Apollo Audition at Lou's This Week

Paladin350

Apollo Audition at Lou's This Week
« on: 19 May 2018, 06:21 pm »
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=157529.new#new

I'll be in the San Francisco tomorrow 5/20 through Tuesday.  Seattle on Wednesday.  Would love your guidance on front end components with Daedalus speakers. (Kindly see short thread above for context)

Michael

cheech

Re: Apollo Audition at Lou's This Week
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2018, 07:06 pm »
I have Deadalus Argos V2s  -  room is 28x20xx10

Have 3 different amp set-ups that I switch through every 2 weeks or so ; each easily drive the Argos in my room without ever going past 10-11 "on the dial"
  - Modwright LS100 tube preamp; KWA100SE ss 120 wpc power amp
  - Line Magnetic 518 IA  845 based 22wpc SET integrated (NOS rectifier , preamp and driver tubes)
  - Finale Audio 7189A MK2  EL34 based 22 wpc integrated (NOS tubes throughout)

Modwright Elyse DAC - Nos 6922s and rectifier
April Music Stello CD Trasnport
Wadia 171 Ipod Transport for IPOD Classic 160G (music wav format)
Clearaudio turntable and phono amp

Paladin350

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2018, 07:28 pm »
Thanks Cheech.  Would love a simple integrated amp, with my digital only setup ... if not materially compromising the reference quality of Daedalus.  How does the 518 IA compare to your other electronics?  If you could only have one ... which combo is your keeper? 

cheech

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2018, 10:37 pm »
I like all 3 , hence all are staying in my setup.  That being said, between the Line Magnetic and the Finale, the Line Magnetic's 845 tubes offer a more authoratative/dynamic presentation.  There is another Line Magnetic integrated the 508IA that is similar in price to the 518IA, but is 45wpc and I have read comments of others that between the two the 508 is a little smoother ( has 805 & 300B tubes vs the 845 tube) .  It wasn't available when I purchased the 518.  If you don't want to deal with tubes, I would guess that when you meet with Lou he can offer some thoughts on options. Likewise , there's a Daedalus thread on here that re" amps used with Daedalus speakers that might be good to breeze through for possible ideas

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2018, 05:35 am »
My dear friend Mike who recently past away was using a LIO with his Ulysses and it sounded amazing in his smallish room.

Just an FYI, I will be selling the LIO for his wife shortly if you have any interest. I still need to give Vinnie the serial number so he can tell me how the amp is configured. Then I will be listing it here on AC.

A_shah

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2018, 07:24 am »
Hi if you are going to be in the Seattle area Belligham is a 3 hour drive or a short flight to Lou place and you can audition the Apollo 11, I had an opportunity in Feb. of this year  to listen to the Apollo 11 with the old Tweeters and they sounded GR8 but I choose to purchase the Poseidon although Apollo are certainly GR8 speakers my choice  was a personnel "rational "and thinking,  plus immediate availability at that time 
All amps you mentioned will work well with the Apollo 11 , I use the Odyssey Kismet for when I am in a mood to listen to a solid state at this time I have a prototype QuickSilver Mono- 60 watt amps which has become my favorite listening amp very linear with a very wide bandwidth and low noise. the front end driver(pre-amp) is the Don Sachs Pre-amp DS-2 and Oppo 203K and the the PS audio Directstream DAC.
Lou had demoed at Axpona his Apollo 11 with the LTA-UltraLinear 18 watt amps which definitely sound very linear in the video  However if you are looking for an integrated amp don't bypass the QuickSilver INt.( tube amp) which I have on loan from a dealer of Mike Sanders it is only 20 watts per channel but sounds very sweet with the Poseidon as well as with the KEF LS 50 and  even drives the Magnepan 1.7i I have without a Hiccup and it is very inexpensive I don't think their is anything high-end available at this  price point that match the quality and sound of this tube Integrated (draw back does not have a remote control)
Harbeth, the New magico's and the Crescendo are all very good choices   

QuickSilver INt.on the maple board

Paladin350

« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2018, 07:03 pm »
Just landed at SFO.. Thanks for your incisive report A_Shaw.  Good solid advice.  Lou has several amp options for us to play with this week.  I'm really looking forward to meeting Lou.  He sounds like a true stand up guy. As you know, his customer satisfaction on this AC site and reviews from 3rd parties are highly rated.

Michael

A_shah

« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2018, 12:26 am »
Just landed at SFO.. Thanks for your incisive report A_Shaw.  Good solid advice.  Lou has several amp options for us to play with this week.  I'm really looking forward to meeting Lou.  He sounds like a true stand up guy. As you know, his customer satisfaction on this AC site and reviews from 3rd parties are highly rated.

Michael
[/quote

Yes Lou  is a True Stand up gentleman
 you will enjoy meeting with him :thumb:
Asghar

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2018, 09:58 pm »
Can't wait to hear about your trip and the Apollos

I'm considering going to Vancouver in September for the Skookum Music Festival and might just have to swing by Lou's place for the Apollo audition myself

enjoy and safe and wonderful travels

Paladin350

« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2018, 07:26 pm »
Heading back to Hotlanta at 30,000’ following a delightful half day with Lou.  Listened to all his new models.  For my room, the Apollo 11’s appears to be the optimal choice. Coupled with the little LTA amp, the reproduced music was transformative.  Best I’ve ever heard.  Can’t adequately describe the emotional connection.  All I can say, that with eyes closed, I felt like Leonard C, James T, Mark K, Jennifer W, Michael J, Frank S, Eric C and many others were in the house with us. Next moves are to get WAF approval on the special walnut sample that Lou made up for me ... and pull together the end to budget numbers for the complete new system. We ended the special day with fresh, line caught Copper River wild salmon for dinner ... up close to the Canadian Border.   Spectacular location.  Put it on your bucket list. Thank you Lou for a day well spent. Look forward to continuing the journey and our new friendship.  Michael

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2018, 08:04 pm »
Michael,

Congratulations on your discovery.

I thought you might enjoy it. The Apollo 11s had not been completed when I was there, so I can only imagine how wonderful they sound. Even so, I'm delighted with my Apollos.

Welcome to the family.

Michael

Jarbs

« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2018, 05:04 am »
Hello Michael,
I recently ordered the Apollo 11’s (in walnut) following hearing them at Axpona. Here the front end was a Lampizator Golden Gate, LTA preamplifier, and LTA Ultralinear. I came away impressed. My challenge was determining which of these fine components would best fit in my current system. Needing speakers first and foremost I went that route and am pretty excited about how will this turn out.
My comments here are speculative because I won’t have the speakers till maybe fall. From what I’ve read and from Lou’s opinions too, I’m optimistic that what I have will be a good start.

Server/streamer: Aurender N10
Dac: Brisacti M1 SE
Preamp: LTA MZ2 s
Amp: Pass XA30.8

All of this new would blow your budget, but I’d suggest the following for you.

Aurender A10 server/dac ($4500 new from an authorized dealer I know, list is $5500).
A preamp is optional with the A10
The MZ2 is a great bargain for a tube pre. It displaced a $7000 pre in my system. $2200 new. read all about it.
The Pass XA30.8 is just a great amp. Used they can be gotten for $4000 to $4500. More drive than the LTA Ultralinear and actually more tubey sounding. The Ultralinear is simply a great amp too, as you heard. But you have to buy new for $6800 as it just came out.

Aurender, LTA, and Pass. Many possibilities here. I highly recommend these. The great advantage of the Daedalus line is their transparency, dynamics, and sensitivity. A 30W amp will drive them well so you don’t need $20k to $30k of class A Pass amps and all of that heat in GA. I’m in WI so I need the heat😊.

Any questions just ask. I’m curious so see which direction you go.

Greg

Jarbs

« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2018, 04:52 am »
A correction and some additional comments.

The Lampizator model used at Axpona was the Pacific, not the Golden Gate.

I’ve used Aurender for 3 years. They have been reliable, glitch free, and the SQ is solid, first rate. The conductor app is very friendly to use and is employed by all models including the A10. It will do Tidal and MQA. I have owned and currently own Auralic. The Aurender has better SQ. For me much better than a CD/optical drive too. The convenience has been life changing compared to what I was doing 30 years ago. Very clean looking. No media piles from the night before. Nothing but empty wine bottles now. I’ll put up with that.

If you are going for a clean look with simple set up I’d go with a Pass INT 60 integrated. Two boxes total and the gorgeous Apollo 11’s. If this wouldn’t have enough WAF I wish you luck. Maybe try full wine bottles.

This would keep you in budget if a the amp is acquired lightly used.

Happy shopping.
Greg

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2018, 04:06 pm »
I have a pair of Zeus on order that will be ready in June, hopefully.  My current speakers are 96 dB efficient and run Allnic A6000 60 watt 300b.  You can pick up a pair of mono's for cheap.  There are other options by them that will run well with Daedalus.  This would be something to investigate.  I have my opinion on the digital front end but that is far too subjective to post here.  Dealers for Allnic seem to offer deep discounts too, and send demo gear out without hesitation.  If you want my thoughts on digital, PM me.  Be sure to audition gear before purchasing.  Each system is different and so is your interpretation of music.  I have made many bad investments based on reviews and forum trends.