Re: ***X-LS Extravaganza***
« Reply #100 on: 1 Apr 2020, 05:08 pm »
Some folks  felt it hear as well  man

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #101 on: 1 Apr 2020, 05:37 pm »
You've joined the club. I thought we had a lot of quakes when I was stationed in California but Oklahoma now has more. On the up side, most of them here are baby quakes. It's more of a queasy feeling in the pit of your stomach than anything else, though we did a big one a couple years back that I heard coming toward the house before it hit.

RonP

« Reply #102 on: 1 Apr 2020, 05:44 pm »

That means that the next couple of X-LS kits shipped will have the distinction of being cut during a rare Idaho earthquake. I imagine they should sound even better as a result...

https://thehill.com/changing-america/resilience/natural-disasters/490565-largest-earthquake-in-decades-strikes-idaho

Improved low end frequencies in these?  :lol:

Glad you're safe, Peter.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #103 on: 14 Apr 2020, 03:02 pm »
Yet more finishing adventures. I broke my own rules concerning testing first and thought y'all might like to see that. It's a long experiment, failure footage starts at 1:29 if that's of interest.

https://youtu.be/QwkxRktaji8

AlexH

« Reply #104 on: 14 Apr 2020, 07:40 pm »
Thanks for sharing Peter. I always love to see how others are doing things. I never really thought about using a spray bomb first and then top coating to get that ebonized oak look. My go to has always been Speedball india ink. Its as black as can be.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #105 on: 14 Apr 2020, 08:16 pm »
Thanks for sharing Peter. I always love to see how others are doing things. I never really thought about using a spray bomb first and then top coating to get that ebonized oak look. My go to has always been Speedball india ink. Its as black as can be.

Speedball is how I do it too. I buy it by the quart at an art supply store.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #106 on: 14 Apr 2020, 10:59 pm »

Had I known where I would end up, I would've chosen a different route. I took the long way 'round, for sure. In all honesty, it would have been easier to just bomb can the clear. I'm not sure who my audience is on this trip and I'm trying to keep to easy-to-apply finish methods.

I've used dye, but never ink. Does it play well with solvent finishes?

Listening-Leatherneck

« Reply #107 on: 15 Apr 2020, 02:17 am »
I "REALLY LOVE" the red snakeskin look it sets the speakers apart and makes them personal.

AlexH

« Reply #108 on: 15 Apr 2020, 11:09 am »
Speedball India Ink is water based. I have always used Target coatings water based products with it. Otherwise I would be spraying a coat of Seal Coat first and then an oil based product.

kmoser

« Reply #109 on: 15 Apr 2020, 04:04 pm »
 :D :D Liked the dowel brace socket idea.

Skilly

« Reply #110 on: 19 Apr 2020, 06:24 am »
I completed my Encore build today. Mine was slightly different from most you may have read about.

I started with a pair of old avast AV123 X-LS's. Cost was $50.00 plus $35 shipping. The speakers were in good physical condition with Grills in place. I gutted the speakers (saving the woofers) and removed the rag wool-like interior padding. The material was glued on liberally. It took a fair amount of time to scrape it clean. The Av123 X-LS box is well braced. There are four interior corner braces and two square cross braces. I Ordered the upgrade kits with sonic caps and mills resistors and no-Rez. The No-Rez was a full sheet and I used nearly all of it. The most challenging part was getting the no-Rez securely attached in the top and all around the port. Between the cross braces and the size of the existing holes, my big mitts were a tough fit. But with patience and fortitude I labored on. I did not put any on the bottom as I wanted a secure attachment for the cross-over. It is a pretty tight fit for the board width with the No-Rez in place. 

Since I already had the woofers, I saved a bit $ on the kits. I used the original Torx T15 screws on the drivers and post cup. I had to use a router to reshape the tweeter cut out. The old tweeter had the connects on the sides and the Encore tweeter, T26SG, has the connections on the bottom, so additional room was needed. Once that mod was made, the new tweeters fits exactly into the recess for the old tweeters.

On the crossover, I got some great guidance here from MLundy and some photos examples. His crossover was laid out differently from Danny's but I was able to work it out. I have to admit, It caused anxiety.  I used some project board from Menards ($3.50) that I cut down to size. I got a hot glue gun but ultimately decided not to use it. Rather than duratex, after cutting and drilling my boards I sealed the boards with Spray on Flex Seal. I Followed Danny's guide on how to attached them to the boards with Twist ties and then I soldered the connections. Smooth Sailing. I was nervous about the wiring and running out of Wire as one of the negative lines runs the length of the project, from source to Tweeter. I did not have much Black wire left over at all. I completely used all my shrink wrap and had to use some white on a positive line. I must have watched Danny's video #3 on the Klipsch upgrade four or five times for the cross over and wiring. The Klipsch circuit is different from the Encore but it is close enough that one gets a very good idea on how to wire and then solder all the connections. I found I need a third hand in the soldering process. Fortunately I have a helpful and patient daughter, who literally, lent a hand. Plugged them in with Banana plugs (just cant take the leap on the tube connectors) and slowly applied volume. Good sound from the start. I am looking forward to getting them broken in. I am not sure what to expect there. Tweeters and polycaps are what imagine will take some time.

So: special thanks to Danny for working with me over a fairly long time on getting me the kit. Thanks for Peter for demonstrating to me that I am not made to do wood working. Thanks to MLundy for guidance and photos. Thanks to my friend who loaned me his saw, router, and heat gun. I only burned my finger tips twice with the soldering iron. Fortunately, the house did not catch fire when I dropped it. Ideas I wish I had used: Ron B used a scrap piece of synthetic flooring for his crossover board. I like that because it is strong and fairly light weight. I wish I offered to pay Danny extra $ for a foot more of negative wiring.  I wish I had a better soldering iron. Good luck to anyone thinking about the kits. The experience was positive and the confidence it gives me is pleasing.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2020, 04:14 pm by Skilly »

uncola

« Reply #111 on: 19 Apr 2020, 02:12 pm »
got any pictures of the process?  or hte project board from menards?  always curious what people mount crossover components to.  did you make it removeable?

Captainhemo

« Reply #112 on: 19 Apr 2020, 04:11 pm »
That's kind of a cool , retrofit way of doing it   :thumb:
You  must have  got the  Encore tweeters with the   Classic tweeter flange/plate from Danny,  I used a pair of those  a few years back for some cabinets I had  done for a pair of  Classic XLS,  they  are handy  and make upgrading the   Clasic version  easy. '  .

Enjoy your  new speakers  !

jay

Skilly

« Reply #113 on: 19 Apr 2020, 04:36 pm »
project boards at www.midwestproducts.com
« Last Edit: 16 May 2020, 04:14 pm by Skilly »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #114 on: 19 Apr 2020, 04:44 pm »
got any pictures of the process?  or hte project board from menards?  always curious what people mount crossover components to.  did you make it removeable?

I usually use 3/8" Baltic or Finish Birch plywood for mine.

Captainhemo

« Reply #115 on: 21 Apr 2020, 04:07 pm »
3/8" Medex with a  1/4"-3/8"  layer of sorbathane  attached to  bottom  with  spray adhesive.  Works  great.

Paint the boards black or  roll out in Duratex, glue the  sorbathane on and trim with a razor. 
2nd pic , post  249
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=159096.240

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #116 on: 21 Apr 2020, 05:12 pm »
If the boards are going to be mounted on the speaker and seen like Jay's pic of the Super 7 crossover, I use 3/8" solid hardwood that complements the speaker.

kenneth815

« Reply #117 on: 29 Apr 2020, 02:09 am »
Hi everyone! I just wanted to say thank you so much to everyone here, I just finished building my pair of X-LS Encores this weekend. I really appreciate all the info and everyone sharing your build images. I was originally reading this thread out of curiosity, not thinking that I'd actually be able to build a pair since I had minimal woodworking skills. But after reading all the posts and seeing the fantastic builds, you guys were doing, it really encouraged me to take the plunge. Happy to report that I'm so glad that I did. Even though I really struggled with the gloss finish on the cabinets.

Thanks, Danny, for the kit and Peter for the flat pack. I don't think I would've attempted the build without the flatpack. I've had so much fun the last few weekends, it was a much-needed escape in the recent weeks. Been loving how they sound and been enjoying the music, and I'm still burning them in, I can't wait to see how they sound in a week.

Video recorded with my cellphone, they sound much better in person ;)
https://youtu.be/Fw_kGVn3pKc

uncola

« Reply #118 on: 29 Apr 2020, 02:11 am »
that gloss finish looks great to me.  Much nicer than rolled on duratex :)

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #119 on: 29 Apr 2020, 02:19 am »
People can't believe how good these speakers sound. Then when they get the chance to hear them, they really can't believe how good they sound. Gloss black can be a PITA but you did a great job with these.