Rear channel question

floresjc

Rear channel question
« on: 15 Jun 2010, 01:20 am »
I'm in the process of planning for finishing my basement. I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle the rear channels, of something say like a Song Surround I or II. Right now there is nothing but a block wall so I'm pretty free to do whatever.

Is the best approach to finish the wall normally and then buy some sort of wall mount? If so, which one is pretty good? Or should I build some sort of custom cubby/ledge to set the speaker on and then I could build the wiring right into the wall? This is kind of the way I'm leaning, but I'm not exactly sure what I'd build without encroaching into the floorspace much. I am also trying to figure out the best height to put the speakers. Normally, they are ear level, but in most "mounted" configurations people seem to have them fairly high up.

Thanks all for any help.

jsalk

Re: Rear channel question
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2010, 02:03 am »
For the SongSurround I's, I would recommend the B-Tech BT-77 mount.  I and many others have used it with great success.  It probably wouldn't hold a SongSurround II, so you'd have to find an alternative for that.

- Jim

floresjc

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2010, 02:11 am »
For the SongSurround I's, I would recommend the B-Tech BT-77 mount.  I and many others have used it with great success.  It probably wouldn't hold a SongSurround II, so you'd have to find an alternative for that.

- Jim

Do you have any idea where I can find these? A quick search shows that its been discontinued, Amazon nor Crutchfield or other larger retailers seem to have any.

Edit: I seem to have found the AM-40 from Pinpoint Mounts, looks to be the same thing.

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2010, 03:41 am »
Do you have any idea where I can find these? A quick search shows that its been discontinued, Amazon nor Crutchfield or other larger retailers seem to have any.

Edit: I seem to have found the AM-40 from Pinpoint Mounts, looks to be the same thing.

Yes, that seems to be the exact same mount.  I don't know what happened to B-Tech.  The last time I looked, you could order direct from them.  But I can't seem to find their web site either.

- Jim

audiocrazy

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2010, 08:33 pm »
That seems to be the exact mount I'm using.
But I would suggest to have key hole on the back of the speakers to tie it securely to the mount. Mine feel off and got damaged so I had this done on my surrounds and they are more secure with the key hole.

sarge_in

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2010, 04:23 pm »
I am also trying to figure out the best height to put the speakers. Normally, they are ear level, but in most "mounted" configurations people seem to have them fairly high up.

I hope you mean ear level while standing, right?  I have read not to mount at sitting ear-level so as not to 'confuse' the sounds coming from fronts. I have had my rears in 7.1 mounted 2-2.5 feet above sitting ear level and they have worked very well there and I realized I would not have liked them if they were lower.

If you are going to do stuff with your wall, another option is to use in-wall (rectangular) or in-ceiling (circular) if you want a clean look.  Of course, that would preclude the Salks, as well as reduce future swaps if you are so inclined. For me, I decided the rears are nowhere as important so will be going for these to keep the family happy. YMMV..

floresjc

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2010, 08:02 pm »
Yes I meant standing up. I'll probably put them roughly 6 ft off the ground maybe higher.