Hypex NCore NC400 - USA Tour Listening Impressions

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Hypex NCore NC400 - USA Tour Listening Impressions
« Reply #140 on: 26 Apr 2012, 05:51 pm »

I owned A-S amps so I was speaking about MY experience.  I don't see how that is defending NCores whatsoever.  In fact, this forum is a place where we can discuss what we subjectively hear. 

Again, I don't see how sending my personal pair of amps out is doing anything but helping other members.  If they like what they hear then they can purchase.  If not, it has cost them shipping to the next member.  I've made myself pretty clear from the get-go about this tour.  Try 'em and see what you think. 

Rather then continuely bash me why not see the good that someone is attempting to do?

earflappin

« Reply #141 on: 26 Apr 2012, 05:56 pm »
I've had my NCORE's since late January and posted this review in early Feb (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/threads/10466-New-nCore-400-Amplifier?highlight=ncore).  I have not heard an amplifier that can match the NCORE in terms of accuracy, resolution and musicality.  Some of the amps I've had in my system over the recent past include:

Atma-Sphere M60's (Class A OTL)
Class D SDS-224 (Class D)
Hephaestus (Class D)
Pass Lab XA30.5 (Class A SS)
Boulder 2050 (Class A SS)
Custom hybrid - tube gain stage, SS output stage
Linn Klimax Solo
Halcro dm68

If you can acquire the NCORE via the DIY channel the price/performance is outstanding. 

earflappin

« Reply #142 on: 26 Apr 2012, 06:21 pm »
Hi Ted, hope all is well with you.  I heard the Clayton's at jtwrace's house about 2-3 weeks before I got my NCOREs.  His system is almost identical to mine.  I sent Jason my NCOREs where he and Anand had the opportunity to A/B them versus the Clayton.   Jason and Anand both bought the NCORE based on that audition.  I also sent mine to Tom S who subsequently bought them.   

OzarkTom

« Reply #143 on: 26 Apr 2012, 06:21 pm »
I got to listen to 6 bands last Sunday at the International festival at Silver Dollar City. Some bands were outside, some were inside in small and large auditoriums. Every band had a different flavor, as some say here about amps. It would take me 6 different sounding systems to reproduce the sound I heard.

The Italian opera band had a huge sound. That would take something like OTL's.
The Russian Big Band would be more tube like, maybe an older tube amp. 
The Country Hawaiian Band would probably sound more like the Ncores, it was very smooth and detailed.
The Mariachi band was more like a bright sounding Class A amp. That band about took my ears off. But the vocals were huge and luscious sounding.
The Honduras band was very small sounding and soft, maybe a soft Class D amp.
The Irish band was also bright sounding, small vocals, a terrible Class B amp.

Every band I heard was different, and this was all live. So which live band was correct?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #144 on: 26 Apr 2012, 06:31 pm »
Not really worth the effort if it is not in my system.
Yes, but isn't Zybar close to you?  He brought them to his friends house...maybe he could've brought them to you too.   :dunno:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #145 on: 26 Apr 2012, 08:03 pm »
I did notice that George had one disadvantage and Jason shot back immediately defending Ncore.

Actually, I think that it was more Jason's view on A-S amps rather than defending the Ncore amps.

While he may be right about the A-S exaggerating the sound stage and depth of the recording, we will agree to disagree on whether that is good or bad.  I love the sound of the A-S amps and hearing the Ncore amps hasn't changed that.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #146 on: 26 Apr 2012, 08:05 pm »
Yes, but isn't Zybar close to you?  He brought them to his friends house...maybe he could've brought them to you too.   :dunno:

I decided that given my limited time with the amps, that bringing them around wasn't practical.

I also didn't have time to have an "open" listening session.

I will have a listening session for the NEAR gang once my Ncore amps are built and in the system.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #147 on: 26 Apr 2012, 08:09 pm »
What's your buddy with the Lamm going to do?  Will we hear from him?

He is buying Ncores.

He is not sure yet if he is going to replace the Lamm amps.  Like me, he will need more time to make that decision.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #148 on: 26 Apr 2012, 10:26 pm »
Chris said it ... there is new toy in the town and now everyone wants it and it is now their favorite toy (believe me - I want it too ... though I have not even listened to it ...)

Is it better than everyone else's favorite toy  :duh:  :lol:

Can't speak for others, but I have had the same reference amp for almost three years - this is definitely not a case of the "shiny penny" syndrome.

George

dflee

« Reply #149 on: 27 Apr 2012, 02:12 am »
George
Should you decide the AS stay, maybe start another tour with an option to buy. Like so many, I am intrigued with the NCore and have read all the posts so far.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #150 on: 27 Apr 2012, 03:32 am »
...I'm just setting out the question so when other folks get their amps up and running I want to know if they encounter noise issues and what they may need to do.  If they work fine with single ended cabling longer than a few meters then I will be encouraged to try them out.

Certainly a balanced system reduces possibility for noise but I cannot go there and want to see how others fair.  I think it is a potential issue for others to know as well so I'd like to see users tell us their configurations so we can see how this pans out....

Even with identical systems, ambient noise, and listener sensitivity, RFI in one location may be far worse than another.  Does this not prohibit making reliable conclusions based on another person's experience?

Too bad I had to return the AKSA Naksa 100 stereo amp today...no A-B when Ncore arrives later. 

I did not relish returning to the YBA amp for all three channels (Trinaural).  I use two monitors per channel in a strange ambiance array (description and images after I paint the stands).  Two monitors parallel = 2.7 Ohms minimum @ 200 Hz/flat 4 Ohms > 600 Hz. 

I changed to series for 10.8 Ohms/16 Ohms.  Sensitivity dropped as expected, but performance definitely improved.  Not up to Naksa levels, especially in the treble, but better, cleaner, more natural, less strained at all levels.  Interestingly, peak power is about the same, 4 or 16 Ohms.  I suppose current limiting @ 2.7 Ohms and voltage limiting @ 16 Ohms yield similar peak SPL.   

16 Ohms also improves speaker cable performance vs. 4 Ohms.  Expressed as a ratio, cable resistance vs. circuit resistance is 4x lower on 16 Ohm load vs. 4 Ohms. 

Which load better suits Ncore?               

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #151 on: 27 Apr 2012, 04:07 am »
I'm almost afraid to ask a question at this point. . . but I'll give it a shot.

Folks have described the noise floor on these amps as basically being zero.  I don't remember reading through this thread (or the first one), but what do the folks who have auditioned/own these amps use for power conditioning, if anything?  Also, kind of wondering out loud (and no one considering them would probably even think to run them this way, but. . .), how do some of the qualities others have previously mentioned in review pan out with the amps just plugged straight into the wall using decent but far from boutique power cords?

Thanks for your thoughts, and I hope the question is appropriate for this feedback thread.

ServerAdmin

« Reply #152 on: 27 Apr 2012, 06:26 am »
Folks, for discussion or questions not related to listening impressions from the NCore tour, please use one of the following threads (or start one):

celo

« Reply #153 on: 27 Apr 2012, 07:28 am »
I've had my NCORE's since late January and posted this review in early Feb (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/threads/10466-New-nCore-400-Amplifier?highlight=ncore).  I have not heard an amplifier that can match the NCORE in terms of accuracy, resolution and musicality.  Some of the amps I've had in my system over the recent past include:

Atma-Sphere M60's (Class A OTL)
Class D SDS-224 (Class D)
Hephaestus (Class D)
Pass Lab XA30.5 (Class A SS)
Boulder 2050 (Class A SS)
Custom hybrid - tube gain stage, SS output stage
Linn Klimax Solo
Halcro dm68

If you can acquire the NCORE via the DIY channel the price/performance is outstanding. 

I have not heard the XA 30.5 but I assume it is as good as Aleph 3 if not better. If that is the case, I would love to hear the Hypex NCore! (not currently in the US though)

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #154 on: 27 Apr 2012, 10:56 am »
I have not heard the XA 30.5 but I assume it is as good as Aleph 3 if not better. If that is the case, I would love to hear the Hypex NCore! (not currently in the US though)

To my ears the Pass x30.5 is better.

I have had the pleasure of listening to it for an extended amount of time in my current system.  Aleph 3 was years ago.

George

earflappin

« Reply #155 on: 27 Apr 2012, 01:58 pm »
I got to listen to 6 bands last Sunday at the International festival at Silver Dollar City. Some bands were outside, some were inside in small and large auditoriums. Every band had a different flavor, as some say here about amps. It would take me 6 different sounding systems to reproduce the sound I heard.

The Italian opera band had a huge sound. That would take something like OTL's.
The Russian Big Band would be more tube like, maybe an older tube amp. 
The Country Hawaiian Band would probably sound more like the Ncores, it was very smooth and detailed.
The Mariachi band was more like a bright sounding Class A amp. That band about took my ears off. But the vocals were huge and luscious sounding.
The Honduras band was very small sounding and soft, maybe a soft Class D amp.
The Irish band was also bright sounding, small vocals, a terrible Class B amp.

Every band I heard was different, and this was all live. So which live band was correct?

What does this post have to do with NCORE listening impressions?   :scratch:

Chris Adams

« Reply #156 on: 27 Apr 2012, 03:17 pm »
This thread is about Hypex NCore NC400 - USA Tour Listening Impressions.

I would personally like to continue hearing from those who have heard the NCores and what they perceived as different or the same sonically in the context of their system or the system in which they were heard. Any questions directed to those experiences with the NCores would be welcomed and encouraged. :D

maxwalrath

« Reply #157 on: 27 Apr 2012, 07:02 pm »
If anyone in the Philadelphia area wants to give them a listen, let me know. Allowing 2 days transport between the people on the list, I should have them in about 20 days.

My system: Oppo 81 or Modwright/Sony DVP999 tube modded CDP
Warpspeed Optocoupler and/or Juicy Music Peach preamp
Response Audio/Modwright RAM 301 amp
Reference 3A DeCapo i speakers

Welcome to bring an amp to A/B

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #158 on: 27 Apr 2012, 09:20 pm »
Will these be in Northeast NJ or Manhattan? I'd like to give them a listen...

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #159 on: 27 Apr 2012, 09:22 pm »
Will these be in Northeast NJ or Manhattan? I'd like to give them a listen...
See post #2