Rocky Mountain HT3 pics

jsalk

Rocky Mountain HT3 pics
« on: 29 Oct 2006, 05:45 pm »
For those who were unable to attend, here are some pics of the "Rocky Mountain Special" HT3's we built for the Rocky Mountain Audiofest.

The book-matched, full-length front baffles were fashioned from a board of exhibition-grade Mexican cocobolo.  The remainder of the cabinets were done in a piano black finish.  The cabinets were hand rubbed to a high-gloss finish.

Here's a close up:

Here's a close up of the woofer area showing the tapered area around the woofer:

There were also two outboard crossover enclosures done in high-gloss black with cocobolo trim.  But I didn't have a chance to photograph them.  This allows both the use of the passive crossovers in outboard enclosures or active crossovers via DEQX.

The W18's used in this particular pair are the Nextel version of the W18.  Rather than the standard magnesium cones, these W18's feature paper cones with the Netel coating.

Dennis Murphy is continuing to refine the crossover for this model.  As soon as he finishes, we will A/B them and report on the similarities and differences.

- Jim

BradJudy

Re: Rocky Mountain HT3 pics
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2006, 08:45 pm »
I'll echo what most people say: the pictures don't do them justice.  This is a great looking pair of speakers - striking contrast, wonderful wood and beautiful gloss finish.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2006, 10:12 pm »
Everything looked stunning at the show Jim.

As good as the pair above was, my favorite was the floor standing HT2.

How about some pics of them?

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2006, 10:26 pm »
Here is a picture that shows "some" of the speakers that were displayed:

Check out those HT2's!!!   :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

George

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2006, 10:50 pm »
George -

I didn't get a chance to take pictures of the HT2's before the show (I actrually finished them after arriving in Denver).  But I planned to shoot some shots tomorrow and I will post them.  People really seemed to like the finish.  Perhaps a pair of HT3's done in that fashion would be appropriate.

- Jim

Everything looked stunning at the show Jim.

As good as the pair above was, my favorite was the floor standing HT2.

How about some pics of them?

George

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2006, 11:02 pm »
Man those HT2's with guitar style finish.....  :drool:  I rarely go gaga over wood finished speakers but those are the bomb!  By far and away my favorite finish so far.

From one completely wet-behind-the-ears-woodworker to a completely pro-over-the-top-uber-woodworker, I've love to know how you do that.  I want to rebuild my diy MTM cabinets to a floor stander and wood love (pun??) to attempt a finish like those.  I am completely guessing, but you spray a light coat of paint and sand down the exposed wood portion and keep repeating many times till the sides built up enough density?

Marvelous!

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2006, 11:04 pm »
Man those HT2's with guitar style finish.....  :drool:  I rarely go gaga over wood finished speakers but those are the bomb!  By far and away my favorite finish so far.

My favorite as well.

George

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2006, 11:10 pm »
All I can say is  :drool:  ....its cliche but even the wife thought they were something (my wife thinks all speakers are ugly, even your other masterpieces).

By the way, what veneer is underlying the HT2's?

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2006, 11:14 pm »
Yes, it's also my favorite so far. Can't wait for some close up shots.  I like visually appealling components and that's one wood finish that a man can be proud to own.

Gimmie those  :drool:

BradJudy

« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2006, 01:00 am »

Only a guess from seeing them in person, but I think it's a figured maple. 

The HT2's did turn out very nice, although it would have been cool to have a black tweeter housing IMO (I'm not sure if it's available on that tweeter). 

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #10 on: 30 Oct 2006, 02:01 am »
Actually, black is the standard finish for the face plate.  I thought the silver version was very cool, but you can have it any way you like. 

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 30 Oct 2006, 02:29 am »
All I can say is  :drool:  ....its cliche but even the wife thought they were something (my wife thinks all speakers are ugly, even your other masterpieces).

It is actually quite simple (well, perhaps a little risky, but there are ways to minimize the risk).  

You start with real nice quilted Big Leaf maple veneer.  When veneered and sanded, you choose the lighter color you want for the background and start with aniline dye that is diluted quite a bit.  That way you can spray many coats until you reach the desired level of color.  By spraying many coats, you also avoid blotches and lines from the spray gun.

You then spray your sealer coats until the gain is completely filled.  Make absolutely sure the gain is completely filled because when you sand it down, you definitely do not want to sand through it and remove any of the base color (trying to patch it up if you do will be a nightmare).

Once you have the sealer coat sanded down and you are ready to apply topcoat, you use a solvent-based stain to do the darker color on the edges.  Turn the gun way down and shoot the corners of the cabinet so that the over-spray colors both of the associated faces of the cabinet.  You will end up with dark edges that fade into the lighter base color. By turning the gun way down, you can shoot several passes until the dark color is where you want it.  Again, more passes allows you to be a little less precise on any given pass.

If for any reason you blow this step, you can use a solvent and remove all of the dark color and try shooting it again.

You could have done both coloring steps with aniline dye on the raw veneer.  But if you make a mistake, it is very difficult to recover.  By doing the base color and the darker color separately, you minimize chances of ruining the color application.

Finally, you shoot several coats of topcoat that can later be rubbed out to a high-gloss finish.

That's all there is to it.

- Jim