Coming: New Top of the Line VPI - - Direct Drive Table

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Coming: New Top of the Line VPI - - Direct Drive Table
« Reply #40 on: 29 Mar 2013, 03:50 pm »
Well, if this is VPI's TOTL table, is isn't likely to impact many folks here.  For those fortunate enough to have a hundred grand to put into their system, maybe a $15-20K TT makes sense.  Too rarified air for me, so I'll stick with my ancient SP-10 MKII- even though it is only a DD.

tnewell

« Reply #41 on: 29 Mar 2013, 05:10 pm »
I am very happy with my Super Scoutmaster Rim Drive, but that new Armwand has me excited.

Did they give any hint of the price on that Armwand or whether they would be offering for JMW 9?

Tom

Syrah

« Reply #42 on: 29 Mar 2013, 10:17 pm »
Me too.  A platter and arm upgrade option could be fun for my Classic, if the price/performance is worth it.

topround

« Reply #43 on: 29 Mar 2013, 10:53 pm »
Don't know how much of an improvement the ceramic platter is over the standard platter, but the new arm is a  no brainer
HUGE improvement, you could spend 10K on a Atlas cartridge and not get this improvement. Like putting a Ferrari engine in a Chevy Malibu, it still wont win the race.
If you put a Triplanar or Graham arm on a VPI you would get a big improvement over the standard arm, but this new palstic arm closes the gap alot. Is this new arm better than a Graham or triplanar or (insert your favorite arm here_______) that is a good question? I am sure it will be borne out with reviews and users.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #44 on: 2 Apr 2013, 07:11 pm »
Looks like Harry is doing a little promo work over at Asylum.  The new table Vanquish will be around $25K.  I'm not sure but I think that includes a 3D arm.

IMO, he does more harm than good with his sophomoric posts.  VPI would be better off if he kept off the forums.  He seems to have a knack for overstatement and it's not exactly dignified advertising.  Anyway, apparently the arms will be available as replacements for VPI arms, and probably available separately.

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=vinyl&m=1045745

neo

BobM

« Reply #45 on: 2 Apr 2013, 08:24 pm »
Don't know how much of an improvement the ceramic platter is over the standard platter,

Well I will let you know my subjective impressions of the new ceramic platter over the old black MKIII platter in a little while. Being delivered today. Obviously I won;t be able to do a direct A-B, but I know you will all trust my ears and sonic memory.  :lol:

orthobiz

« Reply #46 on: 2 Apr 2013, 08:59 pm »
Does the 3D arm have a metal bearing cup inserted?

Paul

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #47 on: 3 Apr 2013, 12:48 am »
Does the 3D arm have a metal bearing cup inserted?

Paul

"It will drop on any Tonearm we have ever made with a possible change of bearing point needed on older models. It will be available in 9, 10 and 12 inch lengths."

This package is a lot of money, but it's all relative.  Look at the price of some other high end tables and arms, this looks like a bargain.  We were just mentioning arms $6K and up.  The arm will be available separately on existing bearing assemblies or retrofit on a Classic arm or 12.7 etc.  At least that's the impression I get.
I suspect Harry and VPI have another winner in both arm and table.

I don't know anything about VPI expansion plans or the limits in high end record player sales.  These days, you never know about the economy and international finance.  The great recession of '08 was felt worldwide.  Here's hoping we're not in for round 2, and VPI becomes the preeminent mfg, not just another high end record player company.  Look at the recent track record, first the Classic, then Traveller and now Vanquish and the 3D arm.  Way to go Harry. 
neo

TheChairGuy

« Reply #48 on: 3 Apr 2013, 03:01 am »
Well I will let you know my subjective impressions of the new ceramic platter over the old black MKIII platter in a little while. Being delivered today. Obviously I won;t be able to do a direct A-B, but I know you will all trust my ears and sonic memory.  :lol:

We expect a full report, Bob  :rules:

If I may ask....what's the list price for those of us that may want to upgrade? (tho, of the two,  the 3D arm more to my liking as a next upgrade to my Classic)

BobM

« Reply #49 on: 3 Apr 2013, 01:05 pm »
The list on the platter will be $900, I was told.

So I installed it last night and ran into a bit of a problem. The threading on the bearing ended too short for me to thread it onto my plinth, so off to Ace Hardware to buy a box of big (need a 1" hole in the middle) metal washers to fill the gap. Slid those on the bottom of the bearing and threaded the nut to hold it tight. This is a good thing - added mass to the bottom of the bearing, even though it is an inverted bearing now. Put the platter on, adjusted the VTA up an inch (yes, I measured and marked the tonearm angle on the old platter and reset it on the new one to be sure I got things at least close), and let it spin.

Nope, my silk thread is too short to fit the bigger platter, so off to tie another string to fit, then some obvious speed variation, so out comes the digital speed meter and a little adjustment to my Mark Kelly speed controller. OK 33.4 is good. Nope, a little VTA adjustment still needed. Ahhh, much better.

So, just a side of Basie to test this out. No in your face obvious changes, but after a side I definitely hear more speed stability, as you would expect from a heavier platter. Yes, there's also more detail, or perhaps less background noise so things seem clearer. Out comes a female vocal album. Yeah, quieter and more speed stability overall, leading to more spaciousness. An improvement of exactly the kind you would expect.

But I have no idea how this would improve on the original aluminum platter, since it's effectively the same but with a ceramic coating to help dampen things. One thing I can say is that I tried it with the one piece delrin clamp and had some dishing up of the record edge, so on went the washer and clamp but it still dished, so off came both and the record sits flat and played fine indeed. Have other Classic owners found the clamp helpful or not? With or without the washer? Harry was playing records without either at VPI, just on the platter without a mat.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #50 on: 3 Apr 2013, 01:53 pm »
The future looks good for VPI. Coming off their best year yet. Matt will be more involved this year. Great products and best of all great people and company.
     Bob you are correct no clamp used during demo. Wonder why. The SDS sped controller is a must audition as well. It would be interesting to compare to yours. Conditions the power and regulates speed.

charles

BobM

« Reply #51 on: 3 Apr 2013, 03:59 pm »
Mine does the same, but also uses 12v DC as initial power, then produces a 1/4 sine wave in the digital domain and replicates it 3 more times and inverts appropriately to make a complete sine wave, then converts back to AC where you can also adjust for phase and amplifies it to the correct AC voltage. The SDS does not adjust for AC phase, instead using the phase inversion cap in the motor to approximate phase.

SteveRB

« Reply #52 on: 3 Apr 2013, 05:00 pm »
Classic owners found the clamp helpful or not? With or without the washer? Harry was playing records without either at VPI, just on the platter without a mat.

I have stopped using the washer all together. It requires way to much torque to get the record flat on the platter. I have even cracked one record with it. Some one recently recommended finding a large rubber washer to use instead... I may try that. I use the screw on clamp all the time, just a little snug. But results have varied. I does very little to flatten records. but if it's too tight, it certainly will dish up the outside edge.

All hat being said, I was thinking of trying out the cork mat for a while.

One day I will spring for a steel clamp and ring clamp.

Sonny

« Reply #53 on: 3 Apr 2013, 06:00 pm »
The list on the platter will be $900, I was told.

So I installed it last night and ran into a bit of a problem. The threading on the bearing ended too short for me to thread it onto my plinth, so off to Ace Hardware to buy a box of big (need a 1" hole in the

post a pic please Bob of the new platter bearing and platter.

BobM

« Reply #54 on: 3 Apr 2013, 06:33 pm »
Just picture the regular Classic platter and bearing, but with a slightly duller silver finish on the platter instead of polished aluminum.

Sonny

« Reply #55 on: 3 Apr 2013, 06:35 pm »
Just picture the regular Classic platter and bearing, but with a slightly duller silver finish on the platter instead of polished aluminum.

So, you're telling me that we can upgrade from the current bearing to the ceramic bearing?  And this is how much?

BobM

« Reply #56 on: 3 Apr 2013, 07:40 pm »
Sorry, I think you misunderstood. It's a new ceramic platter. Same bearing as the classic - no change.

Although looking at the ball in the inverted bearing I think it looks easy enough to remove (maybe with a strong magnet) and replace with a precision ground ceramic ball. I bet that would be a definite improvement. Anyone know the exact dimension of that metal ball bearing?

Sonny

« Reply #57 on: 3 Apr 2013, 08:49 pm »
Sorry, I think you misunderstood. It's a new ceramic platter. Same bearing as the classic - no change.

Although looking at the ball in the inverted bearing I think it looks easy enough to remove (maybe with a strong magnet) and replace with a precision ground ceramic ball. I bet that would be a definite improvement. Anyone know the exact dimension of that metal ball bearing?

Ah, so, the platter is ceramic, that's it...how much does it weigh and it is all ceramic or it's just a ceramic coat?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #58 on: 3 Apr 2013, 08:55 pm »
So, you're telling me that we can upgrade from the current bearing to the ceramic bearing?  And this is how much?
Ceramic bearings are cheap.  I picked up a couple direct from China for an old radio station broadcast TT for less than $20 shipping included. All metric sizes are availble and most English.

ptmconsulting

« Reply #59 on: 3 Apr 2013, 10:32 pm »
Ah, so, the platter is ceramic, that's it...how much does it weigh and it is all ceramic or it's just a ceramic coat?

Ceramic coating on the Classic aluminum platter. Basically as a vibration and resonance reducer, per Harry. He said something about using a similar process as the arm to coat it, but didn't elaborate (and personally I don't think that makes sense since it's ceramic coated and not "plastic" coated).