DIY Amps for NX-Oticas

mkrawcz

Re: DIY Amps for NX-Oticas
« Reply #200 on: 18 May 2022, 10:05 pm »
In case anyone is interested, I built this Akitika GT-102 amp a few weeks back. It’s been connected to my NX-Studios since. It’s a wonderful sounding amp. Very musical with a touch of warmth. Hard to believe it sounds this good at its price point and such a complete kit.

Jaytor

« Reply #201 on: 18 May 2022, 10:29 pm »
Vishay MELF. I didn't like the descriptors Arek used for the other resistor choices. I was aiming for neutral with very little color. In hindsight, I wish I went with a through hole resistor board so I could try out more exotic resistors.

I was wondering why the board seemed small.  :duh: I didn't realize they made one with surface mount resistors.

In case anyone is interested, I built this Akitika GT-102 amp a few weeks back. It’s been connected to my NX-Studios since. It’s a wonderful sounding amp. Very musical with a touch of warmth. Hard to believe it sounds this good at its price point and such a complete kit.

Nice clean build. Those little chip amps do a pretty impressive job.

mkrawcz

« Reply #202 on: 18 May 2022, 10:37 pm »
Jaytor, Dan is having trouble getting the LM3886 chips right now, so he is working on a discrete MOSFET replacement for them.  That may be an interesting mod to this.

aricml

« Reply #203 on: 7 Dec 2022, 07:31 pm »
Has anyone with access to more information than me heard anything about Akitika and when/if more amplifiers may become available?  I'd love to build one with my daughter!

mkrawcz

« Reply #204 on: 7 Dec 2022, 07:53 pm »
Has anyone with access to more information than me heard anything about Akitika and when/if more amplifiers may become available?  I'd love to build one with my daughter!
Dan has discrete MOSFET versions available now. They are a little more intense to put together but they are better than the LM3886 version.  The GT104 (4ohms) and GT108 (8ohms).

mkrawcz

« Reply #205 on: 7 Dec 2022, 08:19 pm »
Here is what the GT104 boards look like(minus a little mounting fix I had to do on the left board).

JWCoffman

« Reply #206 on: 8 Dec 2022, 01:55 am »
I built a GT-102 a couple years ago as my first amp build.  It took only a few hours and I'm still using it as my daily driver.  These are solid, well-documented kits that punch way above their price point.

bhassel

« Reply #207 on: 8 Dec 2022, 02:38 am »
I've seen reference to the GR-Research chip amp in various threads including this one, and yet I can't seem to find out anything about it. It would seem to be a natural match to have an amp with quality components to match the speakers.

Will it be back?

Bob

Danny Richie

« Reply #208 on: 8 Dec 2022, 03:21 pm »
I've seen reference to the GR-Research chip amp in various threads including this one, and yet I can't seem to find out anything about it. It would seem to be a natural match to have an amp with quality components to match the speakers.

Will it be back?

Bob

We did a run of ten of them and have parts and chassis's for 22 more. So we do have more slated to be built.

BrandonB

« Reply #209 on: 8 Dec 2022, 10:44 pm »
We did a run of ten of them and have parts and chassis's for 22 more. So we do have more slated to be built.

Do you also have a battery operated tube pre-amp?

OSIB16

« Reply #210 on: 8 Dec 2022, 11:04 pm »
Here are my finished Gainclone LM3886 monoblocks, which were built from scratch, chock full of exotic parts, with point to point wiring, and an obsessively minimalist approach to the design. Extraordinary sound quality, plenty of controlled bass, hugely transparent. The link below shows how they were built…
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=184093.0

« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2022, 02:23 am by OSIB16 »

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #211 on: 9 Dec 2022, 02:40 am »

Ever think about selling the parts as a diy kit?

Danny Richie

« Reply #212 on: 9 Dec 2022, 04:27 pm »
Do you also have a battery operated tube pre-amp?

No, but maybe one of these days I might have some guys help me resurrect some of Gary Dodd's designs.

mzbrahce

« Reply #213 on: 10 Dec 2022, 09:11 pm »
That would be very cool!  Please, do.

bhassel

« Reply #214 on: 10 Dec 2022, 11:25 pm »
 :thumb: