What box design for Shiva-X

DragooNArT

What box design for Shiva-X
« on: 7 Jul 2008, 06:36 pm »
I'm having problems deciding on a design on the Exodus Shiva-x with the Oaudio 500w amp.I want the woofer to go down to about 20hz without much loss of sound pressure and i want to be able to use it's potential but i am restricted with size because i want the subwoofer to be movable(not too heavy) so i think about 120l would be the maximum i can construct
the other problem is that the 4" port is not enough and gives out at about 300w in the 120l box plus i can't spend more on a PR.I tried two 4" ports but the simulations displayed a bump in the 30-40hz region plus a very narrow fall after about 35hz.basically what i want is a woofer that can withstand 500w without chuffing from the port in a box no bigger than 120l

Kevin Haskins

Re: What box design for Shiva-X
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2008, 07:03 pm »
You want conflicting things.    :wink:

You just won't get a small box, low tune with a large diameter port necessary for proper operation of the Shiva-X.    The only resonant system that will work, would be a passive radiator, which you have already placed off limits.

DragooNArT

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2008, 07:14 pm »
Okay let's say a bit higher like tuned to 30-35hz or just what's the best bass reflex not too heavy box that would be suitable for the shiva

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2008, 07:26 pm »
Build a small sealed one and use the O-Audio EQ to bring-up the bottom.   You won't get flat anechoic to 20Hz but you probably don't want that anyway.   You want flat IN-ROOM response which means you have to consider the room gain.     

You also will give up some output going this way but you will get the smaller/lighter box you are looking for.   

You definitely don't want to tune it to 30-35Hz.   You will get a really bad sounding subwoofer. 

DragooNArT

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2008, 07:30 pm »
thanks Kevin i'll probably make the small closed box at first since it's cheap and see if i'm satisfied if i like it it will stay like that for atleast a year until i build one of your ported designs(the bigger one :) )