Hypex NCore NC400 - USA Tour Listening Impressions

Chris Adams

Re: Hypex NCore NC400 - USA Tour Listening Impressions
« Reply #60 on: 24 Apr 2012, 12:39 pm »
I'm poised to take delivery of the Ncores today. I'll offer as much info as possible about how they integrate with my system. I also have single ended and balanced ICs to compare. Following is a list of gear I'll be using, and a pic.

SYSTEM

Amp – DIY Tripath mono blocks from HiFimeDIY, 300w@4ohms per ch. These have been modded with AudioCap Theta input caps and ASC pio caps in the power supply. Connexelectronic SMPS500R for each mono block.

Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 tube mono blocks 100w per ch.

Transport – McCormack SST-1

DAC – Tube Audio Design TDAC with cryoed Valvo E80CC gold pin tubes.

Pre – W4S STP-SE

Pass B1 

Speakers – Magnestand MMGs w/current best xover.

Subwoofer – Rythmik Audio F12G modified by Danny with about 15lbs of floor tiles adhered to the inside of cabinet walls.   

Interconnects – DIY braided Neotech solid 24awg pcocc with silver over copper rca plugs.

14ft star quad ofc shielded, balanced cable with Neutrik connectors. 

Digital Cable – Neotech pcocc double shielded silver with Furutech BNCs.

Power Cords – Neotech pcocc shielded three conductor with gold plated over copper Furutech plugs for pre, transport and DAC. Same wire for amps but Neotech plugs with gold over copper.                           

Speaker Cable – Black Cat Morpheus and various DIY. I keep coming back to the 6awg Home Depot copper with Vampire gold over copper spades. The Home Depot cables are 2ft long.

Accessories – Maple platforms, cork/rubber supports, aircraft aluminum w/some kind of vinyl multi-layered platform with spring feet for transport. 2x2 foam in strategic locations.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #61 on: 24 Apr 2012, 04:43 pm »
Very nice system Chris.

I have always wanted to hear a pair of the Magnestand speakers.

George

Rclark

« Reply #62 on: 24 Apr 2012, 06:07 pm »

Nice Chris! I have some too, so can't wait to read your report, that's a nice surprise. I also have a tripath amp, but of much less power than your mono's. They say Maggies get better and better, moreso than other speaker types, with better and better power, so I am very interested in your Ncore/Magnestand combo.

Still don't have a decent camera, mine are in mahena/spalted sycamore. Love them.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #63 on: 24 Apr 2012, 06:23 pm »
I've been informed that they've arrived and am going through the motions...

OzarkTom

« Reply #64 on: 24 Apr 2012, 06:27 pm »
Very nice system Chris.

I have always wanted to hear a pair of the Magnestand speakers.

George

So George, are you missing the Ncores in your system?

Chris Adams

« Reply #65 on: 24 Apr 2012, 06:37 pm »
I'm sitting at the computer while the NCores are warming with the Isotek disc. I will comment on sound and integration with my system . . . in about a month. :green:

Kidding! :lol:

Thanks, George, I'm really enjoying the speakers.

Rclark, I thought you might be interested.

Right now they are connected with my single ended ICs. I'm going to listen today/tonight this way. I'll then connect the balanced cables and listen for any differences tomorrow.

Later.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #66 on: 24 Apr 2012, 07:56 pm »
So George, are you missing the Ncores in your system?

I am.

Luckily I have something that is excellent to listen to while I wait for my Ncore order to arrive.

George

OzarkTom

« Reply #67 on: 24 Apr 2012, 09:53 pm »
I am.

Luckily I have something that is excellent to listen to while I wait for my Ncore order to arrive.

George

Now that is a great statement for the Ncores.

cab

« Reply #68 on: 24 Apr 2012, 10:11 pm »
I guess that is the bottom line...Would really appreciate a more complete review though....

Chris Adams

« Reply #69 on: 24 Apr 2012, 10:17 pm »
OK, here's my take after 2.5 hours of listening to very familiar discs. :drool: :banana piano: :hyper:

How do they sound. Best I can tell, they don't. Been said before, they just get out of the way. I listened very carefully for glare, sibilance, and harshness on songs that were difficult to listen to for that very reason. Substantially reduced from other amps in the system. In fact, a couple of those discs sounded down right sweet. Tells me my components and cables in front of the amps are doing a good job.

I was made more aware of instruments and sounds that were there before but covered to a degree. Much better layering of instruments and voices. Clean, clear, open, and defined. Less grain than I was hearing before.

More to come . . .

Rclark

« Reply #70 on: 24 Apr 2012, 10:23 pm »
I guess that is the bottom line...Would really appreciate a more complete review though....

you can read the 340 page diyaudio thread where this originated, the 6moons review, I'm sure there's lots more to read too.

cab

« Reply #71 on: 24 Apr 2012, 10:30 pm »
Done that. Was waiting for George's review...

Rclark

« Reply #72 on: 24 Apr 2012, 10:31 pm »
He liked them  :scratch:

maxwalrath

« Reply #73 on: 24 Apr 2012, 10:44 pm »
OK, here's my take after 2.5 hours of listening to very familiar discs. :drool: :banana piano: :hyper:

How do they sound. Best I can tell, they don't. Been said before, they just get out of the way.

My question (not just to you Chris) about getting out of the way is...how "out of the way" can an amp get? When I think of characteristics of amps I've enjoyed in my system, bass slam and impact, airy imaging, and ability to sound amazing at low levels (which I have seen written about the NCore) come to mind. Can someone compare the bass of the NCore to other amps?

I guess I'm left wanting for more "compared to ______ amp, the _____ (insert generic audiophile "quality" here) of the NCore was __________ to my ears."

cab

« Reply #74 on: 24 Apr 2012, 11:02 pm »
He liked them  :scratch:

Yeah, I got that....He said he would be writing an in depth review which I am looking forward to....

Rclark

« Reply #75 on: 24 Apr 2012, 11:10 pm »
Oh he did... Ok, I'm with you then.

Hey Chris, nice review, keep it coming man, your experience is what I'm gonna get out of it. Except I'll also get the huge jump in power, something you already had lots of.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #76 on: 24 Apr 2012, 11:40 pm »
One thing I'd like to point out with the NCores is the ability to act the same at super low SPL's as they do when cranked up.  The low level detail is something I"ve NEVER heard before regardless of amp. 

This is something that city or apartment dwellers might really enjoy. 

Try it! 

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #77 on: 24 Apr 2012, 11:50 pm »
My question (not just to you Chris) about getting out of the way is...how "out of the way" can an amp get? When I think of characteristics of amps I've enjoyed in my system, bass slam and impact, airy imaging, and ability to sound amazing at low levels (which I have seen written about the NCore) come to mind. Can someone compare the bass of the NCore to other amps?

I guess I'm left wanting for more "compared to ______ amp, the _____ (insert generic audiophile "quality" here) of the NCore was __________ to my ears."

I'll try and write something along these lines soon.  Just might take a few days.

George

roscoeiii

« Reply #78 on: 25 Apr 2012, 12:04 am »
One thing I'd like to point out with the NCores is the ability to act the same at super low SPL's as they do when cranked up.  The low level detail is something I"ve NEVER heard before regardless of amp. 

Try it!

An aspect of the amp I am very excited about.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #79 on: 25 Apr 2012, 12:33 am »

Try it!

this is certainly interesting.  ime, i have found this to be more related to what speaker is being used.  i get great low-level details w/my piega p5 mkii ltd's and my oris-based horn set-up.

doug s.