Music Library System??

MarkDavis

Music Library System??
« on: 22 Jul 2018, 04:45 pm »
Hello, everyone!  I consider myself new, but I have gotten terrific help here once before.  My thanks again to those that gave me advice.  I used it and enjoy my multi-room music.

I have collected my music into a hard drive, but don't know a best system to use.  I have >10k songs and almost 400Gb of music stored.  This is mostly FLAC with some MP3.  I have filed it alphabetically by artist.  I think I want a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device and a system to make it play.  I have 2 A/V receiver based stereos at my home.  One is a 5-year old Pioneer VSX-1023k and the other is a 1-year old Yamaha RX-A3060; both have network connections.  I have Ethernet available to be wired to both.

I have a close friend that uses a Squeezebox Touch, but I'm a bit afraid of using technology that is out of manufacturing.  I have heard of MediaMonkey, MusicBee and Roon, but I ask for advice!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Music Library System??
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2018, 05:03 pm »
Hi Mark,

I'm gonna' move this over to the Discless Circle. You'll have better exposure and responses there.  :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

zoom25

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2018, 05:06 pm »
I've used Audirvana Plus, Amarra, iTunes, Clementine, and Foobar. Roon is simply the best for me by a long shot.  :thumb:

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king

MarkDavis

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2018, 05:44 pm »
Hi Mark,

I'm gonna' move this over to the Discless Circle. You'll have better exposure and responses there.  :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry
Thanks, Jerry.  Appreciated.

skunark

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2018, 05:52 pm »
Roon is heavy on resources and they recommend  a SSD to store their management database, so that eliminates most NAS.  I gave Roon a trail and it had occasional playback issues, poor integration with tidal (cant update playlists), the interface is great and sound quality seemed okay.   If you are interested try it out on a strong computer brfore buying a NAS, they have recommended hardware and its advise inwould follow.

I also tried plesk on my NAS, i dont remember all the reasons it annoyed me, but its been so long since ive used it my opinions on it would be outdated.  Most NAS supportd DLNA, but thats always been a horrible interface, so probably a non starter. 

I currently use a Bryston BDP-1 with a  2 TB HDD attached for my main system that automatically syncs with a linux computer that does all of the ripping.   I have a swarm of raspberry pi 3 attached to the other stereos that all point to a NAS and like the BDP i can control with the same app or airplay/Bluetooth audio to them. 

There are lots of choices out there and most habe great sound quality and you can be picky about the user interface. 

artur9

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2018, 06:25 pm »
I use Linn Kazoo for the UI and a configured MinimServer to organize the music.  Keeping everything tagged to be useful to me is a pain!

MarkDavis

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2018, 03:00 pm »
My thanks for all the input !!!

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2018, 07:54 am »

both have network connections.

Very likely  they are DLNA enabled.
Assuming you have Windows, Win is a certified DLNA server.
Both receivers should be able to see it over the network.
This allows you to fool around a little with streaming.
Windows Media player can play to a DLNA renderer.
There are aps like BubbleUPnP to use a android phone as a control point.
The receiver probably have an interface too.

If you like DLNA, you can consider a NAS.
Products by QNAP or Synology act as a DLNA server.