Tom Christiansen Audio HPA-1 Update

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Tom Christiansen Audio HPA-1 Update
« on: 7 Dec 2019, 01:12 am »
For anyone interested....Tom Christiansen Audio's upcoming SS HPA-1 has hit a snag with the amp case manufacturer, so delivery has been pushed back to <approximately> the third week in January. Here's a reprint of Tom's announcement:

"As you may have read on Audio Science Review, my chassis vendor for the HPA-1 suffered a setback in their production of the aluminum extrusions needed for the HPA-1 chassis. As result, they had to start over on the production. Unfortunately, this means the chassis will not ship until the middle of January, which means I can't ship until about the third week of January at the earliest.
This delay is incredibly frustrating, as I had pulled out all stops to get the HPA-1 ready in time for Christmas. Sadly, this production issue is completely beyond my control. I can only thank my vendor for being honest and upfront about it.

The good news is that the circuit boards needed for the first 50 HPA-1s will be ready by Monday. All I need now is the chassis. I have a few prototype chassis reserved for demo units, so I should be able to get an HPA-1 to Amir at Audio Science Review for review and measurements. At least then you'll know what you can look forward to.

Again, I profusely apologize for the delay. Thank you again for your patience and support. I really appreciate it. Expect good things to happen early next year.

Thanks,

Tom"

adydula

• Restricted
Re: Tom Christiansen Audio HPA-1 Update
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2019, 01:14 am »
Yeah...I saw that...its frustrating for sure!

But its not that far off!!

:>)

Alex

A_shah

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2019, 09:54 am »
For anyone interested....Tom Christiansen Audio's upcoming SS HPA-1 has hit a snag with the amp case manufacturer, so delivery has been pushed back to <approximately> the third week in January. Here's a reprint of Tom's announcement:

"As you may have read on Audio Science Review, my chassis vendor for the HPA-1 suffered a setback in their production of the aluminum extrusions needed for the HPA-1 chassis. As result, they had to start over on the production. Unfortunately, this means the chassis will not ship until the middle of January, which means I can't ship until about the third week of January at the earliest.
This delay is incredibly frustrating, as I had pulled out all stops to get the HPA-1 ready in time for Christmas. Sadly, this production issue is completely beyond my control. I can only thank my vendor for being honest and upfront about it.

The good news is that the circuit boards needed for the first 50 HPA-1s will be ready by Monday. All I need now is the chassis. I have a few prototype chassis reserved for demo units, so I should be able to get an HPA-1 to Amir at Audio Science Review for review and measurements. At least then you'll know what you can look forward to.

Again, I profusely apologize for the delay. Thank you again for your patience and support. I really appreciate it. Expect good things to happen early next year.

Thanks,

Tom"

Michael,
will the HPA-1  units be available for Demo  when you get it ! Just picked up 2 sets of  Wywire Diamond IC cables from Alex at Wywire !  , very impressed by the Diamond Interconnects , they just vanish in the system  they will compliment my new Daedalus/Wywire speaker cables  :popcorn:

mresseguie

« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2019, 02:47 pm »
Michael,
will the HPA-1  units be available for Demo  when you get it ! Just picked up 2 sets of  Wywire Diamond IC cables from Alex at Wywire !  , very impressed by the Diamond Interconnects , they just vanish in the system  they will compliment my new Daedalus/Wywire speaker cables  :popcorn:

Ashgar,

Yup 。Nothing has changed regarding my plans for my HPA-1. Well, the only change is that the start date has been pushed back by one month. The end date will be around the middle of (or end of) March.

Nice find on the ICs. Have you found audio nirvana?  :thumb:

mrapol

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2019, 02:57 pm »
This might be a long shot, but I just registered and don't appear to have authorization to make posts myself yet.

I see though that in your picture you have what appears to be a tube amp. Are you knowledgeable about these, I have a few questions about a particular Cary model and am hoping to find someone that might be able to give me a little more information and the possible value of one. If you or anyone you know can help me will you please let me know. Thanks so much and sorry to ask a question unrelated to your original post.

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2019, 06:17 pm »
This might be a long shot, but I just registered and don't appear to have authorization to make posts myself yet.

I see though that in your picture you have what appears to be a tube amp. Are you knowledgeable about these, I have a few questions about a particular Cary model and am hoping to find someone that might be able to give me a little more information and the possible value of one. If you or anyone you know can help me will you please let me know. Thanks so much and sorry to ask a question unrelated to your original post.

Ask your question in the Tube-o-phile Circle.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2019, 09:22 pm »
I'd also be worried about naming it HPA-1. Isn't the Pass Labs named HPA-1?

mresseguie

« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2019, 02:55 am »
I'd also be worried about naming it HPA-1. Isn't the Pass Labs named HPA-1?

Oh, You're correct about the Pass HPA-1. I'll ask Tom about it.

mresseguie

« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2019, 02:59 am »

Mrapol,

Questions are alway encouraged. However, in this situation, the Admin is correct in that your question would best be addressed in the Tube-o-phile circle. The folks who tend to hang out there are very knowledgeable. While I do own some tube gear, my experience is very limited to three or four brands. I know precious little about Cary products, so I'm not qualified to answer your question.

Michael

A_shah

« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2019, 07:33 am »
Ashgar,

Yup 。Nothing has changed regarding my plans for my HPA-1. Well, the only change is that the start date has been pushed back by one month. The end date will be around the middle of (or end of) March.

Nice find on the ICs. Have you found audio nirvana?  :thumb:

Michael
Nirvana is a never ending quest :P some time I do with something new and than again I am at Square one !  :duh:but pretty satisfied with the high Quality of music from my system or systems that I have I am always tweaking to get the 9th out of the music !
Asghar

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2019, 01:19 pm »
Finding it might not be fun !!!

Imagine not getting any new toys !!!

:>)

Alex

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2019, 11:33 pm »
It looks really good from a measurement perspective for sure....now we have a bunch of less than $1000 amps that are close and should provide us all a great audio experience..

« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2020, 02:23 am by adydula »

mresseguie

« Reply #13 on: 16 Dec 2019, 11:58 pm »
Anand,

Thank you for the link.

I'm looking forward to my HPA-1 once I'm back from the fun and food of Taiwan - already gained a couple pounds. Someone will have to play with it until I'm back.

Michael

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2019, 12:22 am »
I had to alert the reviewer to the repeated misspellings of Tom’s last name.

It’s Christiansen not Christansen.

#respect

I’m looking forward to my Neurochrome HP2 diy kit build and will probably send it over to ASR with both the original switcher supply and my custom linear supply. The linear supply is just for giggles, we’ll see if it makes any difference at all!

Best,
Anand.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2019, 01:55 pm »
Will be interesting to compare to the THX stuff and Schitts new Magni Hersey...

Alex
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2020, 02:25 am by adydula »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 9 Feb 2020, 09:10 pm »
Yesterday I had a chance to try the HPA-1 at the Florida Audio Expo. While I'm not a headphone guy, the sounds was great with no downfalls that I heard or the measurements suggest. For $899, it's a no brainer if cans are your thing. The unit is very tidy externally, and there was a clear cover on one HPA-1 at the station and the board is just spotless. Well done TCA!

I look forward to the future offerings as he had a prototype of a smallish headphone amp there.

https://www.tomchr.com/products/hpa-1

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2020, 03:38 pm »
The amp has exceptional specs for sure.

$899 for some might be up there and there is competition with good specs at lower cost...

« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2020, 02:26 am by adydula »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2020, 03:47 pm »
Another product that has balanced on one side (input/output) and single ended on the other.  What's up with that?

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2020, 04:36 pm »
Tom will have to speak to that.

« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2020, 02:27 am by adydula »