The concept of a new Processor possibly described as an SP5

artur9

Re: The concept of a new Processor possibly described as an SP5
« Reply #20 on: 20 Dec 2023, 02:57 am »
Anthem AVM 90 looks impressive BUT as far as I see, there is no 7.1 preamp analogue input. ...
what would you connect to a 7.1 analogue input?

gbaby

« Reply #21 on: 21 Dec 2023, 08:41 pm »

To me, the 7.1 analog input is not as important as a 2 channel analog input and output that does not go through the unit's D/A converter. The Bryston SP3 has this which allows another D/A converter like the BDA2 or 3 and a turntable. The newer Mac processors like the MX-170 and MX-180 does not have this and its analog inputs go through its D/A converter. I think the SP3 is configured more for making music sound its best which is the reason its sad the unit is no longer made. The first time I heard Atmos was from an Anthem AVM-60. It had a very steely Japanese sound that I had when I owned Japanese receivers and processors I guess I have now gotten use to Bryston's Class A proprietary analog stage as it has a smooth sound that eludes the Athem. I'll gladly stick to my 7.1 Bryston as I cannot get enough of its fidelity.  8)
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2023, 01:17 am by gbaby »

artur9

« Reply #22 on: 22 Dec 2023, 04:40 am »
To me, the 7.1 analog input is not as important as a 2 channel analog input and output that does not go through the unit's D/A converter. ...

Makes sense to me.  I have an AVM 70, which is great for movies and very good for music.

I am planning on comparing a DAC going into the AVM 70 with direct analog to an analog preamp to see if I can hear a difference.

hipp

« Reply #23 on: 22 Dec 2023, 05:35 am »
The multichannel tracks are streamed from my Windows 10 server to a ROON enabled Sigma Streamer which is connected by USB to Exasound multichannel DAC. I use 6 analogue outputs (ROON will mix down 7.1 to 5.1 when necessary) from the Exasound directly to the SP3 5.1 preamp input. Using RCA connectors.

The HDMI multichannel experience is less precise and at times bottom end heavy compared to the analogue, at least to me.
Used to use the OPPO analogue multichannel outputs utilising JRiver but much prefer the results I get from the ROON/Exasound DAC combination.

Will continue to use SP3 as the multichannel analogue processor. Hopefully it keeps working!!