Hypex NCore NC400 - USA Tour Listening Impressions

sts9fan

Re: Hypex NCore NC400 - USA Tour Listening Impressions
« Reply #80 on: 25 Apr 2012, 12:44 am »
this is certainly interesting.  ime, i have found this to be more related to what speaker is being used.  i get great low-level details w/my piega p5 mkii ltd's and my oris-based horn set-up.

doug s.

I agree with you Doug 100%.

Chris Adams

« Reply #81 on: 25 Apr 2012, 02:15 am »
Excellent questions, gentlemen. I will have much more time tomorrow to listen and reflect so I, hopefully, can offer some answers. Maggies are not known for their low level abilities, so it will be interesting for sure. I also plan to turn off the sub and do some comparisons with my other amps.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #82 on: 25 Apr 2012, 03:40 pm »
this is certainly interesting.  ime, i have found this to be more related to what speaker is being used.  i get great low-level details w/my piega p5 mkii ltd's and my oris-based horn set-up.

doug s.
OK.  And I stated my experience with this amp compared to other amps.  It's purely an subjective opinion wtih the NCore amps that I've mentioned.  If you listen to the NCore then maybe you can give your feedback.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #83 on: 25 Apr 2012, 04:03 pm »
I'd like to hear them too - I'm in Austin, TX.

OzarkTom

« Reply #84 on: 25 Apr 2012, 04:56 pm »
Does anyone on the amp tour own a SET or First Watt amp to compare to the Ncores?

SlushPuppy

« Reply #85 on: 25 Apr 2012, 05:05 pm »
Does anyone on the tour have a ClassDAudio SDS amplifier? That's the comparison I'm most interested in.

Thanks,

Slush

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #86 on: 25 Apr 2012, 05:06 pm »
Does anyone on the tour have a ClassDAudio SDS amplifier? That's the comparison I'm most interested in.

Thanks,

Slush
I used to own a few of them....no comparison IMO.

santacore

« Reply #87 on: 25 Apr 2012, 05:12 pm »

That's good news as I'm currently running a SDS, which have been really impressing me, and should get the NC400 soon.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #88 on: 25 Apr 2012, 05:24 pm »

Thanks! I almost pulled the trigger on a SDS-470 a while back, but spent the money on a new source instead. Glad I waited.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #89 on: 25 Apr 2012, 05:31 pm »
That's good news as I'm currently running a SDS, which have been really impressing me, and should get the NC400 soon.

Cool  :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #90 on: 25 Apr 2012, 06:05 pm »

I've had several ask me, and I built my own SDS 254, see my gallery for info. I have since sold my unit, but I agree with jtwrace, the Ncore is in a class of its own.

FWIW if my gainclone (see gallery) is a 7/10, and the SDS 254 is an 8/10, the Ncore is a 20/10. Much, much, better in other words.

Best,
Anand.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #91 on: 25 Apr 2012, 06:19 pm »
I've had several ask me, and I built my own SDS 254, see my gallery for info. I have since sold my unit, but I agree with jtwrace, the Ncore is in a class of its own.

FWIW if my gainclone (see gallery) is a 7/10, and the SDS 254 is an 8/10, the Ncore is a 20/10. Much, much, better in other words.

Best,
Anand.

Thanks Anand.

dspringham

« Reply #92 on: 25 Apr 2012, 06:53 pm »
I just placed my order. Does anyone know what delivery week they are scheduling for with the most recent orders?

GS

« Reply #93 on: 25 Apr 2012, 07:01 pm »
Excellent questions, gentlemen. I will have much more time tomorrow to listen and reflect so I, hopefully, can offer some answers. Maggies are not known for their low level abilities, so it will be interesting for sure. I also plan to turn off the sub and do some comparisons with my other amps.

It gets interesting and more interesting... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

mgalusha

« Reply #94 on: 25 Apr 2012, 07:16 pm »
Personally I can't answer the question of how they compare to the SDS amps but I've had more than my fair share of amps in the system in the last few years and IMO none of them compare in terms of clarity and the sheer amount of musical information allowed through.

List of some in no particular order

Consonance 211 and 845 (SET TUBE)
Atma-Sphere M-60 (OTL Tube)
McIntosh MC275 (PP Tube)
Pass Labs XA30.5 (Class A SS)
Luxman M-600 (Class A SS)
Jolida Music Envoy (PP tube, 211 triodes)
Luxman SQ-38 integrated (PP tube)
nuforce ref 18 (class D)
Spectron Musician III mono's (class D)
ModWright KWA 150 mono's (class A/B ss)
Odyssey extreme mono's (class A/B ss)
Threshold SA50 (class A ss)
hot rodded Dynaco ST70 (pp tube)
Eastern Electric M156 mono's (pp tube)
Eastern Electric M88 integrated (pp tube)
R.E. Designs LNPA 150 (class A/B ss)
Audio Mirror 45W SET (tube SET)

A few others that I can't think of off hand. Yes, all in the same room with either my current speakers, GedLee Abbey, or the previous speakers, Meadowlark Blue Heron 2.

With or without the subs, these amps are in a class by themselves compared to any of the above. All of the above have strengths and weaknesses but for my tastes I'm keeping the little NC400's for the foreseeable future. Just my .02.

mike

roscoeiii

« Reply #95 on: 25 Apr 2012, 07:20 pm »
Does anyone on the amp tour own a SET or First Watt amp to compare to the Ncores?
Yes, I have a MiniWatt N3 (and maybe a Decware SE84B if it isn't sold by the time I get the ncore) that I can pair with Hornshoppe Horns

Thanks,

Slush

I have a CDS-254 (think I got the model number right) that I can compare when I get the ncore. I will do that comparison on my SP Tech Minis. Also to be compared is a Butler 2250

roscoeiii

« Reply #96 on: 25 Apr 2012, 07:24 pm »
Personally I can't answer the question of how they compare to the SDS amps but I've had more than my fair share of amps in the system in the last few years and IMO none of them compare in terms of clarity and the sheer amount of musical information allowed through.

List of some in no particular order

Consonance 211 and 845 (SET TUBE)
Atma-Sphere M-60 (OTL Tube)
McIntosh MC275 (PP Tube)
Pass Labs XA30.5 (Class A SS)
Luxman M-600 (Class A SS)
Jolida Music Envoy (PP tube, 211 triodes)
Luxman SQ-38 integrated (PP tube)
nuforce ref 18 (class D)
Spectron Musician III mono's (class D)
ModWright KWA 150 mono's (class A/B ss)
Odyssey extreme mono's (class A/B ss)
Threshold SA50 (class A ss)
hot rodded Dynaco ST70 (pp tube)
Eastern Electric M156 mono's (pp tube)
Eastern Electric M88 integrated (pp tube)
R.E. Designs LNPA 150 (class A/B ss)
Audio Mirror 45W SET (tube SET)

With or without the subs, these amps are in a class by themselves compared to any of the above. All of the above have strengths and weaknesses but for my tastes I'm keeping the little NC400's for the foreseeable future. Just my .02

Wow. W.O.W. :drool:

mhconley

« Reply #97 on: 25 Apr 2012, 07:28 pm »
I would love to have compared them side-by-side in my system with my Bang & Olufsen ICEpower 1000ASP monoblocks, unfortunately I did not see jtwrace's tour offer soon enough.  Anyone else on the tour able to make that direct comparison?

My ICEpower monoblocks blew away my Parasound Halo A 21 with low SPL detail, air, spaciousness, soundstage and pure dynamics.  The transient response is simply amazing - they seem much "faster" than the Parasound amp.

Martin

mgalusha

« Reply #98 on: 25 Apr 2012, 07:31 pm »
Wow. W.O.W. :drool:

Many of those were loaners but I've bought a lot as well, sad for my wallet.

TomS

« Reply #99 on: 25 Apr 2012, 07:37 pm »
I DIY'd an F3, F4 monoblocks, Aleph J, and a couple of F5's, all gone or disassembled now, so I can't compare directly but I spent a lot of time with each of them. The NCores might be a distant cousin sonically to the F5 (not the others), but from memory the NCores have more power, more body in the mids, and are just more real and natural sounding than any of those amps. They never seem to breathe very hard either.