Help me find the ideal Modwright Amps

morganc

Help me find the ideal Modwright Amps
« on: 9 Mar 2021, 06:29 am »
Could anyone give me a comparison of the different modwright amps and integrated amps? 
I prefer more warmth and tube like bloom without the hassle of the tubes. 

eichlerera1

Re: Help me find the ideal Modwright Amps
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2021, 12:34 pm »
I assume you have read my KWA 100SE review.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=171149.0

I quite like this Amp but it needs a tube front end. (as do any of the ModWright Power Amps)

There are many tweaks that can be performed to improve performance and this Amp readily responds to them!

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2021, 01:17 pm »
I just added a Modwright KWH 225i Hybrid Integrated to power my Spatial X5's, and couldn't be happier. It uses 2x 6DJ8/E88CC/7308 family for preamp section, so there are many choices to warm up the sound if that's what you seek. I'm using some NOS Amperex E88CC's which have very nice balance. The amp section is bipolar with the first 25 wpc class A, which is ideal for the X series IMHO. Dan has really nailed it with this one.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2021, 02:51 pm »
I just added a Modwright KWH 225i Hybrid Integrated to power my Spatial X5's, and couldn't be happier. It uses 2x 6DJ8/E88CC/7308 family for preamp section, so there are many choices to warm up the sound if that's what you seek. I'm using some NOS Amperex E88CC's which have very nice balance. The amp section is bipolar with the first 25 wpc class A, which is ideal for the X series IMHO. Dan has really nailed it with this one.
Hi Tom,
I'm on the fence right now as to what to do. So many good choices. I have M3 Sapphires and first thought LTA, then Raven Osprey came into play and it dawned on me that for a little more $$ the 225i might be a great option. I currently have a Modwright Pioneer LX500 which I love so I am a little familiar with Dan's work. Just curious what you had before for your X5's and did you add the phono stage?

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2021, 04:24 pm »
Hi Tom,
I'm on the fence right now as to what to do. So many good choices. I have M3 Sapphires and first thought LTA, then Raven Osprey came into play and it dawned on me that for a little more $$ the 225i might be a great option. I currently have a Modwright Pioneer LX500 which I love so I am a little familiar with Dan's work. Just curious what you had before for your X5's and did you add the phono stage?
LTA Ultralinear with LTA microZOTL Level 2 preamp, Don Sachs Valhalla, Apollon 1ET400 dual mono, Nord Hypex MP502, Cherry Amp 60v Golden Maraschino monos. I absolutely love the KWH 225i, it was clearly a cut above the others in my setup, with a nice option for "tuning" with various 6DJ8 type tubes. I bought it through an authorized dealer, so I had a nice opportunity to home trial it before I bought it.

Unfortunately, I don't have a TT now due to restricted space here, but I used to have a full on Trans-Fi setup. If I ever do vinyl again, I would definitely go for the Modwright PH 9.0X.

One thing for sure is Dan's service and support is the best of the best. You just can't go wrong.

morganc

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2021, 05:21 pm »
Thanks for the replies. 
Currently I have a Don Sachs pre which I believe would pair well with a Modwright amp.  I love the 6sn7 tube and feel that it is a better option than the 6DJ8 though I’d be open to hearing the 225i.  Though buying and selling integrated if it’s not a match is much harder than with separates.

I’m also curious as to the difference between the Modwright amps.   Besides the obvious power rating differences that is....

Has anyone owned or listened to the various Modwright amps?  Which are more lean and which are more full bodied?  Tonality differences?   

Since Tom has the Same speakers I do, curious which amp would come closest sonically to the 225 Integrated?

TomS

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2021, 02:35 am »
Dan can probably answer that better than me, but the older power amps are Mosfet outputs, while the newer 225i is bipolar. Both were designed by the same guy though, so I'd think voicing would be similar. There isn't anything thin about this one, beautiful tone as well. How much is the preamp vs amp, I couldn't say.

nature boy

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2021, 03:30 pm »
Send Dan an email and ask him to call you for advice, he won't steer you wrong.

NB

jriggy

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2021, 03:44 pm »
In general the 100SE will be warmer than the 150SE

morganc

« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2021, 06:18 pm »
In general the 100SE will be warmer than the 150SE

Grazi