Any U192S users running MacOS?

Thunder240

Any U192S users running MacOS?
« on: 31 Jul 2013, 05:40 pm »
Hey folks, I recently picked up a U192S to use with my Mac Mini running Snow Leopard.  Unfortunately there appears to be some compatibility issues between the NuForce 192k driver and XBMC 12 (Frodo). It crashes XMBC whenever I go to play a 192k song (not a full-on freeze, but rather no music plays and I can't play any other music thereafter regardless of resolution, and then when I go to quit XBMC I then get a full system freeze that I can only recover from with a force quit). Also, when I play a movie encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1, on the very first movie I play the U192S passes the DD bitstream no problem, but then every movie thereafter it won't pass the bitstream. (If using optical, for all subseqent movies the U192S emits a clicking sound. If using digital coax then I just get silence.) Very strange behavior!

So, I'm wondering who else out there is using the U192S with MacOS, and if you are, have you found any music server software allows you to play 192k music as well as DD/DTS encoded audio without any issues? I say server software because I need to be able to stream my media to other DNLA-enabled playback devices in addition to playing it on the Mac Mini via the U192S.

For the record, I haven't had any compatibility problems using Quicktime Player to play 192k music via the U192S (although Quicktime Player won't pass a 5.1 bitstream without the assistance of Perian, but that's another story).

John Casler

Re: Any U192S users running MacOS?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2013, 11:12 pm »
I am under the impression, that the U192S only works in 2 channel, and PCM not bitstream.

What is interesting is that you had it passing DD 5.1 at all.

I am checking with those more experienced and knowledgeable than I for more info.

Thunder240

Re: Any U192S users running MacOS?
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2013, 11:23 pm »
Thats very  interesting. I confirmed that after freshly launching XBMC 12 I am able to send a 5.1 DD bitstream to my receiver via the U192S, by both digital coax and optical. My receiver sees and decodes the bitstream.

I have the midi utility set to 192k 2ch 24 bit. I also have Perian installed, though I do not have the DD passthrough "hack" enabled.