Belles Amps

VinceT

Belles Amps
« on: 23 Jan 2023, 04:08 pm »
I know a few members had experiences with Belles amps here on AC

I picked up a 150a V2. I am really enjoying it. The sound stage width is incredible. Sometimes it does cause some listening fatigue.

I was running a topping e30 and it was very harsh and fatiguing. I used my audible illusions pre amp and it calmed it down.

Last night I was playing vinyl, and again it was very enjoyable but also caused fatigue. I  going to keep spinning for a while to see if things calm down and break on my preamp tubes more on my AI preamp.

Just wondering if anyone experienced anything similar with Belles amps?

« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2023, 04:43 pm by VinceT »

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Belles Amps - Fatigue?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2023, 04:44 pm »
A friend of mine has a Belles Hotrod 150 and it is not fatiguing.  However, I heard it with a Marantz 8001 SACD player and an ARC Hybrid tube preamp.  Speakers were PSB Synchony's.

VinceT

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2023, 06:04 pm »
The dac in my Denon avr was much better compared to the topping with the Belles amp.

What surprised me how the sound was with vinyl and my tube pre. I never had an issue before with other amps with that set up. I got the same fatigue with the dac so I know it has something to do with the amp.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2023, 11:55 pm »
The dac in my Denon avr was much better compared to the topping with the Belles amp.

What surprised me how the sound was with vinyl and my tube pre. I never had an issue before with other amps with that set up. I got the same fatigue with the dac so I know it has something to do with the amp.

Are you finding it bright sounding?

VinceT

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2023, 12:22 am »
Are you finding it bright sounding?

I would not say overly bright. It actually sounds quite nice in some ways.

The fatigue sensation reminds me as if I was at a really loud concert, how the sound and sensation of pressurizing my ears, but this it normal listening levels. I really do not know how else to describe it.

I am going to go through my set up and move a few things around to make sure there are not any potential electrical interference issues with IC and speaker wire etc.

artur9

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2023, 12:48 am »
Maybe a power cleaner?  Can't really recommend one but one did make a noticeable difference on my Odyssey Audio amps.

VinceT

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2023, 12:50 am »
Maybe a power cleaner?  Can't really recommend one but one did make a noticeable difference on my Odyssey Audio amps.

I think it would help, but don't have this issue with other amps in the same set up. Going to rule out any electrical issues criss crossing wires and power cords etc. and go from there.

seikosha

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2023, 01:25 am »
That’s a pretty old amp isn’t it?  It’s quite possible it’s out of spec.

VinceT

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2023, 01:44 am »
That’s a pretty old amp isn’t it?  It’s quite possible it’s out of spec.

It's a teenager for sure

jjss49

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2023, 03:56 am »
fwiw i do feel that belles' amp voicing is a little on the bright side, compared to the best of breed, ultra suave and smooth top tier ss power amps (pass labs/first watt, accuphase, upper hegel, best of classe, ayre acoustics and so on...) -- i had the aria integrated which could be a little sizzly and unruly up top, and i have kept a beloved sa30 class a amp -- love that amp, but it is a touch lively/airy on top, but much more controlled than the belles class ab stablemates

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2023, 12:40 pm »
If your Topping E30 is bright there something wrong.  It's the absolute opposite of bright, it's normal signature is perhaps too laid back, too polite.  I don't think it is those things, but if I were going to fault it that's the direction I'd go, is the ultimate in smoothness, they don't call those AKM chips Velvet Sound for nothing.

VinceT

Re: Belles Amps
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2023, 04:53 pm »
The ic input and speaker terminal set up on the back of the amp is a little tricky. I moved some gear around and made sure the ics and speaker cables were carefully positioned not to cause any interference with each other and power cords etc. This made an audible difference. Like jjss49 said, the amp is hot in the highs and I got a much better result over the weekend. This amp throws such a wide and tall soundstage, very impressive.  I am using a pair of upgraded GR Encores and they can be somewhat revealing as well and really pick up on anything that is not right in the set up.