Upgrade banana plugs

aln

Upgrade banana plugs
« on: 11 May 2020, 01:07 pm »
Do you want an upgrade in the sound of your Van Alstine amplifier while increasing the safety of your speaker connections?  Consider the WBT 0610 banana plugs in copper and silver.  I added the copper version to my 600R and was really impresed.  They replaced another set of WBT banana plugs (0630 I believe) and the gains in clarity, extension, and depth were very worthwhile.  I have had a number of banana plugs on this amp ranging from Kle inovations,  pure copper from Viborg, and the earlier WBT.   The WBT installs easily and I love the way it handles cables, which are directed down towards the floor.  These are my observations, but it is one to consider as an upgrade.  All banana plugs do not sound the same. I liked the set I bought so much I bought another set for my SET 400 which is my subwoofer amp.  Enjoy!

avahifi

Re: Upgrade banana plugs
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2020, 02:18 pm »
These are expensive.

I wonder if they are really any better then the locking banana plugs we use from Bluejeans Cable on all our speaker wires for about one-tenth the cost.

It would make an interesting test using our ABX Comparator and two identical power amps. Confirmation bias abounds.

Frank

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2020, 03:27 pm »
These are expensive.

I wonder if they are really any better then the locking banana plugs we use from Bluejeans Cable on all our speaker wires for about one-tenth the cost.

It would make an interesting test using our ABX Comparator and two identical power amps. Confirmation bias abounds.

Frank

And I know where you can get a good deal on one!

https://avahifi.com/collections/used-demo-and-quick-ship/products/abx-switch-comparator

aln

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2020, 03:30 pm »
Should would be fun to try.  How is everyone doing?  Here in Ohio they are just starting to open things up.  Best!

avahifi

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2020, 06:39 pm »
We are actually working on an ABX Comparator for balanced line equipment with XLR inputs and outputs.

Due to chassis space limitations, this will require two units, one each separately for left and right channels. They are controlled from a common remote sender so all channels will switch at the same time.

Only one required for single channel evaluation of mono amps.

Frank

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2020, 03:11 pm »
I don't think that the question regarding banana plugs is about sound differences. I think the correct question is how long will they maintain a good low resistance contact joint with mechanical abuse and in a harsh environment.

aln

« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2020, 08:27 pm »
These banana plugs with the two torx screws provide a very secure fitting.  Once the cable is secured, the expanding plug makes for firm contact with the banana jacks.  Should last awhile-and very useful if you change amps often. 

witchdoctor

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2020, 09:33 pm »
I hate Blue Jeans Cables. I tried them after somebody posted about them here and they masked the music,instead of "lifting veils" it was adding veils. I find the termination as just as important or sometimes even more important than the wire.

Frank, if you add this power plug to any on the power cords on your components you will be "shocked" :lol:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4J8DZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Same holds true for their speaker terminations, banana or spade:

http://www.viborgaudio.com/en/Product/FASSDFA/

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2020, 09:51 pm »
Connectors and cords and cable..
They are all puzzling..
You can hear changes in some music
When you change them out..
But, I think it's has to be a long term
Study of your music,  vs just switching
Them and listening to a couple songs..

Years ago I didn't think it really mattered
But, over time I have seen the light..
 :popcorn:

aln

Viborg
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2020, 12:07 am »
The pure copper connectors are good.  I was using the pure copper banana before the WBT’s. 

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2020, 12:12 am »
Pure copper is way to soft for this type of connector.