New HT1-TL design to be launched at RMAF

jsalk

New HT1-TL design to be launched at RMAF
« on: 27 Sep 2009, 02:10 am »
Based on the success of the HT2-TL's, we decided to re-visit an HT1 version of the same speaker.

We just finished work on this new design and will be showing it for the first time at Rocky Mountain Audiofest.  We'll then be taking it on the road to the Oregon GTG.

Here are some pics...

And a close-up...

This pair was done in genuine Brazilian rosewood and they sound as great as they look.

- Jim

MaxCast

Re: New HT1-TL design to be launched at RMAF
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2009, 02:48 am »
Looks great as usual Jim.
What is the cost of these puppies and why not the G2 tweet?

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2009, 03:35 am »
Great work, Jim.  Gorgeous as always!

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2009, 04:24 am »
Very nice, Jim and Dennis (et al).

Looking forward to learning more about this speaker.

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2009, 07:12 am »
Hi Jim,

How does the new updated tl version of the ht1 compare with the ht2 (non tl) speaker?  I presume pretty similiar except that the ht2 would be a little more efficient?

You and dennis continue to push the boundaries  :icon_lol:.

Regards

Rod

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2009, 03:38 pm »
Hi Jim,

How does the new updated tl version of the ht1 compare with the ht2 (non tl) speaker?  I presume pretty similiar except that the ht2 would be a little more efficient?

You and dennis continue to push the boundaries  :icon_lol:.

Regards

Rod

I'm sure Jim pushed the quality-of-finish boundaries, and Paul Kittinger pushed the single-driver TL boundaries, but I just adapted the regular HT1 crossover to the different cabinet and sensitivity specs.  I haven't compared the HT1 and HT2 TL's in stereo, because I didn't have enough drivers.  The main difference is sensitivity--the HT1 uses the least sensitive version of the Seas W18, and there's only one.  So it's a little less sensitive than the regular HT1, and a good deal less sensitive than the MTM HT2.  There's no way around that if you're trying to maximize bass reach with one 7" driver.  MTM's and TM's always have a slightly different sound due to their different radiation patterns, but it's hard to put into words, and probably not enough to influence a purchase decision one way or another. I'll be very interested to compare the HT1 TL with the STRT at Denver.  I imagine they won't be priced all that far apart, so a lot of people might be shopping between the two 
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2009, 07:01 pm by DMurphy »

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2009, 04:29 pm »
What is the sensitivity and impedance of the new HT1s, Dennis.

I plan on running our new Ultravalve tube amps (30 watts but sounds like 100) as much as possible, (bridged on the big speakers).

Regards,

Frank

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2009, 04:58 pm »
The HT-1 impedance is at or above 7 ohms up to about 2 kHz.  Then it dips down between 2k and 4k, going a little below 4 ohms.  I don't know whether that would be a problem for your tubies.  The HT-1 sensitivity is quite low--we're getting down into HT3 territory.  I would certainly prefer that you throw more watts at them than even your bridged tube model can provide.  The HT4 can also use as many watts as possible, but they're significantly more sensitive than the HT1.
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2009, 07:02 pm by DMurphy »

jackass

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2009, 06:12 pm »
Jim,

What else is in store for RMAF?

Chris

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2009, 05:36 am »
Jim,

What else is in store for RMAF?

Chris

+1 ....What other speaker's will you be making the trip to RMAF this year Jim ? Thanks :thumb:

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2009, 11:56 am »
Every year we bring more speakers than I would like.  I guess this year will be no exception.

As mentioned above, we will be bringing the new HT1-TL's.  In addition, we will be bringing our "HT4" prototypes, SongTower "RT's" and perhaps a pair of red HT2-TL's.

- Jim

fsimms

« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2009, 12:29 pm »
In addition, we will be bringing our "HT4" prototypes

If I knew that before, I would have made plane reservations.  :peek:

Bob

jackass

« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2009, 12:44 pm »
Every year we bring more speakers than I would like.  I guess this year will be no exception.

As mentioned above, we will be bringing the new HT1-TL's.  In addition, we will be bringing our "HT4" prototypes, SongTower "RT's" and perhaps a pair of red HT2-TL's.

- Jim

Thanks for the info Jim.  Have you recieved an acceptable driver for the "HT4"? Bringing a 10" version to the show?

Chris

jsalk

« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2009, 02:28 pm »
Thanks for the info Jim.  Have you recieved an acceptable driver for the "HT4"? Bringing a 10" version to the show?

Chris

We will be bringing our 12" prototypes with the original drivers.  We will be meeting with FAL at the show to get an update.  I expect we will see drivers that pass our tests very shortly, but not for this show.

- Jim

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2009, 02:42 pm »
Hi Jim,

I will have some new interesting electronics to drive your speakers at RMAF I think you will be happy with.  Please bring your own Ultra electronics as backups as usual.

Looking forward to an outstanding sounding show.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2009, 03:20 pm »

- Jim
Thanks Jim.... :beer:

Mudslide

« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2009, 03:53 pm »
These are over-the-top in coolness, Jim.   :drool:  You're going to get me fired by my Finance Minister. 

See you in a couple of weeks!

Based on the success of the HT2-TL's, we decided to re-visit an HT1 version of the same speaker.

We just finished work on this new design and will be showing it for the first time at Rocky Mountain Audiofest.  We'll then be taking it on the road to the Oregon GTG.

Here are some pics...

And a close-up...

This pair was done in genuine Brazilian rosewood and they sound as great as they look.

- Jim

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2009, 09:38 pm »
beautiful speakers Jim!!!!

or those the Lcy 110 or the 130's?

jsalk

« Reply #18 on: 28 Sep 2009, 09:41 pm »
beautiful speakers Jim!!!!

or those the Lcy 110 or the 130's?

They are 110's.  We played with a few LCY tweeters, including some OEM versions, and those seemed to perform the best over all.

- Jim

rlee8394

« Reply #19 on: 21 Oct 2009, 06:17 pm »
Jim,

Any more info available on these speakers?? Will they be added to the website soon?

Ron