small wireless internet radio?

rabbits

small wireless internet radio?
« on: 17 Aug 2018, 04:59 am »
I use a wireless router. None of my home systems have wireless so I have to hard wire to the router to use internet radio. This is OK for my main system because I can use my TV to navigate, but I'd like some sort of small radio and/

or internet tuner in other areas of the house that will receive via my wireless router. I listen to one Classical station in particular (WCPE 89.7) and would like to have a little radio in a downstairs bedroom to listen to when I am not upstairs with my main system. Any suggestions or guidance would be much appreciated

JohnR

Re: small wireless internet radio?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2018, 05:05 am »
Requests for Help is for site-related issues, so I'll move this somewhere more appropriate.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2018, 05:13 am »
Anyway, I've just checked and you can get WCPE if you use Volumio on a Raspberry Pi. (It works, I'm listening to it now.) Just connect a USB DAC to the Pi, or use one of the many add-on DAC cards. If you go this route get the latest Pi 3B+ as it has the best wireless.

Others may have suggestions using Chromecast or something else.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2018, 11:27 am »
A bunch of ideas.

1. You can turn a wired connection on the back of an AVR or any other device into a wireless connection using a $20 wifi router as a wireless bridge.

2. As JohnR mentions you can use a Chromecast audio connected to your audio system. You would then use a phone or tablet to control it.

3. You can get use a tablet or old phone. For better sound quality use a bluetooth receiver connected to your system or a separate bluetooth speaker.

4. Get an standalone internet radio, https://www.bestproducts.com/tech/electronics/g2741/best-internet-radio-player-reviews/?slide=1

Make sure that the stations of interest will work with your desired solution. Generally they will unless the station is using Adobe Flash for its stream.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2018, 11:50 am »
I have a Logitech UE Smart Radio that is used for background music.  Nice sound, it's sonic sins are of the omission variety, it fills the large space but in Logitech fashion is no longer available  however the Grace Digital Mondo (Doublej's #4 suggestion above) is very comparable.  My gripe with it is the need to reboot it (and software on my computer if I want access to my ripped files) every so often.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2018, 01:56 pm »
We have several Amazon Echo speakers through out the house. I just told Alexa to play WCPE, and she did.

WCPE and WKCR are my two go to stations for classical, along with Sirius Met Opera and Symphony Hall.

rabbits

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2018, 02:17 am »
Thank you all very much for your invaluable help. You have solved my problem. The Cream of the Jest is that (a) I had no idea that an Alexa would do what I want and (b) I just won one of the doggone things in a charity drawing. Having no apparent use for it my Wife, Diane, and I decided to give it (we got three of the little Dots with it) to a young couple as a wedding gift. We refuse to go back on that decision (they are the world's cutest couple) so I shall now buy one for us. Our main system is in our living room and is quite satisfactory. It receives Internet Radio so I can listen to WCPE as I read my morning paper and do the NYT Crossword. In the afternoons I like to go to a downstairs room with a big, roomy leather chair and read a good book (sometimes dozing off). I've got a decent smaller system there and play CDs, but WCPE on Internet Radio will be a plus. Thanks again Audio Circle friends. You're a good hang to hang out with.  All best, your friend Rabbits in WBNC