Help setting up a TT?

jrebman

Help setting up a TT?
« on: 7 Mar 2008, 03:54 pm »
This is one of those things I just can't possibly do for myself -- besides being blind, I don't have the tools or expertise.  I'm keeping my VPI HW-19 -- though thinking I was going to sell it, I removed the Technics EPA-100 arm, so that will need to be repositioned and remounted, then I need to mount my Sumiko Blackbird on the Sumiko magnesium headshell, and then the whole thing dialed in -- including the cart compliance adjustment on the arm.

Is there anybody around who can help, and what will this cost me?

I've got the cables, the EE Minimax phono pre, the VPI cleaning machine, and the albums all sitting here waiting to be used :-).

Thanks,

Jim

Wayne1

Re: Help setting up a TT?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2008, 04:02 pm »
Jim,

Let me know if you have time some weekend. I am very willing to make the trip up to Boulder to help you dial in your TT and hear your system. I have a few alignment gauges, test albums etc. If your armboard does not need to be re-drilled, I should be able to get everything else done. I might ask you to send the cart and headshell down hear so I can work on that under my magnifier.

It might cost you a few beers sometime.

Wayne

jrebman

Re: Help setting up a TT?
« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2008, 04:17 pm »
Wayne,

That would be great, and probably anytime could work for me except this weekend as Linda has a ton of end-of-quarter grading to do and needs the house pretty quiet.

In the mean time I can send the cart and headshell to you.  No redrilling needed -- this is the armboard that this arm came from -- it's just that the mounting hole has a lot of clearance for the mounting stud of the arm -- about twice the diameter that is needed, and there is a large pair of washers top and bottom to cover the excess.  It actually looks like it was meant to be this way, unless this was something like a "universal" armboard.

I've heard this arm playing on this table before, and the guy I bought it from had never had anything but the Technics arm on it.

Thanks for the offer, and I'll make sure the payment is of appropriate quality and quantity :D.

-- Jim