Nuforce amps: which preamps sing with these amps?

Adamay

« on: 1 Aug 2005, 09:00 pm »
I'm especially interested in hearing reports from Nuforce users.  Which preamps work for you?  What comparisons have you done?  I've got a pair of the 70-watters, love them, and am using a Channel Islands passive.  I'm wondering in particular whether a tubed pre would give me even an bigger, deeper soundstage (with some loss in detail, of course).

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2005, 09:13 pm »
Adamay,

I've used the Modwright SWL9.0SE and the VTL 5.5 with the Ref8's, both being tubed preamps. I've also used a Mark Levinson 380 with the amps.

I really like the combination of the tubed preamps with the NuForce amps. The soundstage is much larger and a little sweeter depending on the amp used. The Levinson increases the soundstage as well, but the sound is a little more anylitical than with the tube preamps. All the preamps used in front of the source seem to add to the presentation more than taking a source direct.

I have a Levinson 39 CD player with digital attenuation and I've run it direct to the amps. While the signal is more pure in this configuration, I wouldn't say it's better. I feel it's lacking something that the active preamps add and is more to my liking.

Hope this helps a little.

Carlman

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2005, 09:23 pm »
I used the TacT 2.2x with a pair and had excellent results.  Buttery smooth and a joy to listen to... see my comments in the NC Audiocircle...

giannettino

Re: Nuforce amps: which preamps sing with these amps?
« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2005, 08:21 pm »
Quote from: Adamay
I'm especially interested in hearing reports from Nuforce users.  Which preamps work for you?  What comparisons have you done?  I've got a pair of the 70-watters, love them, and am using a Channel Islands passive.  I'm wondering in particular whether a tubed pre would give me even an bigger, deeper soundstage (with some loss in detail, of course).

I'm very..very happy with my ARC SP9 and Nuforce Ref8..of course. The tubes are Amperex Bugle Boy..

Ciao
Gianni

earthpulse

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2005, 06:47 pm »
I'm using a Sonic Euphoria passive autotransformer volume control.

WRP

Re: Nuforce amps: which preamps sing with these amps?
« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2005, 12:02 am »
I'm using a Audio Zone PRE-T1 passive transformer-coupled preamp with great results.

Adamay

Thanks, folks... and a question for WRP
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2005, 08:11 pm »
WRP, are you the poster on the Audiogon board who was auditioning a number of the new "switching" amps against each other?  If so, I was waiting to read your review.  I take it you settled on the Nuforce amps?  Best regards.  BTW, I have a custom tubed pre on the way, and will see how that works with my Nuforces.

WRP

« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2005, 10:20 pm »
Adamay,

That would be me.  I've held off on the review pending receipt and break-in of my new speakers (Devore Silverback References).  Also, Jason informed me that I should stop by the shop to get the 8.01 upgrade installed within a few weeks.  Given these two variables, I decided to hold off on the review until all the pieces were in place.

In the mean time im "making do" listening to my Amazon/Triplanar/ZYX vinyl and VRS digital rigs through Vandersteen 5s  :cry:

giannettino

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2005, 07:40 pm »
Quote from: earthpulse
I'm using a Sonic Euphoria passive autotransformer volume control.

Hi..i'm very curious about thath..some details? :o
Grazie
Gianni

P.S.: excuse for my "english" :?

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2005, 12:35 pm »
Tact Audio preamps... www.tactlabs.com....a sensational match.  I've tried a number of others, but the Tact bested them all by a pretty good margin....  find your local dealer and arrange for an in home demo.  You'll thank me for it later :)

mmakshak

Tact preamp
« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2005, 05:16 am »
I'm a bit afraid of digital anything.  It seems to hit me above the adam's apple(with tension).  Tension is not why I listen to music.  Does the Tact exhibit this?  I am unbelievably sensitive in this area(hence, I don't listen to commercial albums made after 1983).

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
Re: Tact preamp
« Reply #11 on: 26 Aug 2005, 02:31 pm »
Quote from: mmakshak
I'm a bit afraid of digital anything.  It seems to hit me above the adam's apple(with tension).  Tension is not why I listen to music.  Does the Tact exhibit this?  I am unbelievably sensitive in this area(hence, I don't listen to commercial albums made after 1983).

Not even close.  I am the exact same way and am seemingly more sensitive than a lot of others to certain characteristics and/or frequency bands.  The Tact preamps are infinitely listenable and they minimize so many bad things that the room and your gear is doing to the final result at your listening chair.  It makes digital music infinitely listenable and you can tailor the sound to your liking thanks to the room correction in the digital domain

The one and only knock I've heard or read on message boards is that some folks don't like it as much as their tube amps on vinyl.  I don't do vinyl anymore as its just too darn much work for me.  I'm lazy and like having my music collection at the touch of wireless keyboard key.  Try to find a local dealer that will let you do an in home audition.  It's a great thing for you as you get to try it out in your own rig to see if it right for you.  Plus it is an opportunity for your dealer to show you how the Tact works.  I enjoy doing this because it's been an extremely high percentage of folks ordering a unit after they hear it this way....

styx

« Reply #12 on: 21 Mar 2006, 03:56 pm »
I'm bumping this old thread as I need some advice on preamps. My system is very neutral and sounds very good, but I'm curious to see what tubes can do for my system. My system so far:

M-Audio Delta 1010LT -> Benchmark DAC1 -> NuForce Ref. 8 -> DCA 2.0

The volume is attenuated digitally on my computer.

The three preamps I've been looking at so far are the ModWright  SWL 9.0SE, the SAS B10A and the Dodd Audio battery powered preamp. Alas, I seriously doubt I'll ever be able to audition any of them without purchasing, as I live in Norway. So, first of all, will a tube preamp only be another unnecessary component in my chain, or is it likely to actually add something valuable like a larger soundstage or better dynamics to my system?

Second of all, have any of you heard any of the beforementioned preamps with the NuForce amplifiers? Is my money better spent by upgrading to NuForce Reference 9?

Best regards,

miklorsmith

« Reply #13 on: 21 Mar 2006, 04:38 pm »
I'd be looking to a 6sn7-based preamp.

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #14 on: 22 Mar 2006, 04:03 am »
if i were you i would try a p-8 first, the p-8 and ref 9 combo are hard to beat,

styx

« Reply #15 on: 22 Mar 2006, 03:23 pm »
Quote from: beachbum
if i were you i would try a p-8 first, the p-8 and ref 9 combo are hard to beat,

The question is, would it add anything worthwhile to my system except more inputs and a remote? The Benchmark DAC1 seems to drive the NuForces just fine, and has a very low output impedance. If the P-8 does nothing but attenuate I'd rather spend my money elsewhere :)

Thanks for the tip though, it might be worthwhile to check out!

miklorsmith

« Reply #16 on: 22 Mar 2006, 03:34 pm »
I would speculate that if you want the "tough dirt" on synergy, you should posit this query outside the NuForce circle.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 22 Mar 2006, 06:25 pm »
We offer full money back guarrantee and the best way to check it out is to listen for yourself.

Karsten

« Reply #18 on: 22 Mar 2006, 07:24 pm »
The P-8 is well worth checking out. Personally I'm very impressed with this one, in absolute terms.

Brg,
Karsten

drewfidelity

« Reply #19 on: 23 Mar 2006, 05:51 am »
I am using the Artemis Labs LA-1 Preamp with a pair of NuForce Reference 9.02 driving a pair of Talon Peregrines and I am again up too late unable to stop listening.  This is a great combination.  I am sure that the NuForce preamps are amazing, these guys know what they are doing, but I am a sucker for a tubed pre.  In my humble opinion solid state amplifier/tubed preamplifier is the peanut butter/jelly combination of the audio world.

Obviously intellectual capacity is not one of my great strengths at One in the morning........