Considering Omega Speakers

EthanH

« on: 7 Jan 2006, 06:44 pm »
Hello everyone, I'm new to audio and am considering upgrading my current speakers.  I have B&W 602s2 monitors, and although they were a nice intro I now want something better.  I intend to use the B&W's for HT where I think they will be excellent.
I have a Cayin TA-30 integrated amplifier modified by Paul at Bizzy Bee, and am basically looking for a speaker that will provide the qualities that the B&W's were lacking:  ideally, I'd like as big and deep a soundstage as possible; highs that can sparkle a bit without becoming incongruous with the rest of the music; excellent vocal and acoustic reproduction; and bass that is not necessarily insane but is good for what is there and natural sounding (I'm not opposed to using a sub).  It would also be nice to get all of this and still be able to play somewhat complex music like David Bowie or what have you.
Some speakers I've been looking at include the Totem Arros and Green Mountain Audio Europas.  Has anyone heard or compared the Omega line to either of these choices?  Out of the Omegas I've seen the Super 3 and the bipoles both seem pretty promising, but I may be overlooking some other model.  Also, is anyone with a PP integrated similar to my Cayin  using Omegas for Dylan, Van Morrisson, Blues, etc?  
Any opinions would be great, and sorry for the rambling and somewhat stupid tone of my post   :D

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2006, 07:59 pm »
Welcome EthanH, great to have you here. Your comments were neither rambling nor stupid. As I don't have any experience with the specifics of your situation, I can tell you that you should give Louis a call after CES. I'm sure he can advise you of any Omega owners in your area who might be amenable to auditioning their speakers. Or if you could afford the time and expense of a trip, a pilgrimage  to the factory in CT. I'm sure all your questions would be answered as well as your ears filled with the sounds of the Omega experience.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2006, 10:12 pm »
Ethan,

What's your budget?  How much room (free air) will you have around the speakers?  The BPC and A8 speakers take up the most space.  Keep in mind that Louis offers floorstanders too.  The BPC is a different beast than the rest, replacing pin-point imaging with, to me, a more natural presentation.

The TS1 and TS2 provide a warmer presentation while any of the 3 series seem faster and would integrate better with a sub.  I've not heard the hemps or B200 drivers.

IMO great speakers must start with good drivers.  The A8's are probably his best speakers and use the (by all accounts, excellent) Visaton B200 drivers.  Louis works magic with the Fostex FE127E driver in the 3 series, but keep in mind it's only a $37 driver.

Louis is a prince to deal with and does great work.

EthanH

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2006, 01:52 am »
Thanks for the replies.  The room I intend to put them in is medium to small sized, approximately 12' x 17' or so.  The speakers can be placed up to three feet from the rear wall, and would probably be spaced about seven feet apart, with an open hallway to the left.  I live in an apartment so I'll be listening at low to moderate levels most of the time, and a big sweetspot is a big plus.  As far as the budget is concerned, if I could get away with spending <1000 I'd be ecstatic, but I'm willing to spend a few hundred more if it means getting something I won't feel the need to upgrade for at least a year or two :lol:

Brad

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2006, 05:13 am »
Ethan,

I have the A8's driven by a push-pull amp and they sound excellent.  I previously owned a pair of the Super 3's - and the A8s are a huge step up in my current room.   Your Cayin has even more power than my Scott, which should be a good thing - the A8's can handle it - even with their high sensitivity.   They sound good at low volume, too  

Classic rock, blues, and jazz (even some metal) has sounded great on the A8's - I opened up a couple of sealed Stevie Ray Vaughan LPs on 180 gram vinyl last weekend - WOW!   I love the A8's.  

The only thing I might change is getting the teak finish instead of the Parisian red maple.

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2006, 01:40 am »
Hi EthanH,

Welcome and sorry about the delay in posting, CES got in the way.

Reading your posts I got a great idea about what would best work for you and many thanks for everyone’s posts. We are definitely on the right track and Brad's A8 suggestion is excellent. Another way to go at $850 is the XRS. I think these would be great too. No worries at all about power with the Cayin.

If you like to call I would be more than happy to help out.

Many thanks,
Louis