Does belt length matter?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Does belt length matter?
« on: 24 Feb 2021, 02:17 am »
If your table has an outboard motor, does belt length matter?  Should tautness be just enough to avoid slipping? 

S Clark

Re: Does belt length matter?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2021, 03:13 pm »
I guess this place has shifted primarily to digital.  No response in nearly a day. 
I wonder if a longer belt or shorter belt can transmit vibrations more or less effectively.  Obviously, less is better. 

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2021, 05:55 pm »
I guess length matters, depends on how close to the turntable you want to place the motor. Being further away on a different table may help with motor noise transferring to the turntable.

S Clark

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2021, 09:52 pm »
Hmm  I was thinking vibration transmitted by the belt, but your point about getting the motor further away is well taken. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2021, 01:47 am »
Many moons ago I have read a shorter belt will delivery more torque.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2021, 12:58 pm »
I guess this place has shifted primarily to digital.  No response in nearly a day. 
I wonder if a longer belt or shorter belt can transmit vibrations more or less effectively.  Obviously, less is better.

I think most people have mid range or lower tables with integrated motors, so your question only reaches a few people here.

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2021, 01:26 pm »
Hi,

I'm sorry I have a mid level turntable and I don't have a separate motor.  Can you talk to the manufacturer to check what is the preferred distance away from the motor should be?

Cheers Rod

mhconley

« Reply #7 on: 25 Feb 2021, 01:56 pm »
I just use the fishing line "belt" provided by my turntable's manufacturer. I do have the motor sitting on an anti vibration pad: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FKVH8SN/

Martin