Cable management

Affordable$$Audio

Cable management
« on: 18 Feb 2007, 02:15 am »
One of the most important and overlooked areas of improving sound involves cable management.  How do you handle it based upon your rig's setup?

eico1

Re: Cable management
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2007, 03:31 am »
What do you mean by cable management? I had my cables Scotch taped together, but the tape broke so I am now going to get some real cable ties next time I see some at Home Depot or some computer place.

steve

Scott F.

« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2007, 03:42 am »
I use a combination of bread ties, electrical zip ties and gaffers tape.

TomW16

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2007, 03:50 am »
Isn't the general rule of thumb to bundle power cables to help cancel out electrical fields that they produce and to keep low level signal audio cables (i.e. interconnects) away from everything, especially power cables?

Tom

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2007, 03:53 am »
It's tough to keep them too far away.  Anything you can do to make them cross at right angles instead of running close and parallel will help minimize noise getting into low level cables.  Speaker cables aren't nearly as susceptible to radiated AC noise.

Bryan

Gordy

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2007, 04:28 am »
I used to use the plastic bundling 'zip' straps, until I discovered velcro tape at the hardware store.  Vastly superior, very easy to apply, move, adjust and it's reusable. 

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2007, 07:58 am »
I've pretty much let mine dangle to date, but I've sketched out some ideas before that includes using the bungie type meshing used in cargo areas of SUV's and the like attached to the back of the rack and used to hold the cables apart from eachother by looping through the squares in the mesh. 

MaxCast

« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2007, 12:56 pm »
I've pretty much let mine dangle to date, but I've sketched out some ideas before that includes using the bungie type meshing used in cargo areas of SUV's and the like attached to the back of the rack and used to hold the cables apart from eachother by looping through the squares in the mesh. 

That is a great idea.  In my new room I planned to leave the rack 2-3 feet from the back wall so I can get my fat ass in there.  The net would be great.

Josh, you better market a teflon net for audiophiles and sell them for $500.  Cryoed version $650.  :wink:

navi

« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2007, 12:27 am »
I have carbon graphite blocks that raise the power cables 1 inch above the ground (cables don't touch the ground)
The 2 metre interconnects from CD player to Speakers is raised with a CD stand half way between the cable.

There's no need to tie cables together unless you need to do it to keep them away from power cables....... hang loose man!

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2007, 04:03 pm »
Navi:
The guys at mapleshade would be proud of your efforts to keep cables off the floor, though I suspect they'd prefer you use their products!

Haoleb

« Reply #10 on: 4 Mar 2007, 05:57 am »
Cable management I think is one of the things I really focus on when im putting my rack together. I will disassemble it entirely and start over if I have to change out components or something. Usually spending 2 hours or so in the process routing everything and making everything as neat and flowing as possible. With 7 different sources, and 13 different components that need wires going to them, And all the equipment in an open "flexy rack" the need for cable management is definetly there for me.

I use zip ties since i always have a pretty large amount on hand being an installer for a system integration company, I also have to put these practicies into place when building a rack for a client with sometimes hundreds of wires. whenever possible Ive routed the wires to my tv through the wall, Wires from the computer on the other side of the room under the baseboard and around door trim. Its pretty clean  :thumb:

Perhaps im just too anal about having a really clean setup, I dont know how some people can live with a rats nest of wiring and components covered in dust.

mjosef

« Reply #11 on: 4 Mar 2007, 06:49 am »
I dont know how some people can live with a rats nest of wiring and components covered in dust.
Hey, are you talking about me?  :lol:
I can't seem to avoid the rats nest of wiring, since my audio and HT systems share the 5 feet space between my speakers, man there's wires everywhere  :lol:
I really need to do something about that. As for the dust part, I hate dust, find myself vacuuming very often, I even vacuum my speaker cones, very carefully.
Is there like an article dealing with cable management?

djbnh

« Reply #12 on: 4 Mar 2007, 10:23 am »
I have carbon graphite blocks that raise the power cables 1 inch above the ground (cables don't touch the ground)
Try wine corks...

martinr

« Reply #13 on: 4 Mar 2007, 11:33 am »
Signal Cable has inexpensive cable risers that are non conductive - they work well for me and the wife likes the way they look.  (The styrofoam cups I used before were torcher to her contemporary decorating taste)  aa

http://signalcable.com/cableriser.html

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2007, 12:57 am »
gentleman,

The concept of cable management is to keep them apart and raise them off any material that can introduce Static Electricity.
               Acrylic carpets  or nonwool carpets can have an adverse affect on ICs and speaker cables. Raise sprk. cable off surface with ceramic isolators used to isolate conductor wires from hanger wires in temporary lighting for construction. They are inexpensive and available at Home Depot or electrical supply.
              For ICs, I use Pumice stones to keep them separated [each pair]. Available at any drug store. Cut to size. Do not tie cables together the dielectrics will interact with each other.
              The results are definitely worth the effort. Once you try it and hear more information with a veil removed you will not let go astray again.

rollo

nature boy

« Reply #15 on: 19 Mar 2007, 01:21 am »
I use used hockey pucks, really.

NB

TONEPUB

« Reply #16 on: 23 Mar 2007, 07:04 pm »
Those little v-shaped number things they use at Carls Jr. are great
if you cut a little notch in them!!

S Clark

« Reply #17 on: 23 Mar 2007, 09:40 pm »
Did I read this right? The idea is reduce EMF interference due to static charges built up in a carpet with a non moving piece of wire?  Any static would dissapate in an hour or less depending on conditions, and besides, don't move your wires around before playing music and you don't build up charge.  Seriously, I'm not trying to blast anyone--am I missing something? :scratch: :scratch:

S Clark

« Reply #18 on: 24 Mar 2007, 11:45 pm »
bump.. still looking for an answer

oracle309

Re: Cable management...oops, I guess I should intoduce myself...
« Reply #19 on: 16 Apr 2007, 02:55 am »
I'm stew nelless, one of the writers for A$$A.

Cable management, although in theory is easy, in practice can be difficult. It depends if you must share your audio space with other electronic stuff, a wife, kids, pets, etc.

I often "suspend" my cables off of the back of my equipment rack (all metal construction), using  nylon upholsterer's thread. This stuff is tough and has a breaking strength in excess of  100 lbs. If you can keep the wires separate at the back of the rack, that seems to me to be a good basic set-up.

Porcelain can be interesting to hold speaker cables off the floor, but I've never tried them because of the pets in our house. The cats would be all over the insulators or elevators or whatever you may wish to call them. 

AC cables are another practical, tough one to solve. Do you use power bars? If so, commercial or DIY types. Regardless how much we may all hate them, sometimes they are a necessary evil. I know I have to.