How to tell which amp I have

the7comeback7kid

How to tell which amp I have
« on: 12 Apr 2012, 03:47 pm »
Is there any easy way to tell which iteration of the Virtue amp I have is? It is not a sensation. I am considering trying some upgrading, but not sure if it will be worth it over investing in a newer unit. I love my amp but want to up the game a little. I did get the 130w PSU and was plesently suprised at the improvement. For reference I am powering xstatiks with the amp.

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: How to tell which amp I have
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2012, 12:27 am »
Can't answer your question but batteries might surprise you...

dboulet

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2012, 06:40 am »
If it’s not a Sensation, then I’m assuming that you mean to say that it’s either a ONE or TWO. You can usually tell the difference between these by the color of the badge on the front: red badge for the ONE and silver badge for the TWO. As to telling the difference between the first and second generation amps, you can tell the difference by looking at the way that the propeller posts are laid out on the back of the amp. The first generation amps had the posts set up horizontally, meaning that both red posts are located on the same side. The second generation (ONE.2 and TWO.2) have the posts set up vertically, with both of the red posts at the top and the black on the bottom. Here’s an image that illustrates this.

Hope that’s what you were looking for the7comeback7kid.

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2012, 07:24 am »
Can't answer your question but batteries might surprise you...

Oh so you are enjoying it? Did you switch back and forth between your batteries and regular supply? It's a pretty neat jump huh?

ComebackKid I went from the 130 to a big linear supply to batteries. Batteries on this amp, are king, and will blow your mind.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2012, 11:10 am »
Oh so you are enjoying it? Did you switch back and forth between your batteries and regular supply? It's a pretty neat jump huh?

ComebackKid I went from the 130 to a big linear supply to batteries. Batteries on this amp, are king, and will blow your mind.

Isn't the 130w the big linear supply?  Stock supply is 65w.  I went from the 65 to batteries and it is a nice upgrade.  From what I hear everyone prefers batteries.  You will need a "dongle" (graciously supplied by Jason) if your unit is not a ".2".

the7comeback7kid

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2012, 11:47 am »
If it’s not a Sensation, then I’m assuming that you mean to say that it’s either a ONE or TWO. You can usually tell the difference between these by the color of the badge on the front: red badge for the ONE and silver badge for the TWO. As to telling the difference between the first and second generation amps, you can tell the difference by looking at the way that the propeller posts are laid out on the back of the amp. The first generation amps had the posts set up horizontally, meaning that both red posts are located on the same side. The second generation (ONE.2 and TWO.2) have the posts set up vertically, with both of the red posts at the top and the black on the bottom. Here’s an image that illustrates this.

Hope that’s what you were looking for the7comeback7kid.

Great info thank you. Looks like I have a first gen one. Is this unit worth upgrading, or am i better off selling it and picking up a current gen unit?

Is there a significant improvement from the 130w psu to batteries?

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2012, 04:10 pm »
From the Virtue site :"With high-sensitivity speakers, the battery power supply easily exceeds the performance of all other power supplies offered for this amp. The noise floor drops to nothing. Detail levels are greatly improved. The vocal region is smoother and more relaxed. Sound stage and imaging are also improved. This is a must have for the Virtue amps."

I would get the batteries as they will work with the other amps...

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2012, 08:12 pm »
Yeah, buzzed typing past night. No I have a 30volt/90 watt, Ls-10a, and batteries. Never use the first two anymore, kept as backups.

I should probably sell the astron.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2012, 05:12 pm »
The first gen amps are not safe to use with high-current supplies and we botched the soft-start retrofit.  Gotta get your hands on a ONE.2 or TWO.2.

From time to time we see them although we don't post them for sale on the site.  Email me.

the7comeback7kid

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2012, 07:02 pm »
A heads up I am selling this amp.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105738.0
Maybe priced too high as I haven't gotten any feedback?