BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

werd

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #220 on: 28 Feb 2011, 08:14 pm »

On a side note, the BDP-1 connects to my Classe SSP-800 via S/PDIF. The Classe SSP-800 has an info screen reporting data input. With high resolution files (up to 192 kHz), it often reports 48 kHz. This is not the case with high resolution feeds from my Classe CDT-300 via S/PDIF or the Oppo BDP-93 via HDMI. I called Bryston in regards to this, and was told to expect a return call with some insight on this. A week later - no call returned. any ideas out there on what might be occurring?

Hi

I do agree that the interface is a work in progess but its still functions and i get all my artwork on my itouch.

I notice that on that class ssp-800 the coax is only tracking at 96khz tops. Its probably reporting incorrectly due to the truncating function of the coax. All my files on the bdp seem to respond on my bda correctly. Those being 192,96,88 and 48. I have yet to see it slip up.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #221 on: 28 Feb 2011, 08:52 pm »
James,

my dealer told me that the BDP-1 needs up to 80 hours for break in. true?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #222 on: 28 Feb 2011, 09:00 pm »
James,

my dealer told me that the BDP-1 needs up to 80 hours for break in. true?

al.

I would say if it does not sound good when you first turn it on then something is wrong :nono: As it warms up it tends to sound more spacious and more coherent.

james

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #223 on: 28 Feb 2011, 11:31 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hi Ned,

Yes it sounds like you would be better off with a computer based system using Media Monkey or other Music Players that offer a lot of the features you're after.  By the way MAX will scroll on your iPad but you have to use TWO fingers as it is a window within a window.

I realize that the BDP-1 is not for everyone and that the priority for us was state of the art music playback which for some in not enough. It is first and foremost a PLAYER. The advantage of the MINI and MAX is they use a web-browser so lots of products can interface - the disadvantage is they are slower than specific MPD Apps that are much quicker to respond. We are certainly working on making the MINI and MAX more user accesable but the original purpose of the MINI and MAX was to provide our customers with a back-up interface rather than re-inventing another music player because there are so many new music player interfaces coming out on the market - example the new IPAD interface for Linux MPD- is superb. http://www.katoemba.net/makesnosenseatall/mpad/

As for the Oppo as well as other players we have looked at the SPDIF is limited to 48K whereas the HDMI can do 192.  I can tell you the BDP-1 has no issues with outputting 192k

james

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #224 on: 28 Feb 2011, 11:48 pm »
I cannot seem to get a quote added in, but in response to my prior post, the reason I got the BDP-1 was for state of the art audio playback. I was a bit taken back with the response that this was not for me. $2100 down the drain? The interfaceshould be commensurate with the price of entry. There are a lot of computer interface options, and none hasbeen as perfect in playback as the BDP-1. The owner looking for outstanding playback of music files should expect a good playback interface. Yes, the Meridian options is much mores costly, but I would venture that the BDP-1 is the better options. Too late to turn the BDP-1 in regardless of the suggestion. I am eagerly awaiting the new mPaD client interface. Regarding the Classe SSP-800 issue I raised, the Oppo BDP-93 via HDMI and S/PDIF and Classe CDT-300 via S/PDIF reports up to 192 kHz on the Classe SSP-800 input info page. As suggested above, the Classe is likely incorrectly reporting output from the BDP-1 as the high resolution files sound as I would expect without truncation through the  BDP-1. Please do not think as I am being defensive or have mean will, I urge the envelope be pushed on this otherwise remarkable audio product.
Cheers,
Ned

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #225 on: 28 Feb 2011, 11:56 pm »
I cannot seem to get a quote added in, but in response to my prior post, the reason I got the BDP-1 was for state of the art audio playback. I was a bit taken back with the response that this was not for me. $2100 down the drain? The interfaceshould be commensurate with the price of entry. There are a lot of computer interface options, and none hasbeen as perfect in playback as the BDP-1. The owner looking for outstanding playback of music files should expect a good playback interface. Yes, the Meridian options is much mores costly, but I would venture that the BDP-1 is the better options. Too late to turn the BDP-1 in regardless of the suggestion. I am eagerly awaiting the new mPaD client interface. Regarding the Classe SSP-800 issue I raised, the Oppo BDP-93 via HDMI and S/PDIF and Classe CDT-300 via S/PDIF reports up to 192 kHz on the Classe SSP-800 input info page. As suggested above, the Classe is likely incorrectly reporting output from the BDP-1 as the high resolution files sound as I would expect without truncation through the  BDP-1. Please do not think as I am being defensive or have mean will, I urge the envelope be pushed on this otherwise remarkable audio product.
Cheers,
Ned

Hi Ned,

In the top right hand area of the post you will see the word QUOTE.  Just click on that and then make sure you add your comments below the word Quote that comes up in the text window.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #226 on: 1 Mar 2011, 12:03 am »
Cheers,
Ned

Sorry Ned I did not mean to come across as disrespectful or condescending – I was just trying to make the point for any future buyers that the BDP-1 is not for those wanting an ‘all in one’ solution for digital MANAGEMENT – it is a PLAYER and the idea was to totally separate the Management side of the equation from the Playback side.

I just worry and I'm concerned that our customers are not disappointed and I try to make the Player point as often as I can so as not to mislead.

My apology if I offended you.

James

BrysTony

« Reply #227 on: 1 Mar 2011, 12:45 am »
Regarding the interface for managing the music library attached to the BDP-1, I think it is important that some thought goes into initially setting up the library with logical folders.  I have mine set up by /genre/artist/album/song and I think it is easy to find the music that I want to listen to or create a playlist.  I was somewhat concerned with the interface prior to getting my BDP-1 but I have found it to be a non-issue.  It is all about the sound...

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #228 on: 1 Mar 2011, 12:53 am »
Regarding the interface for managing the music library attached to the BDP-1, I think it is important that some thought goes into initially setting up the library with logical folders.  I have mine set up by /genre/artist/album/song and I think it is easy to find the music that I want to listen to or create a playlist.  I was somewhat concerned with the interface prior to getting my BDP-1 but I have found it to be a non-issue.  It is all about the sound...

Tony

Good point Tony - I arrange my folders by Artist and it works great. :thumb:

james

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #229 on: 1 Mar 2011, 12:55 am »
There is an excellent treatise that addresses, albeit indirectly, the issue at hand by CP Snow titled Two Cultures regarding sciences and humanities. The BDP-1 addressees the science, the human interface is the humanity. The two are intertwined and should be considered one and the same. A rich interface enhances the listening experience. I would not have invested in a very expensive uppper level Dynaudio speaker system  with Mark Levinson and Audio Research amplifiers because I did not care about music. Performance is fine, but I do not see Bryston offering any item with highly researched performance to leave the owner to find their own power supply or DAC chip to enable the equipment. Don't leave the human out of the equation!
Ned

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #230 on: 1 Mar 2011, 01:07 am »
Good point Tony - I arrange my folders by Artist and it works great. :thumb:

james
I agree that having a highly organized system is important. All of my files are by artist, but to use an absurd examples, what if you remember an album (Dark Side of the Moon), but not the artist (Pink Floyd) or a song (So What), but not artist (Miles Davis). Large music libraries require multiple search capabilities.
Ned

BrysTony

« Reply #231 on: 1 Mar 2011, 01:24 am »
I agree that having a highly organized system is important. All of my files are by artist, but to use an absurd examples, what if you remember an album (Dark Side of the Moon), but not the artist (Pink Floyd) or a song (So What), but not artist (Miles Davis). Large music libraries require multiple search capabilities.
Ned
Ned,
I agree with you that these questions may come up but remember that you are using a device with a browser to communicate with the BDP-1.  Google or Wikipedia can easily answer any of these type questions and realistically speaking, I don't think they come up very often.  I am sitting in my office and I just sent the "command" to my BDP-1 in another room to play the Miles Davis album "Kind of Blue".  I choose to be happy as I listen to Miles Davis and "So What".

Tony

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #232 on: 1 Mar 2011, 01:39 am »
Ned,
I agree with you that these questions may come up but remember that you are using a device with a browser to communicate with the BDP-1.  Google or Wikipedia can easily answer any of these type questions and realistically speaking, I don't think they come up very often.  I am sitting in my office and I just sent the "command" to my BDP-1 in another room to play the Miles Davis album "Kind of Blue".  I choose to be happy as I listen to Miles Davis and "So What".

Tony
Brilliant, but what about the non-tech savvy user that loves music and expects the best from his/her catalogue? I am looking out at the worst case example of a high-end non-tech BDP-1 user. I would dare stake a bet that most users are not going to Google for their music. I would never do the same for financial information for my company, I expect the information as presented from finances to be in order and absolutely correct and surchable within the reports. Why should that be so different for music I own (yes I buy CD's and am a big fan of HD Tracks). Not to be met as a challenge, just a comment.
Cheers, Ned

skunark

« Reply #233 on: 1 Mar 2011, 03:38 am »
I think with the proper feedback, James and Bryston will have to consider it.

For example, they might not have control over the various mpd client even though it's an open source based solution.  It doesn't mean that they can't improve upon the BDP webpage.  Also feed back like having to delete a key file if you add more music to a thumbdrive or disk drive is something Bryston can improve on.       

Perhaps Bryston can send out a survey to all the new owners and find out what the popular clients folks are using and either donate funds or a BDP to one or two of the client developers with our feedback.   

OgOgilby

« Reply #234 on: 5 Mar 2011, 02:04 am »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 the new IPAD interface for Linux MPD- is superb. http://www.katoemba.net/makesnosenseatall/mpad/

james

MPad is available now  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #235 on: 5 Mar 2011, 02:31 am »
MPad is available now  :thumb:

Works great folks - go to the APPs store on the iPad and search for MPAD and download - $2.99

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #236 on: 5 Mar 2011, 02:48 am »
MEMO: BDP-1 INTERFACE
SUBJECT: MPad

March, 2011

Hi Folks,

There is a great new interface for the Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player available.

On your iPad go to the APP Store and search for ‘MPaD’.  Download the app to the iPad desktop – costs $2.99.  MPaD Icon (green) will appear on your desktop.

Set-up:

1. Open the MPaD icon

2. Touch the gear shaped icon at the top of the page in the middle

3. Name - BDP-1

4. Server – Bryston-bdp-1.local

5. Port - 6600

It works great with the BDP-1

ENJOY!

James Tanner
Bryston
« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2011, 02:05 pm by James Tanner »

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #237 on: 5 Mar 2011, 03:59 pm »
The MPaD program is brilliant. The is the client interface that was needed all along. I did have a few issues with initial setup and had to do repeated refreshes of the local database to finally get the program up and running. So if your entire library does not lad, keep hitting refresh local data base in the settings window until all loads. If you own the BDP-1 and you don't have an iPad, now is the reason to buy one! :icon_lol:
Ned

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #238 on: 5 Mar 2011, 04:06 pm »
James,

are there any other colours than aqua blue available for the display?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #239 on: 5 Mar 2011, 04:29 pm »
James,

are there any other colours than aqua blue available for the display?

al.

Green

james