VDA-1 power input jack cracked

BureauMan

VDA-1 power input jack cracked
« on: 27 Aug 2008, 04:44 am »
My Channel Islands Audio VDA-1 DAC power input jack is cracked (I bought the DAC used and it came that way), which apparently is a fairly common issue with this DAC according to what I've read online.  Does anyone know a suitable replacement part number and source for the jack?  Thanks in advance.

CIAudio

Re: VDA-1 power input jack cracked
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2008, 03:41 pm »
We can replace the jack for you.
If you'd like to DIY, just give us a call and we'll send you the part.

Dusty Vawter
CIAudio
(805) 984-8282

PurplePanties

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2008, 03:36 pm »
There's been several post about cracked jack with the VDAs, I must be really stupid as I have difficulties understanding how it can come about. I understand it's nothing to do with the umbilical, is it something to with with the Black housing on the VDA itself or the power pin on the VDA?

Does anyone have a pic of this?

CIAudio

« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2008, 06:21 pm »
The power jack on VDA (also VAC, VHP, VPP, VDC, PLC) is industry standard 2.5mm and not prone to failure/cracking under normal use. This type of jack is used on almost all consumer electronics for power input, smaller versions are used on cell phones, handheld devices, etc.

We do see them broken occasionally, but this is due to misuse/accident. If the cable is pulled tightly sideways, the jack can be broken.
In my 11 yrs in business, we have had to replace less than 20 of these vs thousands sold, so those who break them probably have a lot of other broken stuff   :icon_lol:

PurplePanties

« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2008, 07:31 pm »
Thanks for clearing that up :)  I was getting worried coz I thought it was some sort of manufacturing fault on the part of CI Audio  :oops:

BureauMan

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2008, 06:46 am »
I agree with Dusty.  I honestly think the cracks in my VDA-1's power jack were caused by misuse/accident by its previous owner.

Anyway, I called Dusty the other day and despite the fact that I didn't buy the DAC directly from him, he very generously offered to either replace the jack free of charge or send me the part for free (I chose the latter).  Now that's great customer service!!!

BTW, I really like the sound of the VDA-1--it totally blew away my previous MSB and Entech DACs--and I'll definitely consider upgrading to the VDA-2 in the future.  According to what I've read online and heard from others, the VDA-2 sounds noticeably better, and apparently more than a few people prefer its sound over the much more expensive Benchmark DAC1.

erimille

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2008, 11:41 pm »
I agree with Dusty.  I honestly think the cracks in my VDA-1's power jack were caused by misuse/accident by its previous owner.

Certainly. That said, it still is happening. And for everyone one of us who mentions it, I suspect there are dozens who don't. That said, this problem isn't specific to this particular product per se, but rather the plug / design in general. 

Anyway, I called Dusty the other day and despite the fact that I didn't buy the DAC directly from him, he very generously offered to either replace the jack free of charge or send me the part for free (I chose the latter).  Now that's great customer service!!!

I too have the problem, contacted Dusty and received the same phenomenal customer service. That said, I haven't been willing to let mine go to be serviced; I'm simply enjoying this unit too much to be without it for a week+ while its back in the shop! ;)

It (literally) is the center of my office system and as long as I don't move the plug too much, it makes *wonderful* music.

BTW, I really like the sound of the VDA-1--it totally blew away my previous MSB and Entech DACs--and I'll definitely consider upgrading to the VDA-2 in the future.  According to what I've read online and heard from others, the VDA-2 sounds noticeably better, and apparently more than a few people prefer its sound over the much more expensive Benchmark DAC1.

Agreed! I too have been thinking about upgrading to the the VDA-2 and using the VDA-1 in another sysem (I won't sell! :)). Anyone have any first hand experience on the audible differences between these units?

--e
« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2008, 09:01 pm by erimille »

duff138

« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2022, 01:19 pm »
Anyone have a parts number for this?  I am looking for 2 in order to replace cracked ones on a DAC and power supply.