James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready
« on: 28 Jun 2016, 04:14 pm »
Bryston S2.28 Firmware Update offers Roon Ready Capability for Digital Music

Players BDP-1, BDP-1USB and BDP-2

Elegant music library management and TIDAL integration enhances user experience for award winning Bryston digital music players

Bryston (bryston.com) has announced new firmware version S2.28 for their digital music players that delivers Roon Ready capability. Roon Labs has created a software solution that delivers the ultimate user experience by merging Bryston’s exceptional BDP digital playback hardware with an intuitive, graphically rich music library management and playback software. Users get the superb sound of Bryston digital players with a highly refined user interface.

Tech Talk:
When using Roon, there are three components involved: The Roon Core, which must exist within a computer (PC or MAC) or a compatible drive on the home network so that it can have local access to your digital music collection, a remote or user interface (iOS or Android device as well as any computer) also on the network, and an end point—which in this case would be any Bryston digital music player. Adapting the Bryston BDP music players so that they are now Roon Ready devices enables users to benefit from the remarkable sound quality of Bryston's BDP-1, BDP-1USB and BDP-2 players with a bright, colorful and intuitive user interface that provides new features and accessibility to the listening experience. Roon transfers the audio files to the Bryston BDP player using a bit perfect system, enabling Bryston’s ultra-precise clock, linear power supply and custom integrated audio device (IAD) to convert ,the content to a digital bitstream that is ready for an outboard DAC.

Another advantage of the Roon interface is their unique approach to TIDAL lossless streaming integration for subscribers. Now BDP users can have their TIDAL favorites aggregated with their local\ music library so that searches and playlists can include content from both sources. With a simple firmware update, all BDP-1, BDP-1USB and BDP-2 devices become Roon Ready. Use the

Update Firmware function in Settings to update to the new version S2.28 firmware. Bryston is offering a free 60-day Roon trial coupon for a limited time. Interested users can learn more at roonlabs.com.

vcwatkins

Re: BRYSTON BDP DIGITAL PLAYERS NOW Roon Ready
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2016, 05:53 pm »
I LOVE YOU, MAN!!

Samurai7595

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2016, 06:24 pm »
What does this mean (I have no experience with Roon)?  :scratch:

"The Roon Core, which must exist within a computer (PC or MAC) or a compatible drive on the home network..."

Right now, I have my FLAC music files on a USB stick connected to my BDP-2 & use MPaD on my iPad.  Would I need to introduce a computer or NAS to my setup?

Marius

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2016, 06:32 pm »
Use the

Update Firmware function in Settings to update to the new version S2.28 firmware. Bryston is offering a free 60-day Roon trial coupon for a limited time. Interested users can learn more at roonlabs.com.

Cool James,
When will this be available?
Of course interested in the extra trial period. Comes with the update ?

Cheers,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2016, 06:40 pm »

Cool James,
When will this be available?
Of course interested in the extra trial period. Comes with the update ?

Cheers,
Marius

Chris should have the software ready by weeks end.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2016, 06:43 pm »
by weeks end he means as of a few minutes ago

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2016, 06:50 pm »
What does this mean (I have no experience with Roon)?  :scratch:

"The Roon Core, which must exist within a computer (PC or MAC) or a compatible drive on the home network..."

Right now, I have my FLAC music files on a USB stick connected to my BDP-2 & use MPaD on my iPad.  Would I need to introduce a computer or NAS to my setup?

Roon requires you to run there server software on a computer, one of average to high end spec or a high end nas.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/what-are-the-minimum-system-hardware-requirements/103

Cheers,
Chris

Marius

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2016, 07:01 pm »
by weeks end he means as of a few minutes ago

Downloading.....
What About the trial? How to register for that?

vcwatkins

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2016, 07:09 pm »
I've updated the firmware (seemed faster than in the past), enabled the BDP-1 in Roon, and am playing now. Sounds fab!!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2016, 07:11 pm »

Downloading.....
What About the trial? How to register for that?

https://roonlabs.com/coupon.html

docder

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2016, 08:30 pm »
Thank you,

I've created a Roon account and entered the redeem code  for the trail from Services so I can now run Roon for two months but how do I download Roon?
I can only find a membership button which asks for my CC details and says it will charge me 119 usd immediately. Can I only have the 'free' trail if I pay up now? Or is my payment deferred for 60 days?

docder

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com

docder

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jun 2016, 09:13 pm »
Thank you again.

I've got it. Info was also in an email Roon had sent me!! What a twit I am tonight.

D

Marius

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jun 2016, 09:30 pm »
HI Chris,

Couple of questions please:

Bryston BDP1 still uncertified? Is this still a beta ? Maybe the cause of a sudden and unexpected power down of the BDP1 while indexing the library...

Is it Roon or the BDP that won't let Roon read AFP shares (the files on my NAS)?

I had to setup Roon up using SMB shares, using the files attached to the BDP. I rather liked the idea of playing NAS files through Roon over the BDP, which is not supported  :scratch:  . Or is there a work around to do just so.

Playing a track doesn't show on the MM interface? Only Roon Ready Mode on the home screen?

Chris, i take it MPD is automatically disabled when Roon is enabled?

Thanks,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jun 2016, 09:58 pm »
HI Marius

Under Services in MM Dashboard you have to choose either MPD or Roon but not both.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator

vonnie123

« Reply #16 on: 28 Jun 2016, 10:11 pm »
Comprehensive firmware update S 2.28 update loaded on original version BDP-1.

Roon Ready mode captured (uncertified).  Sounds great.   :D

Noticed this firmwave update was a lengthy one.  Glad this could be rolled out to BDP-1 users.

Good work to all involved.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #17 on: 28 Jun 2016, 11:15 pm »
HI Chris,

Couple of questions please:

Bryston BDP1 still uncertified? Is this still a beta ? Maybe the cause of a sudden and unexpected power down of the BDP1 while indexing the library...

Is it Roon or the BDP that won't let Roon read AFP shares (the files on my NAS)?

I had to setup Roon up using SMB shares, using the files attached to the BDP. I rather liked the idea of playing NAS files through Roon over the BDP, which is not supported  :scratch:  . Or is there a work around to do just so.

Playing a track doesn't show on the MM interface? Only Roon Ready Mode on the home screen?

Chris, i take it MPD is automatically disabled when Roon is enabled?

Thanks,
Marius

Give it a couple days and the BDP should show as certified.  Correct, only one audio playback service can run at a time.

Marius

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jun 2016, 05:59 am »
Finally figured out the way to have Roon read the Nas files through SMB. Very simple  :duh: :duh:

I havent yet done so though because of this:

I havent authorized Roon to write on my NAS, only read, but would this warning imply it changes my files on the NAS? That would be very unwanted, since other services are configured to read those files also. My Plex installation for example (took 1,5 weeks to get it all done....)

If it only reorders files in its own Roon database all would be fine, but i certainly don't want to try without being sure before hand...

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #19 on: 29 Jun 2016, 06:17 am »
Never mind my previous post, found the answer here:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/whats-a-watched-folder-whats-an-organized-folder/119

Cheers,
Marius