Speakers worthy of a Virtue One.2

audiophil

Speakers worthy of a Virtue One.2
« on: 24 Apr 2010, 03:18 pm »
All,

I've purchased a Virtue One.2 (with 80W PS) as my entry point into high end audio. Along with a Devilsound DAC, I'm working on achieving my first higher quality system. I'm currently using a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Model Six Bookshelf Speakers (90 db Sensitivity). While I'm getting excellent sound, I'm guessing I'm not doing the Virtue amp justice and wondering how much better things could sound...

Are there speakers out there that follow the Virtue philosophy of "bringing the sensory experience of the high-end audio to the masses"? Or do I need to spend thousands of dollars to keep my speakers from being the weakest link in the chain? Any recommendations on speakers that would get me in the "sweet spot" where beyond that I would get diminishing returns?

bummrush

Re: Speakers worthy of a Virtue One.2
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2010, 04:10 pm »
 You dont need to spend thousands,but you do need to really look around and find what you can that offer extreme clarity,not as easy as it sounds.

Cheerwino

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2010, 04:42 pm »
I really like my Horn Shoppe Model 1 "The Horn" with the Virtue One.1 with 130w PS and Piano M1. The Virtue One plays even better through the Horns with the Truth buffered preamp, too. I also have a Nelson Pass First Watt F1 and the Virtue One gives it a run for the money when both are fed by the preamp. http://thehornshoppe.com/index.html

I think the Horns are now $850 a pair shipped. They're a single driver Fostex 126E in a rear loaded horn cabinet. They sit about three feet tall and are designed for corners although they can be pulled out if you have a sub. The speakers have been well reviewed, but may be an acquired taste. The preamp is just out and hasn't been reviewed, other than forums. http://thehornshoppe.com/reviews.html

OzarkTom

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2010, 07:54 pm »
Try listening to the Gallo Stradas at $2000 pr. No crossovers or cabinets to distract from the clarity or imaging. If anyone here goes to the Lone Star Fest in Dallas next month, look me up. If everything goes well, I will have my system there.

dvenardos

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2010, 02:57 am »
GR Research Neo 2X.

Light-Echo

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2010, 09:14 pm »
What Don said, The Neo 2X.  http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=148

If you like what you see but don't want to build it yourself there are several people over on the GR circle site who will do very professional builds for you (Ron comes to mind). 

Or you could visit Ninja-san:
http://www.skiingninja.com/GR-N2X-Ready-to-Play-p/grn2xfull.htm

Regards
Dave

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2010, 02:29 am »
I had some 6" 2ways I designed and built to go with the One.2 but I'm out and don't see having the time to build more soon.
I've heard Allot of good things about the GR Research speakers.
another great small speaker (in my opinion) is the Usher 529 which can be had for pretty cheap
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1277315618&/Usher-S-520-Gloss-Black-Loudsp

there are a ton of speakers out there that your One.2 will make sing.
the nice part of buying used is that if you dont like them you wont loose %50 right off the bat.

PSB Guy

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2010, 12:31 pm »
I'm the one who bought Jason's speakers, so you can't have 'em  :). They're gonna be replacing a pair of PSB B5's paired to my M901 w/JT Dynamic power supply. Good speakers, but like you I'm wondering what more I can get out of the amp. I'm sure any of the speakers mentioned would allow you to see more of the colour your One.2 has to offer. One of the great things about any of the Virtue amps is that they aren't fussy about speaker impedance, so you have a lot of choice. But on the other hand, they will highlight any weaknesses your speakers may have. Your budget, room setting and preference to speaker type (horns, etc.) will go a long way in deciding your choice.

OzarkTom

« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2010, 12:41 pm »
I
there are a ton of speakers out there that your One.2 will make sing.
the nice part of buying used is that if you dont like them you wont loose %50 right off the bat.

The only problem on the Stradas, I doubt if you see a used pair for a very long time. That 6moons review was dead on when they said the Stradas sound like Electrostats.

ismarketing

« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2010, 04:13 pm »
Check out the Minuets from Silverline.  They have had amazing reviews, are really tiny, and mate wonderfully with the Virtue amps.  The mid-range is just beautiful and they actually make real bass from their tiny woofers.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2010, 05:42 pm »
I prefer the Preludes to the Minuets with our small amps (they were featured together in Positive Feedback).  The others we exhibited with at RMAF are also highly recommended - Omega Super 6 Alnico, Usher (S-520, Tiny Dancer, Mini 1, Mini 2), Ascend Sierra, GR (as discussed)., GT (mentioned)... With the high-current supplies, the amps are more forgiving of super low-impedence loads. 

According to some customers, speakers such as the Totem Arrow just don't work well with the amp.  They apparently have some very interesting amplifiers requirements.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2010, 07:55 pm by virtue »

pardales

« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2010, 06:04 pm »
I really like my Horn Shoppe Model 1 "The Horn" with the Virtue One.1 with 130w PS and Piano M1. The Virtue One plays even better through the Horns with the Truth buffered preamp, too. I also have a Nelson Pass First Watt F1 and the Virtue One gives it a run for the money when both are fed by the preamp. http://thehornshoppe.com/index.html

I think the Horns are now $850 a pair shipped. They're a single driver Fostex 126E in a rear loaded horn cabinet. They sit about three feet tall and are designed for corners although they can be pulled out if you have a sub. The speakers have been well reviewed, but may be an acquired taste. The preamp is just out and hasn't been reviewed, other than forums. http://thehornshoppe.com/reviews.html

I'll second that! 

OzarkTom

« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2010, 02:45 am »
There are some AV123s on AG right now.

I am talking about the Anthony Gallo Stadas.

Xcalibur

« Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2010, 07:15 am »
GR Research Neo 2X.
The predecessor of this speaker is what I run my TWO with, and the combo works nicely.  The speakers are the weakest (and cheapest not coincidentally) link in the system but I still enjoy it a lot.

Would LOVE to hear the new Dannie Richie designed Focus line source series from AV123 with Virtue gear, but they are all too rich for my blood.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2010, 05:28 am »
I'd forgotten about this thread. 

I'm just really enjoying these Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE's.  Modest priced, $348.  Finish is underwhelmng but clean.  Price is awesome and straight out of the box, soooo sweet.  Very satisfying bass, terrific imaging.  Room filling.  Just a delight.  And it's plenty loud at 1/2 volume with my ONE.2/130w.

It's no wonder Ascend was able to build a company and loyal fan base around this speaker.

Seth
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2010, 11:35 pm by virtue »

al128

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jun 2010, 11:16 pm »

+1 for The Horn

I had Ed ship them damn speakers around half the planet and I am glad I did. I am very confident that its the last speaker I bought in this life (yes, they sound THAT good).

One thing that speaks highly of the Horns is the fact that there are a whole lot of folks using them that could afford speakers 2 to 10 times more expensive.

PRO (subjective):
- sound and soundstage
- 95+ db sensitivity (everything over 3wpc can drive those to insane levels)
- sound and soundstage
- Ed in loudspeakerlandia is what Seth is in amplandia (heck how often have you got an international long distance call just to ask if everything is ok with a product sold???)

CON (subjective):
- build quality is advanced DIY level (this is a very well known fact) - dont expect to receive sonus faber cabinet Qual.
- not the easiest speaker to place (thats a given if you take into consideration that the speaker uses the room as "cabinet extension". You  prob. spend a couple of weeks moving them around inch x inch to get them right.
- they need really long to break in (1 month gets you about 80% there, 3 months 90%)

so if the 850 bucks shipped are within your league give Ed a holler and tell him that you would take him up on the 30 days in-home test thingy ... and if you find better ones - he will not hassle you if you send it back.

cheers
al

Robb_G

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jun 2010, 01:36 am »
Seth,

Are you running the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE's with our without a sub-woofer?  If without, are you getting enough on the low end?  How big is your room?

They appear to be great speakers at a great price, and I am interested in them for my dining room, but I do not want to use a sub with them.

Thanks,
Robb

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jun 2010, 01:39 am »
No sub at all.  They're about 20" off the ground and I'm around 10 feet from them now.  Expansive, full and wonderful.  Pat Methany is plucking away right in front of me and the stand-up bass is right there next to him.  Just gorgeous.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #18 on: 10 Jun 2010, 01:54 am »
Pat Metheny sounds excellent on JBL's...LOL!!! :thumb:

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #19 on: 10 Jun 2010, 01:55 am »
You crack me up, Ed.  We need more people like you in the universe.