James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Loving the new BDP-3!
« Reply #100 on: 5 Feb 2019, 11:57 pm »
James

Couple BDP-2 questions ...

Does Bryston have any new BDP-2 units left in stock ?

When did the IAD start being installed in the BDP-2 at the factory ?

Steven

Hi Steven

No sorry the BDP-2's are long gone.

The new IAD was just before the release of the BDP-3.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #101 on: 6 Feb 2019, 02:06 pm »
Sorry—should have mentioned platform.

iMac running OS Mojave 10.14.2

All the drives, etc. on my network appear as icons just as does the BDP-3 icon.

The difference is that when I click on, say, the icon for my Mac laptop, I have instant access to it, but when I click on the BDP-3 icon, I get that already-mentioned "connection failed" message.

Shortly after selecting the BDP there should be a "connect as" button that will ask for a username and password, the default for both is just "bryston" without quotes.

Chris

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
« Reply #102 on: 6 Feb 2019, 04:42 pm »
Chris,

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I don't get that button when I select BDP-3. That indeed is the problem!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #103 on: 6 Feb 2019, 08:36 pm »
Chris,

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I don't get that button when I select BDP-3. That indeed is the problem!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nprctm6bfmxzfg8/remote%20connect.mov?dl=0

gdbalp

« Reply #104 on: 6 Feb 2019, 10:00 pm »
Hi Chris,

Can the BDP-3 be used to send multi-channel audio signal (DVD-Audio/SACD files) through the HDMI or USB output ports to an AVR - like SP3?

Luigi

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #105 on: 7 Feb 2019, 09:34 pm »
We don't support it, but if we did the HDMI might be able do it as it should be part of the HDMI spec.  Currently there isn't support and as far as I am aware isn't possible as we would need to provide an alternative player to handling playback of the multi channel audio as MPD is purely two channel.

Chris

gdbalp

« Reply #106 on: 8 Feb 2019, 04:56 am »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply to my question for the multi-channel audio...

It would be a great feature, making the BDP-3 player an all in one music player... OPPO Blu-ray players can do this today, but I am sure BDP-3 would sound better with this feature....

Luigi 

gbaby

« Reply #107 on: 8 Feb 2019, 10:45 pm »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply to my question for the multi-channel audio...

It would be a great feature, making the BDP-3 player an all in one music player... OPPO Blu-ray players can do this today, but I am sure BDP-3 would sound better with this feature....

Luigi

However, the BDP will play DTS-CD in 5.1 DTS if you have DTS on your processor or receiver. I know because I have about 6 DTS-CD coming from the BDP-3 in 5.1. :o

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #108 on: 2 Apr 2019, 10:22 pm »
To Conclude:

We had great pleasure serving and listening to music with this wonderful Bryston BDP-3 streamer, and also discovering it, and decided to award it our

Bryston BDP-3 Qobuzissime Award

docder

« Reply #109 on: 4 Apr 2019, 01:01 pm »
It's good to see this positive report from Qobuz, and I'm looking forward to having Qobuz implemented on the BDP, in fact, I'm checking everyday for the update. Any news forthcoming on when this is likely to happen?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #110 on: 4 Apr 2019, 02:03 pm »
Aiming for a Friday release, but I may just release it as a test release Friday and wait for Monday for the official release

http://support.bryston.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=248

docder

« Reply #111 on: 5 Apr 2019, 03:12 pm »
Thanks, Chris, excellent. I'll run a beta update check later today here in the UK.

docder

« Reply #112 on: 7 Apr 2019, 11:39 am »
Hi Chris, new beta with Qobuz installed successfully on BDP-1. I have a large Qobuz library but it only took a few minutes to load up after signing in. First attempt to play a track gave stuttering playback but selecting the file again in the playlist sorted it out and we had a clean and relaxing file playing. Selecting another album led to a pause as it loaded, so not an immediate switch, but less than minute for a 24/44.1 file. Slower load, I guess, could be because of the limits of the BDP-1 processor? [It's time I upgraded to a BDP-3].
Anyway, fantastic to see Qobuz working within the Bryston MPD.
Will there eventually be a Qobuz selection in Applications as there is for Tidal?

D

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #113 on: 7 Apr 2019, 12:55 pm »
Hi Chris, new beta with Qobuz installed successfully on BDP-1. I have a large Qobuz library but it only took a few minutes to load up after signing in. First attempt to play a track gave stuttering playback but selecting the file again in the playlist sorted it out and we had a clean and relaxing file playing. Selecting another album led to a pause as it loaded, so not an immediate switch, but less than minute for a 24/44.1 file. Slower load, I guess, could be because of the limits of the BDP-1 processor? [It's time I upgraded to a BDP-3].
Anyway, fantastic to see Qobuz working within the Bryston MPD.
Will there eventually be a Qobuz selection in Applications as there is for Tidal?

D

I'll do some more testing when I get home, I do recall the BDP-1 did struggle a bit, but I remember it playing fine; however it may require the resolution to be limited.  We are abandoning the separate app concept and trying the integrate everything into media player.  If you have a request or suggestion you'd like to see we are certainly open to it, but please keep the aforementioned in mind.

Chris

docder

« Reply #114 on: 7 Apr 2019, 09:05 pm »
Well, I would say it has been a good day with Qobuz in MPD on the BDP-1. Even 24/96 files are playing cleanly and freely, with sometimes a little struggle of a stutter/wobble as a track kicks in.  Sounds superb. I am happy with Qobuz being in the MPD selection list if it works like it has today. I am playing BDP-1, from my Qobuz Favourite albums, via USB out to Chord Hugo M Scaler/TT2 DAC into Naim amps. I will be giving this set- up a lot of further attention this week.
Thanks Chris, a great start.

D

docder

« Reply #115 on: 9 Apr 2019, 10:03 am »
Hi Chris,

I note in the email Gary has sent out that it says there is a 16/48 limit on Qobuz with the BDP-1.
Is the limit built in to the 04/08/019 firmware release or is it more a recommendation for full play facility for the user to restrict. I still have the beta update running and it is coping well enough with higher resolution files for me to stay with it rather than be limited.
Either way, I have BDP-3 demo scheduled ...

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #116 on: 9 Apr 2019, 01:45 pm »
The current stable release caps BDP-1's at 16bit, i played around with it briefly yesterday and it seemed to crash shortly after playing a 24bit file.  I also didn't have a scratch drive set on the unit, maybe this is the difference between my testing and yours?  I may lift the limitation and alternatively prompt BDP-1 users of possible instability issues rather then preventing 24bit material all together.

Chris
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2019, 04:19 pm by unincognito »

docder

« Reply #117 on: 9 Apr 2019, 07:34 pm »
Thanks, Chris. a few days ago I had set up a fresh scratch disc so maybe that helped my BDP-1 cope with the larger files. Last night, once an album was underway I did not have any significant playing faults with 24/96 files, maybe once or twice I had a bit of a pause when I switched albums or jumped songs.
Anyway, I had the BDP-3 demo today and I now own the latest BDP rather than one of the earliest produced. So onward with Qobuz.
BTW, what is the difference between the Qobuz 24 bit and Studio options? I have a Sublime subscription here in Europe which I believe is Studio + downloads. So I guess I ought to select Studio as the MDP quality option?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #118 on: 9 Apr 2019, 07:52 pm »
Thanks, Chris. a few days ago I had set up a fresh scratch disc so maybe that helped my BDP-1 cope with the larger files. Last night, once an album was underway I did not have any significant playing faults with 24/96 files, maybe once or twice I had a bit of a pause when I switched albums or jumped songs.
Anyway, I had the BDP-3 demo today and I now own the latest BDP rather than one of the earliest produced. So onward with Qobuz.
BTW, what is the difference between the Qobuz 24 bit and Studio options? I have a Sublime subscription here in Europe which I believe is Studio + downloads. So I guess I ought to select Studio as the MDP quality option?

The 24bit option maxes out at 96khz where as studio can go all the way up to 192khz.

docder

« Reply #119 on: 10 Apr 2019, 11:28 pm »
Is there a link to instructions on how to fit an internal drive to the BDP-3?