Re: Evolution DAC
« Reply #100 on: 26 Dec 2018, 04:34 am »
Unity gain?

rustydoglim

« Reply #101 on: 26 Dec 2018, 04:50 am »
Our engineers are not too sure what you want, so this is the answer they gave:
0 dB=2 Vrms with Volume=87; +6 dB=4 Vrms with Volume=99

Note that each of our DAC has its own non-linear volume curve (it is not incrementing linearly with 0.5 dB)

Samoyed

« Reply #102 on: 26 Dec 2018, 02:50 pm »
Thanks!

Tom Davis

« Reply #103 on: 27 Dec 2018, 04:03 pm »
Has anyone tried using the Evo Dac's volume control directly into a power amp? I'm moving to a Pass XA-25 amp and am seriously thinking of using the Evo Dac directly in. Your thoughts?

Tom

Samoyed

« Reply #104 on: 27 Dec 2018, 04:18 pm »
I’ll let you know in a week. I’m traveling but plan to try a Rotel rb1590 on return.

John Casler

« Reply #105 on: 27 Dec 2018, 05:05 pm »
Has anyone tried using the Evo Dac's volume control directly into a power amp? I'm moving to a Pass XA-25 amp and am seriously thinking of using the Evo Dac directly in. Your thoughts?

Tom

I just delivered the Evo DAC to one of my favorite Customers with a pair of Evo Monoblocs, and he reads AC, so we may be getting a mini-report shortly.

His is an "all NuPRIME" system, with a CDT-8 PRO, Evo DAC, and Evo Monoblocs.

Samoyed

« Reply #106 on: 27 Dec 2018, 06:11 pm »
CDT pro 8 sounds wonderful with the evo dac and 12s connection.

Samoyed

« Reply #107 on: 2 Jan 2019, 01:16 pm »
Our engineers are not too sure what you want, so this is the answer they gave:
0 dB=2 Vrms with Volume=87; +6 dB=4 Vrms with Volume=99

Note that each of our DAC has its own non-linear volume curve (it is not incrementing linearly with 0.5 dB)

Works great!  Thanks.

Samoyed

« Reply #108 on: 4 Jan 2019, 10:05 pm »
Well, I’m delighted with this DAC. I’m waiting on an Innuos zen mini streamer, and I’ll continue the preliminary review.

Two things: I wish I had a paper manual, but the on line copy seems really to give short shrift to all the features and how to use each, and here is the level of detail I BELIEVE I’m hearing-when a singer turns slightly from the mic you can tell!  Wow. 😺

rustydoglim

« Reply #109 on: 6 Jan 2019, 01:44 am »
The paper manual and online manual are exactly the same.
There are some features like phase change and if you don't know what it is, or not sure you need to change it, don't touch it.

Tell me what more you think are missing from the manual and I will write FAQ to cover it.

Samoyed

« Reply #110 on: 6 Jan 2019, 01:46 am »
Yes, I know, but I’d like a paper one. Someday, when you don’t see so well, you’ll understand. My point is that the manual is incomplete. I understand phase, and that is a very minor example of what is incomplete.

I’m reminded of an old saw: I once was as you are now.  As I am now, so shall you be.

Samoyed

« Reply #111 on: 8 Jan 2019, 07:19 pm »
Rusty, can I use the Evolution dac as a preamp to directly drive a Rotel RB 1590 amp?

Continuing with my journey with the Evolution, while waiting on the Innuos zen mini, I had an interesting experience yesterday.

I’m using a Bluesound Node 2, with coax, and Tidal, connected with xlr cables to a Kinki ex M1 integrated.

Let me say I’ve never believed in solid state burn in. I have no basis for this other than experience.

About three hours in, there was a very sudden change in the sound stage. It seemed I was completely enveloped in a “cloud” of sound, as if I were literally sitting in the room with the performers. I use the term cloud to describe the boundaries of the effect, since the music was clear and very realistic. It was what I regard as 3d, and I was stunned. I have no idea how many hours I have on the DAC, but this was so quick I couldn’t believe it.

I’m very happy to have bought this DAC.

Back to the manual, and I’ll not bring this up, again. Most instructions are conclusory in form, without the steps required to get there. Also, I merely suspect there are many undocumented or partially documented features I can’t find or infer, so for me to point them out begs the question, and wrongly assumes I know or can infer their existence.

I’d still love a paper manual....

John Casler

« Reply #112 on: 8 Jan 2019, 08:06 pm »
Rusty, can I use the Evolution dac as a preamp to directly drive a Rotel RB 1590 amp?

YES. . . .that is EXACTLY what the EVO DAC is for.

As long as it has the Preamp Properties you need (no analog input) it is the BEST you will find in the price point or far above.

Might be time to consider selling the Rotel, and the Kinki ex M1. and go FULL EVO.

Samoyed

« Reply #113 on: 8 Jan 2019, 08:07 pm »
Yes, I’m headed that way quickly. I can only hide so much from She Who Must Be Obeyed....🙀

Samoyed

« Reply #114 on: 9 Jan 2019, 04:18 pm »
Wow, John, the Evolution DAC and Rotel RB 1590 sound wonderful. This DAC/pre is worth every dollar!

Now, if I could just get the remote to stop turning on my LG OLED.... :duh:

Samoyed

« Reply #115 on: 10 Jan 2019, 03:06 am »
Note to buyers-use this as a preamp!  It is lovely, fluid, extremely detailed, and the soundstage is enormous and deep!

Now, to my problem: I have a lovely Kinki ex M1 to get rid of, which, with typical source inputs sounds wonderful. I thought it sounded great using this as a DAC, but wow, the Evo shines as a preamp and a DAC. 👍

Samoyed

« Reply #116 on: 10 Jan 2019, 03:39 pm »
Rusty, any chance of a faq or post explaining the specifications of the various filters? 

I think my goal is an “all” Nuprime system as I love the looks, function, sound and workmanship.

I’m considering two st10m amps to go with the Evolution DAC and I hope you and John comment. My speakers are KEF 900s.

Thanks

rustydoglim

« Reply #117 on: 10 Jan 2019, 08:36 pm »
Rusty, any chance of a faq or post explaining the specifications of the various filters? 

No. Because it is our design secrets and specific to Evo DAC's power requirement.  In the Pure AC-4 (I think every NuPrime customer shoud get one, it only retails for $649, coming out soon) we have different AC Filter design then those in Evo DAC.

Samoyed

« Reply #118 on: 10 Jan 2019, 08:41 pm »
Not the ac filters but the ess DAC filters, such as brick wall, etc. I have read about the various DAC filters in other places and wonder what each does. The on line manual simply names each, but not their specs. For example, which frequencies does the brick wall affect, and so on.

Page 9 of the manual lists 7 ‘digital filters” and it would be helpful to have the specs for each.

I do NOT desire design information of any kind.

Thanks

rustydoglim

« Reply #119 on: 10 Jan 2019, 08:46 pm »
Oh, those.  I was wondering about them too, so I asked our engineer.
His answer: can't tell the difference in sound, don't play with it, they are not relevant for music listening.