I bet I can make your speakers sound better.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: I bet I can make your speakers sound better.
« Reply #120 on: 6 Feb 2018, 03:42 am »
I found this comparison to be enlightening and well worth my time. Even though I know parts quality can have a performance difference in many things, bicycles, wheels, kayaks, paddles, etc. This was the first time I was able to listen to speakers where the only difference was quality of the crossover parts. Now my opinion is informed by my own experience and I don't have to rely on other people's opinions.

Give it a try.

Mike

neekomax

« Reply #121 on: 6 Feb 2018, 03:46 am »
I found this comparison to be enlightening and well worth my time. Even though I know parts quality can have a performance difference in many things, bicycles, wheels, kayaks, paddles, etc. This was the first time I was able to listen to speakers where the only difference was quality of the crossover parts. Now my opinion is informed by my own experience and I don't have to rely on other people's opinions.

Give it a try.

Mike

I'd be right pleased to do so.  :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #122 on: 6 Feb 2018, 04:13 pm »
Hmm, well, I don't know if I qualify as a 'flat-earther', but I certainly have my doubts about whether unmeasured/ unmeasurable things can be audible, and therefore a difference-making factor in audio gear. Is there a third camp between the true believers and flat earthers... say, the unwashed agnostics?

I tend to throw that term around loosely and some take it as a poke in the eye. But the guys that really fit the term are the guys that let preconceived beliefs get in the way of learning or listening.

And it is okay to have doubts. It is okay to be skeptic. Just don't let that get in the way of listening. Keep an open mind. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #123 on: 9 Mar 2018, 08:24 am »
My gut feeling is these might have some potential, but they come with some challenges...

They are quite small so the bass is limited to 120 Hz or so. That was easy to take care of.

Even though they are spec'd up to 20 KHz, they could really benefit from the addition of a tweeter;
however that would involve a crossover, and there's not a lot of room for either one of those things.

Each speakers contains two 2" BMR drivers. If I am not mistaken, the lower one I believe
operates between 120 ~ 150 Hz while the upper driver handles everything above 150 Hz. 

Might not be very practical or cost effective, but who knows? :lol:  Thoughts??

Wind Chaser

« Reply #124 on: 9 Mar 2018, 08:30 am »
No project is too big.

Great picture! :lol:

Danny Richie

« Reply #125 on: 9 Mar 2018, 04:13 pm »
My gut feeling is these might have some potential, but they come with some challenges...

They are quite small so the bass is limited to 120 Hz or so. That was easy to take care of.

Even though they are spec'd up to 20 KHz, they could really benefit from the addition of a tweeter;
however that would involve a crossover, and there's not a lot of room for either one of those things.

Each speakers contains two 2" BMR drivers. If I am not mistaken, the lower one I believe
operates between 120 ~ 150 Hz while the upper driver handles everything above 150 Hz. 

Might not be very practical or cost effective, but who knows? :lol:  Thoughts??

You can always send them over to me and I can measure and test them to see what there is to work with.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #126 on: 9 Mar 2018, 11:36 pm »
Danny, I’ll try to get them boxed up and out the door next week. They will be coming from Canada, so I’ll have to look into the bureaucratic procedure of doing this the right way so neither of us gets dinged for customs or tax upon delivery.

This address... 910 N. Jackson, Iowa Park, Texas 76367 USA ...is up to date?

John

Danny Richie

« Reply #127 on: 10 Mar 2018, 12:47 am »
Danny, I’ll try to get them boxed up and out the door next week. They will be coming from Canada, so I’ll have to look into the bureaucratic procedure of doing this the right way so neither of us gets dinged for customs or tax upon delivery.

This address... 910 N. Jackson, Iowa Park, Texas 76367 USA ...is up to date?

John

I can still receive shipments at that location.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #128 on: 10 Mar 2018, 01:46 am »
According to your website’s contact info, that’s your address. :wink:

http://gr-research.com/contact-us.aspx

If however you have a more upto date address, I would prefer to use that.

Danny Richie

« Reply #129 on: 10 Mar 2018, 03:11 am »
That one is still fine for receiving. I am still working out of that office for a little while longer. I have a much larger office and shop that I am still moving into, but I am just not all moved in yet.

fdjslkgh

« Reply #130 on: 7 Sep 2018, 02:06 pm »
Danny, I've got some Rega Kytes on the way that seem to benefit from some mass damping of the enclosure. They're loosely filled already, if I install No-Rez on the sides, should I just leave the wool as-is?

Thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #131 on: 7 Sep 2018, 03:49 pm »
Danny, I've got some Rega Kytes on the way that seem to benefit from some mass damping of the enclosure. They're loosely filled already, if I install No-Rez on the sides, should I just leave the wool as-is?

Thanks

It depends on the size of the speaker. Most of the time you can place the factory damping back in after lining it with No Rez for best results.

synergy1

« Reply #132 on: 8 Jan 2019, 02:04 pm »
Regular banana's will fit into the the receptacle on speaker with your binding posts right? I'd ruin my speaker cables should I cut off the factory banana, (ruin for resale that is.) I have rather pricey cables that is.

synergy1

« Reply #133 on: 8 Jan 2019, 02:09 pm »
does the speaker cabinet build need to be sized Bigger to accommodate  No Rez? If the factory insulation is put back on top the inner volume would appear by eye to reduced by the 1" no Rez and 1.5 inches of insulation. how's that work?

Danny Richie

« Reply #134 on: 8 Jan 2019, 05:42 pm »
Regular banana's will fit into the the receptacle on speaker with your binding posts right? I'd ruin my speaker cables should I cut off the factory banana, (ruin for resale that is.) I have rather pricey cables that is.

Banana's fit fit right into the tube connectors, but it will not sound as good.

I don't think swapping out the ends of your cables will alter the resale value. Ends can be swapped on and off without issue. And you are upgrading the cables to work best with tube connectors. So some might consider that to be worth more.

Danny Richie

« Reply #135 on: 8 Jan 2019, 05:44 pm »
does the speaker cabinet build need to be sized Bigger to accommodate  No Rez? If the factory insulation is put back on top the inner volume would appear by eye to reduced by the 1" no Rez and 1.5 inches of insulation. how's that work?

No, the No Rez will not alter the volume of the cabinet. While the barrier layer does take up air space, the foam layer slows down the flow of air in the box making it act as a lager box. So the end effect is close to a wash.

And you can still add back in some of the original insulation to further tune or tweak how it sounds.

artur9

« Reply #136 on: 9 Jan 2019, 12:21 am »
I am curious as to whether you managed to improved the CA Minx mentioned above?  And to what effect on the sound?

Danny Richie

« Reply #137 on: 9 Jan 2019, 01:52 am »
I am curious as to whether you managed to improved the CA Minx mentioned above?  And to what effect on the sound?

It would be really hard to say as to what could really be done with them. There is not much there to work with. And for not much money we already offer a really high quality small speaker design like that.

http://gr-research.com/lgk10kit.aspx

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #138 on: 9 Jan 2019, 02:08 am »
It would be really hard to say as to what could really be done with them. There is not much there to work with. And for not much money we already offer a really high quality small speaker design like that.

http://gr-research.com/lgk10kit.aspx

I can attest to the quality of these little speakers. In addition to having a pair of them myself, I have shown them at the Lone Star Audio Fest for three years. Everyone who heard them were blown away by their performance.

Mike

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #139 on: 2 Apr 2019, 07:05 pm »
Yes, standard banana plugs are the same size.

But you do loose quality passing the signal through the tip of the banana plug.

The male stud for the tube connectors is completely hollow. So your speaker wire slides all the way through to the end of it. This is three 16 gauge wires spiral wound. I think it equals almost 11 gauge.

Then just crimp the end, solder it and heat shrink it to seal it.

If you use the banana plug it puts your speaker cable a long way from the internal wire. And it puts a lot of material in the signal path that is not an ideal carrier for the signal.

There is clearly a difference in clarity if you use the male studs.

What is the contact resistance of this versus a normal binding post and banana plug connection?