A preamp at a budget

youra6

Re: A preamp at a budget
« Reply #20 on: 5 Sep 2012, 12:37 pm »
I've crossed passive off the list, but I did see the Luminous and researched about it. Price is very, very solid.

I've actually chosen to with the Cary AES/AE3 pre. I also bought a GFP 565 because I was too conflicted.

Thanks guys for all your help!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #21 on: 5 Sep 2012, 05:43 pm »
I recommend the Bottlehead Quickie.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #22 on: 6 Sep 2012, 12:51 am »

I've actually chosen to with the Cary AES/AE3 pre. I also bought a GFP 565 because I was too conflicted.

Thanks guys for all your help!

Nice, I was tempted to contact the poster/seller about that one myself ;)

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #23 on: 6 Sep 2012, 03:29 pm »
Well the op has chosen, but I was wondering how good is the Bottlehead Quickie at $99?  The Bottlehead site says the simplicity is what makes it sound so good, but I can't help thinking if that were completely true all preamps would cost $99.  Okay, add a couple dollars if you want more inputs than two, but you get the drift.  So for those who have heard it, how good can $99 sound?

srb

« Reply #24 on: 6 Sep 2012, 04:05 pm »
Well the op has chosen, but I was wondering how good is the Bottlehead Quickie at $99?  The Bottlehead site says the simplicity is what makes it sound so good, but I can't help thinking if that were completely true all preamps would cost $99.  Okay, add a couple dollars if you want more inputs than two, but you get the drift.  So for those who have heard it, how good can $99 sound?

Well, this $99 preamp differs from most preamps in that
1.  It is a kit of parts that must be hand wired, not an assembled preamp
2.  It has no AC power supply, but instead a few dollars worth of battery holders
3.  It comes with a plastic (random color) chassis plate, but no enclosure

So for what you get (or don't get), there's no reason why it couldn't sound as good (or better) as many $500 - $1000 assembled preamps with an AC power supply.

Although I might be convinced to go battery power with a single SLA, Lithium or LiFePO4, I wouldn't be too keen in a component that requires 2 D-cell batteries and 4 9V batteries.  However others might, and there is a certain fascination akin to a science fair project.

BTW, it does have two switchable inputs standard.

Steve

usp1

« Reply #25 on: 6 Sep 2012, 04:22 pm »
Nice, I was tempted to contact the poster/seller about that one myself ;)

Why didn't you... :)

In any case, the pre was shipped out today. It is a wonderful little preamp.

jackman

« Reply #26 on: 6 Sep 2012, 05:02 pm »
The quickie looks interesting.  I was going to recommend the Optocoupler kit.  For the money, it's a nice passive preamp.  I'm not sold on passives but this one sounded very good to my ears, in my system. 

bhakti

« Reply #27 on: 6 Sep 2012, 05:24 pm »
I have a Quickie that is not being used - pm me if interested.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #28 on: 6 Sep 2012, 07:16 pm »
Well, the nice thing about Bottlehead kits is that they come bare bones with the expectation that the builder can experiment with better parts or custom layouts.  Even stock they offer really good sound quality for the money.

To add to the previous listed qualities don't forget these also use Single-End Triode tubes which can be found for a few bucks each.

I've modded mine with upgraded output caps (Clarity MR series), Homegrownaudio cotton-wrapped pure silver wire, the PJCCS power supply upgrade circuit, rechargeable 12V Power Sonic batteries for the B+ and used bricks of foam for a base.

I thought it was decent in its stock form but adding the PJCCS improved soundstaging and bass and lowered the distortion.  I tried a couple of different output caps but with the MR caps the resolution of this preamp made my jaw drop! 

To give fair warning the Quickie isn't perfect.  The 3S4 tubes tend to be VERY microphonic and sensitive to vibrations.  Vibration isolation is very important.  Even bumping the attached cables can cause a little ringing but once everything settles down it sounds great.

My next project is to build a quickie in a large aluminum box with dual-mono volume controls, all film caps, and dual outputs for adding a subwoofer.

Here's a video showing off my stereo back in 2010 shortly after I purchased the Quickie. 
http://youtu.be/M1yEQBGvjgA

youra6

« Reply #29 on: 6 Sep 2012, 11:13 pm »
For those who want an enclosure for a quickie, what are some good options? And I agree, that thing DOES look very minimalistic.

Wayner

« Reply #30 on: 6 Sep 2012, 11:49 pm »
My suggestion is to find an old AVA preamp in the used bin. It will perform better then almost anything out there, and can be had for a modest sum. Another brand is Marantz. I really like the 3300 and the 3800.
But there is also a risk buying used stuff, because some dope thought that replacing all the caps would make it sound better, and usually, made it sound worse, (cause they did not understand how capacitors worked and bought into the current state of mind foolishness).

Here is my Marantz 3300:

Wayner

Ericus Rex

« Reply #31 on: 7 Sep 2012, 12:02 am »
My suggestion is to find an old AVA preamp in the used bin. It will perform better then almost anything out there, and can be had for a modest sum. Another brand is Marantz. I really like the 3300 and the 3800.
But there is also a risk buying used stuff, because some dope thought that replacing all the caps would make it sound better, and usually, made it sound worse, (cause they did not understand how capacitors worked and bought into the current state of mind foolishness).

Here is my Marantz 3300:

Wayner

That's a real beauty, Wayner!  Is it ss or tube?

youra6

« Reply #32 on: 7 Sep 2012, 03:56 am »

Wayner

I was originally looking for vintage gear. Couple of things that deterred me from vintage gear, some of which you have addressed

1. Everyone thinks their gear is "vintage" and prices are often way too high
2. Those clueless about audio gear usually is clueless on how to maintain their gear.
3. Caps age and needs to be replaced anyways

bhakti

« Reply #33 on: 7 Sep 2012, 04:03 am »
my thoughts on vintage (oh I thought you would be thrilled)

That's all folks!  :lol: