 Jun 2016, 02:58 am »
Our resident cable rat, IT tech, all around audio afficionado, jtwrace, did a splendid job all night keeping the digital audio fire blazing. Thanks for everything Jason.
Never have I worked so hard changing equipment around.   :o   I really didn't know one could be sore from changing cables, equipment and being IT guy.   :lol:

All worth it though!   :thumb:

richidoo

« Reply #43 on: 20 Jun 2016, 04:42 am »
Mike, I love  the tubes and vinyl too, (listening to it right now, couldn't be happier) but the Vega did make a big impression on me, as everyone has always said it would, starting with mgalusha 3 years ago! It's the best ESS I've heard so far. Not heard exaSound or Moon yet.

George, it's the Kairos designed by Jeff Bagby.
http://www.diyspeakerforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16
http://meniscusaudio.com/kairos-pair-p-1380.html
Lots more Kairos threads on techtalk forum at parts express.

It's a 2 way stand mount. Uses premium "Satori" driver line from SB Acoustics. The woofer is very low loss, wide bandwidth, low distortion, low Q, low Fs, low Le, etc.  The Satori tweeter is a super hot rodded version of their venerable dimple dome tweeter. There is an old thread on AC praising it, but the Satori tweeter takes the dimple concept further. Plenty of detail, but more comfortable for long listening, and fuller tone than rigid domes or ribbon, a little warmth. The cones are papyrus reed, more rigid than paper, but still with that comfy carbon based sound, but no trace of "cone cry." Curvilinear cone shape prevents flexing. Very compliant rubber surround. Bagby's design is excellent, imo. It takes advantage of the very wide bandwidth and excellent behavior of the drivers to allow simple, shallow crossover filters and tilted baffle to make a very flat phase response from 200Hz up, right through the crossover to upper treble. That's very rare among traditional direct radiator voice coil speakers. I love flat phase response speakers like Danley, Quad, single drivers, etc. It's been very well received by those who have built them and heard them. They sound bigger than they look. Sensitivity is 85dB, 8 ohms nominal, stays above 7ohms.

Folsom

« Reply #44 on: 20 Jun 2016, 05:46 am »
It's an attractive speaker. I wanted to listen to it and other JB's at Axpona because they had a room full of them. Unfortunately the sound from the electronics was horrific I gave it a worst of show award (in a mini review). I have to imagine it sounded vastly better at this gathering!

Have you ever heard the revelator series tweeter to compare?

dflee

« Reply #45 on: 20 Jun 2016, 12:21 pm »
Rich:
Looks like a good time was had by all. For me there's always next time. Swamped with work.
Is there enough room in front to slot port so you could get the Kairos closer to the front wall?
I think they'd look pretty good too.

Don

richidoo

« Reply #46 on: 20 Jun 2016, 01:21 pm »

Hard to avoid hearing them over the years, but I've not had the opportunity to make a direct comparison.

richidoo

« Reply #47 on: 20 Jun 2016, 01:44 pm »
Rich:
Looks like a good time was had by all. For me there's always next time. Swamped with work.
Is there enough room in front to slot port so you could get the Kairos closer to the front wall?
I think they'd look pretty good too.

Hi Don, sorry to miss you. I know you'll make it one of these times!

There is plenty of room on the front baffle below the driver to put the 2" round port, or a slot.

sheadlee

« Reply #48 on: 20 Jun 2016, 03:06 pm »
Thanks to Rich, and family, for hosting/tolerating us...yet, again  :green:!

It was great to hang with a great bunch of fellow audiophiles/friends. I was really impressed with the latest iteration of Rich's speakers. Well done, Rich  :thumb:!

A lot of listening was done at volume levels too high for my 'tender' ears...so I don't have much to offer concerning different component swaps.

I can add that Sol's latest i60 was simply wonderful! It just lets you listen into the music/performance with no audio gremlins irritating or distracting you. Once again, well done, Sol  :thumb:!

a.wayne

« Reply #49 on: 20 Jun 2016, 05:44 pm »
It's an attractive speaker. I wanted to listen to it and other JB's at Axpona because they had a room full of them. Unfortunately the sound from the electronics was horrific I gave it a worst of show award (in a mini review). I have to imagine it sounded vastly better at this gathering!

How bad could the  electronics be to do so unless defective ... :scratch:

Folsom

« Reply #50 on: 20 Jun 2016, 07:59 pm »
If my ears were not in such pain maybe I could have found out... I found the 800w power demo by Dan D'Agostino & Wilson to be more tolerable, and my friend literally ran out of the room on that one. (I didn't like it either, and thought the guy showing it off was a Tool just trying to hurt us)

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #51 on: 20 Jun 2016, 08:06 pm »
Leaving in a few with the Yggydrasil and Gustard X20 in hand. I didn't have time this week to sort out all my HQPlayer and Roon issues so I am leaving the laptop at home.
Did you guys compare the Yiggy and Gustard?

nc42acc

« Reply #52 on: 20 Jun 2016, 08:29 pm »
I don't think anyone was interested in the Custard. Must be in its point of origin.......

Did you guys compare the Yiggy and Gustard?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: 20 Jun 2016, 08:48 pm »
I don't think anyone was interested in the Custard. Must be in its point of origin.......
I was very interested in it. I heard it...

richidoo

« Reply #54 on: 20 Jun 2016, 08:56 pm »
I like them both. The Custard is pretty laid back, ultra smooth. I usually like a bit more edge and texture, but that was just first impression. I've not spent any quality time with it yet, nor Yggy, other than a few tracks with everybody talking and judging. Vega got most of our attention at the meet.

nc42acc

« Reply #55 on: 20 Jun 2016, 09:44 pm »
I was being funny. i look forward to your further listening Rich.  :D :D :D

ACHiPo

« Reply #56 on: 21 Jun 2016, 01:00 am »
I was being funny. i look forward to your further listening Rich.  :D :D :D
I can't remember--have you tweaked your X20?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #57 on: 21 Jun 2016, 02:48 am »
He did, he purchased a Giggity Giggity...

nc42acc

« Reply #58 on: 21 Jun 2016, 11:23 am »
First version of the X20 with no modifications

First quote author=ACHiPo link=topic=143284.msg1536749#msg1536749 date=1466470859]
[/quote]

ACHiPo

« Reply #59 on: 21 Jun 2016, 12:28 pm »
He did, he purchased a Giggity Giggity...
Think the giggity giggity was before the Custard?  :wink: