Super Alnico High Output Monitors

Ragnar71

Super Alnico High Output Monitors
« on: 21 Jan 2020, 04:12 pm »
I was wondering what people were using as amplifiers for these... wondering if a Low watt tube amp or a Solid State amp seemed to mesh better? Would love to hear your experiences and thoughts

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: Super Alnico High Output Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2020, 05:40 pm »
I'm using an ~8watt single ended tube amp (Dennis Had Inspire).  Most here will endorse low watt tube amps like Inspire, Decware, etc.

If you are going solid state, it seems best results are with all class A such as First Watt, Krell, etc.

Class A/Single Ended seems to mate better than higher wattage class A/B.  I'm less familiar with newer chip amps, class D.

FireGuy

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2020, 07:23 pm »
Enjoying my Super 5's (not the Super Alinco's) but similar... with a Denon SS and Musical Paradise MP-301 MK2 Integrated.  Both do well with the Omegas.  A rather nice characteristic regarding Louis' wonderful speakers.

zmaggio

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2020, 11:41 pm »
I'm using a 22wpc Line Magnetic 218ia to drive my SAMs (not the high output model).  More wattage than I would ever need with these speakers, and sounds great.

peckjed

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2020, 02:09 pm »
I've used 16-20 watt high output Dennis Had amps and 18w PSE 300B Audio Note mono blocks to drive the SAM HO's and all of that was plenty of power. I tried some of the low watt decware amps and found it wasn't enough to drive comfortably in my relatively small room. Id say somewhere in the 8-16 watts is the sweet spot.

seikosha

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2020, 05:24 pm »
I was wondering what people were using as amplifiers for these... wondering if a Low watt tube amp or a Solid State amp seemed to mesh better? Would love to hear your experiences and thoughts

I prefer my tube amps over my solid state amps with Omegas.  As far as wattage goes, it's going to be different for everyone.  My 2 watt Decware plays plenty loud for me, but for others, their definition of "loud" could be completely different than mine.  I've been to other audiophiles home's where they claim they don't listen very loud, but they played their music so loud I wanted to put in ear plugs.

Kalali

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2020, 03:05 pm »
I'm using an 18wpc Aric Audio single ended pentode KT88 with my SAMs with great results. I agree that a lower power tube amplifier can drive them as well but you will/might be pushing the amplifier harder which will in turn result in higher distortion. If I were to go the SS route, I'd look at First Watt, Luxman, or a Pass XA25.

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2020, 04:48 pm »
The Decware Zen is a wonderful pairing with Omegas and truly gives up nothing (except power) to bigger, more expensive, amps. It's an amazing HiFi bargain, refined over many years, and inexpensive to get replacement tubes for. So, for a tube amp, it is really quite practical as well. Its 2 watts go a LONG way with Omegas, speaking for the single driver versions. I don't have experience with the HO designs.

The Pass XA25 (my winter amp :D) is the best all around amp I've owned, and I've owned quite a list, especially from First Watt and Pass. I currently have an F3 and F5 in rotation for variety. I haven't tried any of the SIT amps (yet), but I'm sure those would work a treat as well.

JB2386

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2020, 09:35 pm »
Was pushing mine with 2 watt Decware SE84UFO2 and CSP3 and I also had plenty of power in a very big space.  I have since moved to a Linear Tube Audio MKII which has 10 watts and found it to be better than the Decware UFO but not by much.  Also have the CSP3 in front of the LTA.  I borrowed an LTA MZ2 preamp from Louis a little while back now and was also impressed with the LTA combination but have stuck with the CSP3 and the LTA combo for over a year.  I think I might switch back to the UFO2 this weekend, variety is the spice of life, right?  Can't go wrong with either one as far as I'm concerned.   

vinylhi

« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2020, 04:11 am »
CAM's (same driver) driven by modded Musical Paradise MP 301 Mk3. Stunning for the price.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 29 Feb 2020, 05:01 pm »
I have run 3 generations of the Decware 2w Zen on many different Omega based single driver speakers (Alnico, RS5, 7, and old 4.5 HempCone) and the Zens had no problem driving them.  Never heard the HO’s.

Doodlebum

« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2020, 01:41 am »
I use the Decware Zen 25th on my jr. 8XRS and want for nothing, although I listen at non ear shattering levels in a medium sized space.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2020, 01:58 am »
A non-scientific test:  I usually run tubes in my Inspire that give me about 5 wpc.  When I run something like KT-88, EL-34, etc., which give closer to ten watts, I do notice a difference.  Dynamics do seem a bit stronger.  However, the sweetness and musicality of my chosen tubes at lower wattage is much more preferable to me.

.......Pete

Sandals123

« Reply #13 on: 1 Mar 2020, 07:10 pm »
I use a Triode Labs SET (2.5 watts) and I have never had a volume problem. The Tri is a beautiful amp and is a great match to the Omega's.