Wireless Routers

bacobits1

Wireless Routers
« on: 4 May 2019, 03:53 pm »
What is everyone using?
Seems there are complaints on every router out there reviewed on Amazon comments.

galyons

Re: Wireless Routers
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2019, 04:05 pm »
House, apartment or condo? Size of house?  Single or two story? Construction type? Router location versus common access points?

Lots of info needed to do a good job on picking a well matching router.  IMO, most bad reviews of wireless routers are a result of purchases based on factless recommendations and/or ignorance.

Of course, YMMV!

cheers,
Geary

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2019, 08:15 pm »
Home routers are like boom boxes--by analogy they combine into one box the transport, amp, preamp, and speakers. I finally realized that all of the problems with my home network were due to trying to get hi-fi out of a boom box.

I switched a couple of months ago to separates: a gateway, a switch, and a dedicated wi-fi access point that I can locate where it needs to go rather than bundled with the router where the FiOS cable comes into the house.

I ended up with devices from Ubiquiti's Unifi range of networking equipment. My file transfer speeds to the NAS on the network have at least doubled. The stability and speed of WiFi from all points in the house has increased up to 10x (for my bedroom, for example, where my phone used to revert to its cell network data half the time). And download speed from my primary laptop went up 5x even though it was getting full signal previously (10 feet from the old router).

The router I replaced was an approximately $350 Netgear router with five antennas. I had it well configured and optimized. A boom box simply cannot produce hi fi.

As with any separates system, there is work involved to run cables, and I got a small rack to mount everything in. I also swapped out the fans in the gateway and switch to make them near silent. And I bought the little Linux-based controller box to run the system monitoring and configuration software 24/7 so I don't need to run it on a dedicated computer.

I would gladly do it again. Everything on the network now works smoothly and quickly, and the Unifi controller software lets me see all devices, the quality of service to them, the bandwidth being used, etc.

Hifi is much better than boom box. https://unifi-nanohd.ui.com

bacobits1

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2019, 01:00 am »
House is brick, 2260 sq ft, 2 floors.
Using a Linksys WRT1900 acs for the last 3 years, it's been fine except for some low reception areas upstairs few burps now and then.
I like the KISS principal as much as possible. We don't have fancy cameras or door bells, security systems etc. Maybe 3 laptops, 3 tablets 2 phones, and TV streaming , music streaming. So not heavy traffic.
 Service is 200 Mbps.

Coming in tomorrow I have a Eero mesh router. We'll see how that works out.
I'll comment about it later.

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2019, 01:40 am »
My 3 Eero's have been flawless. Set and forget.

bearman2

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2019, 01:44 am »
I use a netgear powerline and works well.

bacobits1

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2019, 05:18 pm »
The Eero's up and running in like 15 minutes. Super easy!
Flawless coverage to 240mbps DL. As TomS says "set and forget".
Don't need all the techie inner working of a web interface, the phone is fine.
We'll see if any problems develop.
Nice product, not cheap!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2019, 06:46 pm »
My 3 Eero's have been flawless. Set and forget.
This.  I have 6 and wouldn't do anything else. 

whell

« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2019, 01:14 am »
I use a netgear powerline and works well.

+1 for the power line networking solution.  Probably one of the more under the radar solutions out there, though decent wiring in your home is required.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2019, 06:13 am »
Netgear Nighthawk, 2 years without an issue, 1400 x 2 story house, router upstairs, plenty of range throughout the house including front and backyards.