Hypex Ncore Amps Announced

Rclark

Re: Hypex Ncore Amps Announced
« Reply #60 on: 20 Feb 2012, 05:54 am »

My hope is that JTWrace is silent right now because he's too busy with his soldering gun  :green:

OzarkTom

« Reply #61 on: 20 Feb 2012, 08:09 am »

This is the back of the TBI Millenia. You can see that you can use 24V AC or DC to get the 32 watts per channel. You can even use 8AA batteries and get 8 watts per channel. This amp will sound great on AC, but is at least 40% better on DC.

I wished that Bruno would make a Hypex that would run on batteries.

WC

« Reply #62 on: 20 Feb 2012, 12:08 pm »
My hope is that JTWrace is silent right now because he's too busy with his soldering gun  :green:

He currently has his Claytons for sale...

OzarkTom

« Reply #63 on: 20 Feb 2012, 12:50 pm »
I'd love to get my paws on a set of these... http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/ncore/1.html

Martin

Those are nice. I should have went to sleep last night, but after I started reading all the blogs on these Hypex module amps, I could not stop. Some buyers says it beats their OTL amps. Could this be the Class D amp that ends all tube and Class A amps?

bummrush

« Reply #64 on: 20 Feb 2012, 02:21 pm »
I listened to all the hype in 2007 ,, so I bought into it,,, my bad I used my emotions instead of brain ,,  the lesson I learned the hard way was listen first.

HT cOz

« Reply #65 on: 20 Feb 2012, 03:49 pm »
Ncore enclosures are available on my website.  If someone is interested in a free build send me a pm.

Thanks,
Robert

srb

« Reply #66 on: 20 Feb 2012, 04:00 pm »
Nice enlosure.  Hopefully Ncore module availability will catch up with the initial demand.

Steve
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012, 05:13 pm by srb »

decal

« Reply #67 on: 20 Feb 2012, 04:33 pm »
This amp will sound great on AC, but is at least 40% better on DC.

Just curious, how did you come to this conclusion?

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #68 on: 20 Feb 2012, 04:36 pm »

I listened to all the hype in 2007 ,, so I bought into it,,, my bad I used my emotions instead of brain ,,  the lesson I learned the hard way was listen first.

Tell us more please Bummrush.

What Hype and what Hypex?

What sound did it have, and what can you compare it to?

Rocket_Ronny

OzarkTom

« Reply #69 on: 20 Feb 2012, 04:50 pm »
Just curious, how did you come to this conclusion?

By hooking it up to the battery and listening. A friend of mine tried it on his system and he thought it was a bigger improvement than 40%. It depends on how revealing the system is.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #70 on: 20 Feb 2012, 04:56 pm »

This is the back of the TBI Millenia. You can see that you can use 24V AC or DC to get the 32 watts per channel. You can even use 8AA batteries and get 8 watts per channel. This amp will sound great on AC, but is at least 40% better on DC.

Nice amp.  Would love to hear it on a good mid-to-high-sensitivity speaker.  I fully support battery use for any purpose, and support proper battery disposal. 

All non-functioning amps sound the same (i.e. discharged batteries).  32W is of no practical use in many if not most applications (I need 200Wrms @ 4 Ohms minimum).  What is your amp's power spec when the batteries are half-discharged?  How do you monitor battery current?   

Lastly, the better the quality/the less hash on the AC power supply the less will batteries improve performance.  Escrow closed on this new-never-before-occupied single family north Utah residence December 2006 (gated community started early 2000s, about 130 residences, most detached single-family buildings).  The sound quality never changes here, a far cray from my last residence in CA where it changed by the hour. 

I wished that Bruno would make a Hypex that would run on batteries.
I think he does.  Buy the Ncore and make your own power supply.  Bring a Prius battery pack for 600W @ 2 Ohms, less battery current = less power.  I think Bruno published all relevant power supply requirements.

Let us know how it sounds!    :) 
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2012, 08:17 pm by James Romeyn »

Rclark

« Reply #71 on: 20 Feb 2012, 07:39 pm »
Bumrush, before you continue to go off half cocked you really should actually read the white paper, the tech pda's, and the diyaudio thread, the 6moons preview, and consider the posts in this thread here, and consider who wrote them. This one does not appear to be your run of the mill '07 digital amp.

"In Those Days (an inexpensive game changer amp shall come and) There Shall Be Weeping And Gnashing Teeth" - Revelations

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #72 on: 20 Feb 2012, 08:26 pm »

I'm anxious to learn of anyone who had speakers well suited to 60W OTL and who owned 60W OTL and Clayton amps and replaced them with circa 07 digital amps.  Really anxious.  Two such OTL owners (one also owns Clayton pure class A linear) replaced them with Ncore.  Clayton and OTL powering suitable load are not run of the mill amps by any metric.       

What are the absolutely best performing linear amps you've owned, auditioned at home, or auditioned carefully enough to make valid conclusions?     

Phil

« Reply #73 on: 20 Feb 2012, 08:41 pm »
Having owned an early generation digital amp and now playing with a very inexpensive digital amp based upon the latest ICE module, it is very clear that significant progress has been made.  Reading reviews of amps with the previous and current ICE modules, it appears that this latest ICE iteration has addressed previous concerns/dislikes. 

I'd love to hear the Ncore too.  The designer's opinion that it just amplifies is exactly what I have been thinking about the new ICE.  Perhaps one difference is that the Ncore folks don't think the module needs tweaking with input stages and the like, whereas it seems most serious amp designers seem to add such "enhancements" to the ICE.

Phil

Rclark

« Reply #74 on: 20 Feb 2012, 08:55 pm »
The good news for oems and <$1000 amp.builders is that the nc400 is DIY. The foreseeable impact should be small enough to maneuver through.

decal

« Reply #75 on: 20 Feb 2012, 10:20 pm »
By hooking it up to the battery and listening. A friend of mine tried it on his system and he thought it was a bigger improvement than 40%. It depends on how revealing the system is.

I realize you can hear the difference,the percentage number is what I'm wondering about. How does one go about figuring a percentage of how better something sounds over something else? Like I said before, I'm just curious. :scratch:

Rclark

« Reply #76 on: 20 Feb 2012, 10:22 pm »
He was referring to a different amp that he just got

bummrush

« Reply #77 on: 20 Feb 2012, 10:34 pm »
Had a B C int and Red Dragon Mini's 2007 amps

OzarkTom

« Reply #78 on: 20 Feb 2012, 11:48 pm »

I realize you can hear the difference,the percentage number is what I'm wondering about. How does one go about figuring a percentage of how better something sounds over something else? Like I said before, I'm just curious. :scratch:

Now I am curious, how long have you been in the audio world? You have never heard of a percentage better between two components? I have been hearing that remark from other audiophiles for the last 30+ years. Maybe I am just from the old school.

Actually, I was just being conservative on the 40% figure. My friend that borrowed my amp thought I was BS'ing him on this high of a figure. He tried the amp on his Tonian's and he thought the amp was bigger than a 40% improvement on DC. The other day, he even told me that this syatem beats his modified stack Quads with the NYAL OTL tube amps. My buddy Rex said he now hears the singer lick or smack their lips in between verses, I do too. Rex said for his first time, this amp pinpoints individual instruments in the soundfield instead of smearing them. Hmmm, sounds like he is talking about how good that everyone is saying about the Hypex.

This TBI amp sounds very good on AC, but when you hear just the first note of music powered by DC, the improvement is not a slight one, it slaps you in the face. I would call that at least a 40% improvement, give or take 10%. Rex calls it a 50% improvement over AC.

Rclark

« Reply #79 on: 21 Feb 2012, 12:03 am »
Im with you Tom, I'm going to try and find out what they say about battery PS for Ncore.

gonna take a lot of big batteries for these though!