Water damage = surprise renovation!

mcgsxr

Water damage = surprise renovation!
« on: 14 Jul 2015, 02:19 pm »
We have been in the house now for 10 years.  We have elected to do around 6 reno's during that time.

6 weeks ago a toilet in the main bath on the 2nd floor busted.  I arrived home from work to hear water running on the main floor, and 1 inch of water in the upstairs bathroom on the floor.

Insurance claim.  Excellent service from the water restoration company to demo most of the upstairs bathroom, and around 100 square feet of ceiling in the living room, and roughly 10 feet of the interior wall on the outside wall.  7 very long days and nights of large dehumidifiers and fans running.  Saved the hardwood in the living/dining room.

There was no damage to any of the past work done (kitchen, main floor fireplace, basement etc).  That's a big relief.

So, I have the settlement, and am now proceeding to fix the damage.  We have decided to embrace the situation, and are going to fully reno the main bath for the girls, and are adding lights to the living/dining and having all the popcorn ceiling scraped off the entire first floor of the home.

Good fun.

All my past experiences with renovation have been very well planned exercises.  I am having way more scheduling issues with subs this time around though.

Today the electrician finishes up, having added 19 pot lights to the living/dining and our main entry hallway.

Later this week the hell of living here through the ceiling scraping and subsequent repairs begins.

Pics to follow for those interested.

JohnR

Re: Water damage = surprise renovation!
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2015, 02:26 pm »
Water has that effect  :banghead:

Any new tools purchases you can justify?  :green: Post here  - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=134186.0

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2015, 02:41 pm »
Indeed, water can damage a lot fast.  Very happy that I came home when I did and we did not lose the floor and the subsequent leakage into the basement finished 2 years ago would have really been tough to take.

No new tools yet, but a lot of fixtures and plenty of projects for me to tackle in addition to the work being done by the pro's.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2015, 03:13 pm »
You might consider this on the redo, sucks that it wasn't a planned renovation.

http://www.watts.com/pages/whatsnew/floodsafe_connectors.asp

Considering the potential, it appears you suffered less damage than could have been the case. Good that the insurance is prompt. Don't sign off with them until the job's complete...can be a butt biter should you uncover additional damage.

I do this stuff for a living, so if something is bugging you about the process, by all means ask questions here or PM. I'm a one man crusade against shoddy craftsmanship.

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2015, 03:14 pm »
I'm a one man crusade against shoddy craftsmanship.

You'd have a field day with my house. I'm just redoing things as the occasion arises.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2015, 04:15 pm »
What was the cause of the leak (and did it get fully resolved)?

Did they check drywall with moisture testers for mold?  How much drywall was removed beyond what tested positive?  Mold can easily result in a total loss of a house.

Good that you were there soon after the leak started.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2015, 05:22 pm »
My wife works for the insurance company so I am quite comfortable with our ability to get attention as required.  Both during and following the event.  The company has been good.

It was a toilet that broke.  Not the expected supply line (which I replaced with a braided line 10 years ago when we moved in - did that in all the bathrooms at the time - I will look into those safer supply lines too).  The tank actually cracked and that allowed the water to run from about 9am until 3pm (or at least that is how long I was out of the house).  Rare for a toilet to bust I know, but I can tell you I did not do anything to it, and am doubtful that either of my daughters (9 and 11) did.  It was 19 years old, original to the home.

They tested the entire drywall ceiling for moisture, and pulled out beyond what was affected.  There will be a little more pulled down, as there has to be a stud or joist to hit with the new drywall.  The wall removed was only partially affected too, they removed the entire tile bathroom floor, vanity and toilet.  I had them in my basement checking walls and ceiling with the moisture probe, I am not moving (OK, I have an 18-20 year plan for this property and will move then) and I do not want to deal with mold for sure.

The leak is 100% solved for sure.  New American Standard toilet waiting in the wings.

The actual drying was done 5 weeks ago.  I saw the readings during and after the drying process and am satisfied.  I had pushed for further remediation, but trust the readings I saw. 

It took a subsequent amount of time to reach an agreement with the insurance company around the $ figure etc.  That is settled now and I am forging forward.

Electrician done, drywall repairs begin Thursday.  Main floor should be back to normal in 8-10 days.  Bathroom will lag as I am having trouble finding subs (and of course the good ones are busy, so i am willing to wait).

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2015, 07:22 pm »
Electrical is done (other than installing trim for the pot lights, but that comes after the ceilings repairs are done, and the painting is done etc).

All the popcorn scraped off the entire main floor.  Most of the mudding and taping is done too.

Paint and crown to be done early August.

Longer timeline that I would like, but quality takes time!

Some pics below of the progress.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2015, 10:17 pm »
I can't imagine a mess like that.  :duh:
Looks like things are going well though. Take your time, as you are. You certainly know how to fix up a room, Mark.  :thumb:

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2015, 07:50 pm »
I am always amazed that drywall work that looks like crap looks great then the mudding is done. I used to do this for several months years ago!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 4 Sep 2015, 10:48 pm »
I am always amazed that drywall work that looks like crap looks great then the mudding is done. I used to do this for several months years ago!
Drunken post?  :lol:

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 5 Sep 2015, 04:03 pm »
Had a good experience on the main floor.   Happy with how it turned out. 

Always amazing to see guys who mud and tape and know what they are doing.  They fly and it looks great.

Added a new dining room fixture.  Wanted something to go with our mid century modern teak set but not be too modern.   You can see one of the pot lights and some of the crown moulding too.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 5 Sep 2015, 04:38 pm »
That look sharp Mark, very classy!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #13 on: 5 Sep 2015, 04:59 pm »
Had end table lamps of the same amber material (we have transitional solid cherry furniture) but clumsy kids ended that.   :(