Come out with your hands up! You're Surrounded

John Casler

« on: 25 Sep 2004, 01:18 am »
No this isn't the IRS asking for additional tax data, it is the question of what speaker to use in a surround application from VMPS.

This is tough and easy at the same time.  And I might add that I have a few "on the wall" (as compared to off the wall :mrgreen: ) ideas, as well as others that might "floor" you.

First you need to decide what the major function of your surround application will be.  HT, Multi-channel Audio, and or the % combination of each.

Surround Speaker #1 = The Ribbon Dipole

This speaker should be used for those "Super Theaters" where high dispersion and ambience are the goals.

Surround speaker #2 = RM30C

???? :o  :o YEP.  You want a speaker that gives incredible coverage to the side surrounds for two to three rows of listeners?  This is your speaker.  Oh Yeah, I'm talking about "HORIZONTAL" wall, stand, or shelf mounting.  While this may be a surprise to some, if you think about it, it is perfect for those who have the room and walls to support it.

And the beauty of it is, that it works incredibly well for both HT and Multichannel Music.  Do mount it at ear level. or slightly above "tilted down" for best multichannel results.

Surround speaker #3 = The Large Ribbon Center  

This speaker is great too as a surround as well as a Center.  It will play loudly and deeply, and is "front ported" so it can be mounted on the wall easily.  Again ear level, or higher tilted down.

Surround speakers #4, #5, #6 the Floorstanders = RM30M, RM2, RM1

If you are doing a serious multichannel music system these three speakers (should be at ear level) offer the best option.  The RM30 is spectacular and the RM1 is front ported to provide a "closer to the wall" placement.

The RM2 will offer a level of bass reinforcement that has to be heard.

For the best "multichannel" (if you have a dedicated room) implementation, you would place the speakers the same distance from the wall as the mains.

Surround speakers #6 = The 626R

This is one fantastic speaker and will work quite well as a surround.  Its only limitation is the rear port, which can be "stuffed" (raising the effective low frequency response) if placed close to a wall.  This only need be done "if" you find the bass is too boomy without the stuffing.

So there you have it.  I think B has you surrounded :lol:

shokunin

« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2004, 06:08 pm »
For those of use with the need to "integrate" our systems into everyday living spaces, all of the VMPS speakers are HUGE.  I for one would like to see something more streamlined.  Say a tall thin spaeaker based on the 626R. Say a front ported box about 7" deep 8" wide 50"  tall or something along those lines.  Sure it'd be tippy but with the right base or near wall-mounted it would fit in most homes better than say 626R's and getting some stands for them.   Heck I'd even go for a speaker using a 4" woofer or 5 1/4" anything to get the size down.

Obviously there would a tradeoff in performance, so this more of an "decor" speaker than an high-performance surround.  This would also be a great floorstander for wall mounted plasmas too.

shokunin

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2004, 06:11 pm »
I know the RM30's would seem perfect, but it's too deep to fit around couches and near a door etc.  If the RM30C depth could be cut in half it'd be perfect  for use as horizontal or vertical.

meilankev

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2004, 12:55 am »
John,

I can vouch for the Ribbon Dipole.  As you know, I heard it at Clyde's house, and was very impressed.  It is small enough to fit into almost any Home Theater, and it is just "weird" enough to where you won't be able to take your eyes off of it.

I honestly can't think of many VMPS-based Home Theaters in which the Ribbon Dipole would not work wonderfully.  But if they want to spend extra cash - hey, it's theirs to spend...

Kevin

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2004, 02:39 pm »
Quote from: meilankev
John,

I can vouch for the Ribbon Dipole.  As you know, I heard it at Clyde's house, and was very impressed.  It is small enough to fit into almost any Home Theater, and it is just "weird" enough to where you won't be able to take your eyes off of it.

I honestly can't think of many VMPS-based Home Theaters in which the Ribbon Dipole would not work wonderfully.  But if they want to spend extra cash - hey, it's theirs to spend...

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I just received a post from Clyde and he is sitting "IN" a Hurricane as we speak.

His poor house is now getting battered from the inside and the outside. :o

But yes the Dipoles are one of the most unique looking speakers in the VMPS line and for those with THX Home Theaters is is a good match.

Campindog

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2004, 01:59 am »
What? No "ultimate" music set up? How about some RM/X's up front with some RM40's for the rears with a 30C in the middle?  :o  I think I'd drive across state lines to hear that.

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2004, 04:51 am »
Quote from: Campindog
What? No "ultimate" music set up? How about some RM/X's up front with some RM40's for the rears with a 30C in the middle?  :o  I think I'd drive across state lines to hear that.

Ultimate "2 channel" is a pair of Piano Black TRT'd RM/x's with 6 LARGER Piano Black Subs stacked in two columns of three subs.

Each RM/x is biamped with a pair of Black Faced AMPzilla Monoblocs and each sub also has its own bloc. (10 AMpzilla 2Ks all together)

I would probably go with the Gryphon CD Player (cause it looks so damn sexy) and maybe the Hovland preamp.

All would be mounted on Piano Black PolyCrystal stands.

shokunin

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2004, 01:48 pm »
Wha? No turntable? Throw in a rockport Sirius III with Manley Steelhead, Aesthetix IO deluxe, Lamm LP2 or better yet, a Boulder phono stage.

John B

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2004, 02:57 pm »
By the way, multichannel playback with more than 6 channels is going to be a theme at the 117th AES Conference. The developers at Japan's NHK Network will also be describing how they are using a 22.2 Channel audio system in conjunction with very high definition video playback and an "Integrated Surround Sound Panning System" to enhance the videos.
 Full article http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=13855778

I figure 4 RMx's at the corner positions, 2 RM30's for the dual centers, 2 RM30 for the rear centers and 7 626R's per side.  And of course 2 larger sub/with megawoofers.   That ought to bring the house down  :mrgreen:

meilankev

« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2004, 03:02 pm »
shokunin,

There's no reason for John to buy a megabuck Rockport turntable to wring the best out of that system.  I'm sure a 25 year old Harmon Kardon turntable (with a $50.00 cartridge) would outperform the Gryphon he listed.  :D

Kevin

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2004, 03:38 pm »
shokunin,

There's no reason for John to buy a megabuck Rockport turntable to wring the best out of that system.  I'm sure a 25 year old Harmon Kardon turntable (with a $50.00 cartridge) would outperform the Gryphon he listed.  :D

Kevin
 Didn't mean to neglect Vinyl (it was late and it was hard to find "matching black" components.

Kev, I had an HK turntable 30 years ago which I loved.  It was the Rabco ST-7 (if my memory serves me correctly :roll: ) with "straightline" tracking arm.  I had a Denon 103 plugged into the arm and played into CITATION electronics, to Four "stacked" Dahlquist DQ-10s with a pair of Dahlquist Stereo SUBS.

It was fantastic!!  No matter if it was Elton John or Arthur Feilder, it was mesmerizing.

My present table has the Shure 3009 III arm which I also like so with that "heritage" I would add something like this for vinyl.

Rockport with SME

or Rockport with "straightline" tracking.

shokunin

« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2004, 04:43 pm »

Kevin

I hear ya loud n clear Kevin :D.

sbcgroup1

Re: Come out with your hands up! You're Surrounded
« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2004, 06:02 pm »
Quote from: John Casler
This speaker should be used for those "Super Theaters" where high dispersion and ambience are the goals.

Surround speaker #2 = RM30C

I want a super theatre now!!!:) I honestly would have never thought about using the RM30C for side surrounds. Now you've "planted the seed" and I'll probably eventually trade up from my LRC's. My 30C is an incredible center channel. As for stereo music, my preference is my 40's combined with the sub (2.1 ch). As far as multi-channel music, I think the industry is still out to lunch on that issue, which is a shame.

Oh, and for record players, I'd go with the Rockport...:lol:

-Ed

meilankev

« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2004, 06:15 pm »
John,

While my first turntable (that was bought with my funds) was a Philips, I replaced it in 1981 with a Studer Revox B795 (which I still own).  It still functions wonderfully, and I even use it sometimes (it is part of my wife's system now).

When I bought it, it cost around $900.00 retail, but since I was in the USAF in Germany then, I was able to get it at a budget price - $525.00 delivered to my Mom's house in Louisiana.

When I bought my Thiels back in 1989, I was able to get a 3-day in-home trial of a pair of Dahlquist speakers.  I think they were called the DQ-12??? - they cost about $2,000 as I remember.  Very cool looking and sounding - a great contrast to the Martin-Logan/Magnepan/Thiel/Vandersteen speakers I was looking at.

Kevin

Sa-dono

« Reply #14 on: 29 Sep 2004, 02:44 am »
Quote from: shokunin
Wha? No turntable? Throw in a rockport Sirius III with Manley Steelhead, Aesthetix IO deluxe, Lamm LP2 or better yet, a Boulder phono stage.

So when are you going to add that to your system? I wouldn't mind hearing the Teres, either. :mrgreen:

John Casler

« Reply #15 on: 29 Sep 2004, 03:11 am »
Quote from: Sa-dono

So when are you going to add that to your system? I wouldn't mind hearing the Teres, either. :mrgreen:

Shokunin is a "stone" vinyl head in just three weeks. :lol:

I'm looking forward also to hearing his table/arm/cart.

Strangely enough the "Ultismo 2 Channel System" I describe above, is within Shokunin's grasp (except for the Gryphon which only looks the part) :o  :o

John Casler

« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2004, 03:18 am »
John,

When I bought my Thiels back in 1989, I was able to get a 3-day in-home trial of a pair of Dahlquist speakers. I think they were called the DQ-12??? - they cost about $2,000 as I remember. Very cool looking and sounding - a great contrast to the Martin-Logan/Magnepan/Thiel/Vandersteen speakers I was looking at.

I think I heard the DQ-12's and the DQ-20s and they didn't seem to have the magic the DQ-10s had.  I think Jon lost his spark and started selling Real Estate.

Actually of the speakers you mentioned, the Vandesteens eventually were most similar to the DQ-10s, with their "open architecture" and time alignment.

I just sold those Dollies only a few weeks ago for $400.  More than 1/2 of what I paid for them over 30!!!!! years ago :o  :o  :o   I bought them in 1974!!!

Sa-dono

« Reply #17 on: 29 Sep 2004, 03:28 am »
Quote from: John Casler

Shokunin is a "stone" vinyl head in just three weeks. :lol:

I'm looking forward also to hearing his table/arm/cart.

Strangely enough the "Ultismo 2 Channel System" I describe above, is within Shokunin's grasp (except for the Gryphon which only looks the part) :o  :o

Yeah..definitely scary. :o

I can't wait to hear his system, once he "finishes" things up. :D

shokunin

« Reply #18 on: 29 Sep 2004, 08:33 am »
Quote from: Sa-dono

THere's definitely NO rockport in my future.  Possibly a Teres, though.  Between the Steelhead and the Aesthetix, the steelhead just sound better to me, and thus it's now in my system, just need to get some more tubes :).  John is right, vinyl just knocked my socks off.  All my 80's LP's sound (relatively) fantastic.  It must be the crappy a->d converters they used in 80's to master CDs or something.   Anyways, call me a die hard vinyl guy now  :mrgreen:

Sa-dono

« Reply #19 on: 30 Sep 2004, 07:36 am »
THere's definitely NO rockport in my future.  Possibly a Teres, though.  Between the Steelhead and the Aesthetix, the steelhead just sound better to me, and thus it's now in my system, just need to get some more tubes :).  John is right, vinyl just knocked my socks off.  All my 80's LP's sound (relatively) fantastic.  It must be the crappy a->d converters they used in 80's to master CDs or something.   Anyways, call me a die hard vinyl guy now  :mrgreen:

Yeah...I couldn't see paying whatever percent of the $53K (?) that the Rockport costs. :o The Teres TT's do look sweet.

I'll look forward to hearing your setup, when it's "complete". I have considered adding vinyl, but much of my collection is either not on vinyl, or would be very difficult to obtain on vinyl. We'll see what the future brings... :?: