New MPOD and MPAD

ctk

Re: New MPOD and MPAD
« Reply #60 on: 5 Jun 2018, 05:37 pm »
James,

Did try to authorize auto renew again... no luck with Paypal or credit card submittal.

berrie

« Reply #61 on: 5 Jun 2018, 05:44 pm »
I don't know what is going here, there are no restrictions set on countries from which a subscription can be purchased.

The only thing I could imagine is that because the link on the website points to the US website this brings you into the US AppStore. One thing you could try is delete the app, then use the following link to go via the Canadian address and download the app again.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/rigelian/id1363775934?mt=8

Berrie

ctk

« Reply #62 on: 5 Jun 2018, 06:04 pm »
Hi Berrie,
Thanks. I will do this today.
Very weird that I could not find this listed in .ca app store via search (or with google even) as available in Canada at all.
Tried multiple times over last week or so. But your link takes me right there :thumb:

ctk

« Reply #63 on: 5 Jun 2018, 07:42 pm »
James and Berrie,
Thank Much for your help! Success!
Berrie was onto issue I think... my ipad was pointed to US site (with my location set to US). I did reset and try again but no luck....
My wife's ipad could see Rigelian in .ca site, but not me. I reboot mine and , magically, I can now see it on mine too. Very weird.
Downloaded and appears to be working :)

Berrie, still a mystery.... your provided link takes me right there (on my desktop) but if I enter itunes.apple.com/ca/app/ and do search for Rigelian I get zero. This is what led me to US site for Rigelian from google search results.

Again, Thanks for the help and sorry for the confusion.
Cory

Krutsch

« Reply #64 on: 6 Jun 2018, 12:05 am »
OK, I decided to give this another try, since the author updated to version 1.1.1 a week ago. And, I signed up for a subscription to see everything.

3. Browsing your collection is initially fast

One my gripes with the first version was constantly looking at the spinning graphic while Rigelian was loading albums. That seems to have been resolved in the newest version.

So, now, getting up and running is w-a-y faster than with Soundirok, which has the double-edged sword of pre-loading the entire MDP database and album art covers. It's a double-edged because once it is loaded, browsing is very fast (faster than Rigelian). But, for large collections, it can be agonizing to update after loading new music. To-MAY-to, To-MAH-to.

I downloaded the iPad version this evening onto my 2nd generation, 12" iPad Pro. The app looks really nice and works well. Nice work and congrats!

The lack of caching is an issue with the iPad version. On my iPhone X, the screen is smaller and the number of albums displayed is far less than what is viewable on the iPad Pro. So, swiping into a large collection via, say, Genres >, you don't really notice the delay as albums are populated "below the fold".

With the iPad Pro, however, the delay is very noticeable - maybe 2 seconds with each swipe down? It sort of appears like you are missing some albums and then 1-2 seconds later, you see something appear on the bottom edge. You swipe up and it stops... 2 seconds later, there is more... rinse and repeat. What's a little frustrating is that if you navigate to, say, Artists > and then back to Genres >, you start all over. Each traverse into a collection of albums (by artist or genre), you are treated to the spinning cursor.

Obviously a 1st world problem, but it does give Soundirock the edge, IMO, when browsing a large album collection.

Anyway, I will continue to subscribe and see what comes next. Exciting times that we have multiple apps to chose from for the BDP.

Camper

« Reply #65 on: 6 Jun 2018, 01:55 am »
This might be helpful.  It worked on old MPaD as well.  Go to library then to albums.  Scroll down slowly until each album art loads.  I have 1700 albums so it takes about 10mins.  Once this is done the next time you go to albums you don’t get the spinning wheel.  I wish there was a scroll bar on the side like with the artist list because scrolling down to z takes forever with 1700 albums.  Also since adding gracenote for missing album art I’m finding that some covers are incorrect despite having a Folder.jpg file in each folder.  I seem to recall old mpad app had a feature to change album art. Not sure why it is doing this now because before the last update my album art was perfect.

john1970

« Reply #66 on: 6 Jun 2018, 09:25 am »
I purchased the app for $4.50 annual subscription.  I still have issues with it loading either incorrect album art or duplicates (or more) of the same album under album view.  I bit annoying, but hopefully this gets addressed going forward. 

If someone knows how to fix the multiple album listing please let me know; I have never been able to figure out a solution.

Best regards,

John

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #67 on: 6 Jun 2018, 11:28 am »
I purchased the app for $4.50 annual subscription.  I still have issues with it loading either incorrect album art or duplicates (or more) of the same album under album view.  I bit annoying, but hopefully this gets addressed going forward. 

If someone knows how to fix the multiple album listing please let me know; I have never been able to figure out a solution.

Best regards,

John

Hi John

Berrie monitors this thread so he will be aware of any feedback posted here.

james

Krutsch

« Reply #68 on: 6 Jun 2018, 02:59 pm »
This might be helpful.  It worked on old MPaD as well.  Go to library then to albums.  Scroll down slowly until each album art loads.  I have 1700 albums so it takes about 10mins.  Once this is done the next time you go to albums you don’t get the spinning wheel.  I wish there was a scroll bar on the side like with the artist list because scrolling down to z takes forever with 1700 albums.  Also since adding gracenote for missing album art I’m finding that some covers are incorrect despite having a Folder.jpg file in each folder.  I seem to recall old mpad app had a feature to change album art. Not sure why it is doing this now because before the last update my album art was perfect.

That may be the case on the old MPaD, but Rigelian works as I describe above - you get the spinning wheel each time you navigate back into a collection.

Not to beat a dead horse, but with Soundirok, I can load the albums view and scroll as fast as I can swipe with zero delay; completely smooth.

berrie

« Reply #69 on: 6 Jun 2018, 07:36 pm »
Thanks for the feedback so far.

Scrolling performance: the pre-fetching was optimized for iPhone, and currently shows hick-ups on the iPad. You may expect some short-term improvements through optimization of the pre-fetch size. Long-term internal caching may get added, as that will also allow to properly show A-Z indexes etc.

Duplicate albums: this is caused by how the app internally deals with artist and album-artist. This will be improved in one of the upcoming releases.

Invalid cover art: the app will always load from local http first, and if no cover is found it will revert to gracenote. It may happen that the player doesn't return an image even if there is one, for example because it gets overloaded by too many cover requests. And once the gracenote image is used it is cached and will be used from thereon. I plan to add a function to select which cover to use on an individual album basis, so any covers which are wrong can be manually corrected.

Berrie

ctk

« Reply #70 on: 6 Jun 2018, 08:15 pm »
Hi Berrie,

Am back in bliss with Rigelian MPAD loaded and able to browse artists again.. been without defunct MPaD for some time now.
-Search works GREAT for me.
-Artist filter is great esp with alpha scroll on right side. Very speedy
-Browse folder, for some reason does not display all albums that actually reside in the folder. Can see all with artist explorer though. No big deal as I suspect this is meant for thumb drives with smaller library maybe?
-Albums. Seems to be DOA for my install. Have a single song displayed... but that is all. Most covers are displayed via artist filter exploration, but no album filter displays at all. I know this is important to most, and may be with me in future... but now I am pumped just to be able to run server again and access entire library from ipad on couch.

Thanks Again for this,
cory
« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2018, 02:27 am by ctk »

Krutsch

« Reply #71 on: 7 Jun 2018, 12:20 am »
Thanks for the feedback so far.

Berrie

Thank *you* for building a new MPD app.

berrie

« Reply #72 on: 18 Jun 2018, 07:11 pm »
Version 1.2.1 is available in the AppStore (may take some hours to appear in all countries):

• Better looking album and playlist views on the iPad
  • Improved handling of .wav files to deal with missing metadata in some mpd-versions
  • Improved scrolling on album views
  • Some small bug fixes

OgOgilby

« Reply #73 on: 28 Jun 2018, 03:12 am »
Nice job on the 1.2.1 update Berrie!

-Greg

alinto

« Reply #74 on: 29 Jun 2018, 09:57 pm »
Having used the former mpad app, i decided to give rigelian a try. I have been having a problem with the app not displaying the song name. Some back ground. I am using a bdp-2 with and attached external hard drive. My files are mainly from my ripped cd and sacd using EAC in wave and diff format. The info  is stored in root file of music, artist name, album name then song name. Rigelian saw bryston bdp-2 right away. When using rigelian i browse and can see the artist name and album name but not the song names. I see the number of songs on the album but with no name i can't choose the individual songs to play. The songs do play.  Any music i have bought via hdtracks, pono or 7digital behaves normally. The former mpad app worked with no problem. Bryston program played in firefox works properly. I have updated the firmware for both bdp-2 and my ipad air with no success. Any ideas? I have left a message with rigelian but no response yet.

CDinsmore

« Reply #75 on: 1 Jul 2018, 07:16 pm »
I bought a subscription last night, but can't get anything to show up under 'Albums', 'Recent Albums', or 'Genres'. All other functions seem to work fine although I haven't tried creating a playlist. All my settings appear to be correct, i.e. Cover Prefix is music/

CDinsmore

« Reply #76 on: 4 Jul 2018, 08:25 pm »
Berrie figured determined my issue was that I wasn't running v0.19 of MPD.  Rigelian supports v0.17, v0.18 and v0.19, and only that last one returns all the required metadata to the client.

berrie

« Reply #77 on: 4 Jul 2018, 08:58 pm »
To alinto: my reply to your message bounced because of an invalid mail address. Anyway, in my mail I asked the following question:

Can you send one of the music files for which the song name is missing, so I can try to reproduce this? Second question, which version of mpd are you running on the BDP?

berrie

« Reply #78 on: 23 Jul 2018, 08:00 pm »
Version 1.2.4 has just been released, the main new feature is that browse and search now supports Composer and Performer. I hope this is a useful addition for those who enjoy classical music.

NorthMac

« Reply #79 on: 6 Aug 2018, 06:00 pm »
A bit late to the Rigelian party as I don't follow AudioCircle that closely, but I have purchased 1.2.4 version, and it is a wonderful improvement to previous interfaces for using the Bryston digital player.  Composer sort is fantastic, since I have never had this it has shown up many inconsistencies in my composer tagging, but this is my fault and easily remedied with a spare 30 minutes sometime.   As Krutsch noted the Artist sort might be a bit nicer if we could populate a thumb with an artist image - perhaps do the same as for album art, but have the user indicate that a "artist.jpg" file in the album folder is to be used for Artist image?  I assume the few populated now are coming from Gracenote?

My only usability issue is that the Queue process is not intuitive, and I cannot figure out how to add a 2nd album to an already playing queue.  If I go into an album track list, hit the play button, that album plays.  Go back to the cover view, long hold on a new cover for adding another album, and the 5 options appear.  The button "Add at End" would seem to be what I want, but it does not do anything, the queue stays as it was when I selected the first album.  This is no different if I had selected the first album also with a long hold and press "Add next and Play" - I still can't add to the queue.  (using an iPad Air... latest iOS).

A big thank you to Berrie, and also James T., as from post #1 I take it that Bryston was behind this Mpad revival - a very smart move.