Sapphire XL Initial Impressions

John B

« on: 5 Mar 2006, 03:04 pm »
I've had the speakers for two days.  Can't really tell you how they sound in glorius two channel tube amlpificiation, as my tube amps are in for repair, but in solid stage with a Pioneer Elite driving them in HT they rock.   Probably the most "natural" sounding "musical" speakers I've heard.   And the looks, I don't really put much stock in looks, but these speakers are hot rods.  I was listening to some DVD concerts yesterday, and they really brought the performance from a compressed digital standpoint such is DD and DTS,  into what I'd consider righteous audiophile sound.  Don't know where they'll end up with break-in but I'm very excited by what I'm hearing.

Harry P

Re: Sapphire XL Initial Impressions
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2006, 12:50 pm »
Quote from: John B
I've had the speakers for two days.  Can't really tell you how they sound in glorius two channel tube amlpificiation, as my tube amps are in for repair, but in solid stage with a Pioneer Elite driving them in HT they rock.   Probably the most "natural" sounding "musical" speakers I've heard.   And the looks, I don't really put much stock in looks, but these speakers are hot rods.  I was listening to some DVD concerts yesterday, and they really brought the performance from a compressed digital standpoint suc ...

John, it sure seems like natural and musical are words always associated w/ ACI speakers. That has sure been my impression. What other speakers have you heard that your comparing to?

Groch

« Reply #2 on: 9 Mar 2006, 06:00 am »
John B,

Congratulations on becoming a fellow XL owner.  

I know that the manual indicates a pretty significant break in period, but mine sounded great right from the start, and I noticed very little change.

What is most impressive to me is that now, 10 months later, I am still blown away whenever I turn them on.

Your right about the finish.  I have never seen a more perfect deep lacquer finish on a speaker than on my XL Gloss Blacks.

Enjoy!

Eric

« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2006, 04:10 pm »
Welcome to ACI. They are indeed very special speakers. I have heard them with tubes, and you will not be disappointed

dwk

« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2006, 04:53 pm »
Hmmm, XL's with tubes? I would think you might need to be a bit careful. I tried mine with a Llano A-100 which is a pretty 'warm' sounding SS amp, and found that the combo ended up being on the dark side.  I'm using the XL's with what I think is a very neutral setup (modified panny receiver) and find them fabulous - musical with great detail but without ever being harsh. Personal taste and room etc will obviously play a big role here, though.

John B

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2006, 01:47 pm »
dwk,

Bruce Moore Tube amps and preamps are a little different tube fare than what you're used to.  They are not what I would call tube warm/dark or and tubby sounding.  I never liked tube amps before hearing the Bruce Moore designs.  I expect the ACI's to respond most favorably to them, but we shall see.   In any case the wife absolutely loves the speakers, the sound and the looks, and believe me that is such a big selling point with the troubles I've had in the past bringing in stuff that was either overly bassy or just hyper detailed sounding to her ears that she couldn't stay in the room with me to even talk or listen.   Not so with the ACI's.   So evaluation continues but I have high hopes for these speakers not only being my mains but I'm looking forward to that center too  :mrgreen:

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2006, 03:54 pm »
Quote from: dwk
Hmmm, XL's with tubes? I would think you might need to be a bit careful. I tried mine with a Llano A-100 which is a pretty 'warm' sounding SS amp, and found that the combo ended up being on the dark side.  I'm using the XL's with what I think is a very neutral setup (modified panny receiver) and find them fabulous - musical with great detail but without ever being harsh. Personal taste and room etc will obviously play a big role here, though.

I very much agree about the personal taste and room. I've never heard the Llano amps so I can't comment there. The last two years we've partnered the XLs with Primaluna tube integrated amps at CES, and no one has thought the combination to be "dark" sounding. Last summer I had the chance to listen to the XLs on the Grommes tube amps and found that to be a very clean and open sounding setup. We have a number of customers who have reported excellent results with a variety of tube amplification.

audiojerry

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2006, 05:12 pm »
Not intending  to be critical, but dwk's  blanket generalization about tube amps is way off base. While there may be distinct differences in sound between tubes and SS, as there are in digital amps, there are many examples of tube amps that do not sound warm, lush, or dark. It can go both ways. I've owned about a dozen SS amps, a half dozen tube amps, and have tried a few digital amps, and anyone who's never used a tube amp or has based their judgement on only one or two tube amps, should not give advice or warnings that a tube amp may not be a good choice. It's fine to say "I don't care for tube amps", but giving advice based on a blanket generalization is another thing.
No offense.  :D

dwk

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2006, 05:44 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
Not intending  to be critical, but dwk's  blanket generalization about tube amps is way off base

Whoa! No blanket condemnation was intended, I was simply pointing out that clasically 'lush' tube sound might push the combination over into 'too much of a good thing'. I suggested 'being careful', not 'don't ever do this'.

I actually like tube amps in general, although I've gone in a different direction for the time being.

John B

« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2006, 12:05 am »
I'm one of those audiophiles that has over the years been impressed with pricey equipment, thinking price was a good indicator of audio quality.  In some cases it was, but in mostly what you got was simply an ego boost of being able to say something like I own Dynaudio Special 25th anniversary monitors.   Sometimes the idea behind a speaker design has also intriqued me enough to spend megabucks on say a monitor that used very expensive carbon based material for the speaker cabinet which virtually eliminated any cabinet resonance infecting the purity of the sound.   In the end though I got to a point where I realized I was listening not so much to the music but to what the gear was accomplsihing..  I decided it was time to put together an affordable system that I could simply sit back an enjoy the music with.  Take a break from reviewing and rekindle my simple love of good music and movies.

The Sapphire XL fit the bill, and driven by my Pioneer Receiver had a very nice sound to it.  A sound that was musical and definitly worth the asking price.  Then I got my Bruce Moore tube amps back on Sunday.   I changed placement of the Sapphires and mass loaded them on top with diver weights.  I've found that mass loading speakers and especially subs to be very worthwhile to the overall sound quality.  I then turned on the tube preamp and amps, let them warm up for half an hour and then put on one of my favorite blues CDs.   My respect for the Sapphires shot into the stratosphere, and though I'm now breaking my "take a break from reviewing, and just sit back and enjoy the music, I'm inspired and as such  I'm going to end my evaluation comments here;  as I do have to abide by an exclusivity clause in my work for Positive-Feedback Online, in not doing full reviews on audio forums.   I'll save the rest for the full review, but I just couldn't resist letting you guys know that these speakers are in league with some of the best sound I've ever heard from a speaker regardless of price.   And something the audio industry needs if we as a community of audio designers, manufacturers and enthusiasts are going to have a future to look forward to.  It's the MP3 generation that's now the future market, and they're not as easily impressed with high priced gear as us baby boomers are.   IPODs are what's cool, and for them to be swayed into a more involving musical experience it's going to take smart and innovative designers like Mike bringing the best to us at prices the working man can afford.

Groch

« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2006, 12:42 am »
John B,

Wow.  Perfect.

Mike is gonna love your post, I'm sure you made his day.

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2006, 01:45 am »
I'll have to agree with John B., and everyone should know I'm Mikes Midwest showroom. But that aside, the Sapphires are a very special monitor at an extremely friendly price that the average guy can afford. By the same token, this speaker is as comfortable with a Modwright preamp and NuForce amps as it is with Grommes 360 tube amps and a Herron preamp. It works well with reasonably priced equipment but doesn't act like it's out of its element when paired with equipment much more expensive than itself.

These speakers just play music. You're going to have to go through a lot of speakers to find one that betters them at anywhere near this price point and I know they are better than several speakers I've auditioned at twice their price point. They are what I would refer to as very high value and enjoyment for the amount invested.

John I'm looking forward to your full review, let us know when it comes out.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #12 on: 15 Mar 2006, 12:55 pm »
Great stuff indeed  :D   Thanks for all the wonderful comments. Thanks to John for taking on this task (I believe most reviewers really enjoy their jobs, but it still involves more effort than some folks realize).

We all look forward to more!

John B

« Reply #13 on: 15 Mar 2006, 01:34 pm »
I believe most reviewers really enjoy their jobs, but it still involves more effort than some folks realize).

Mike,

I love reviewing, problem being, with my full time job and family requirements I was taking on more than I could handle in reviews, thus burning out my love of reviewing/writing and the enjoyment of music itself.   Also being diagnosed with Diabetes and having to change my lifestyle also put a crimp in things.   However, things have improved since December and now that I'm on an extended medical leave of absence from work my time can be devoted to my love of music and writing without sacrificing other repsonsibilities or be stressed out by time constraints.

John B

« Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2006, 04:28 pm »
I can't believe I just did it.  Yup, without even having my reference monitors in house to do a comparison, I became so enamored with the sound the Sapphires were putting out...I bought my review pair.   Ah well, Reviewers, what can you do with them.  They are impulsive devils, and when they hear something that brings them much pleasure it's hard not to pull the trigger  :mrgreen:  Thanks Mike, for putting out a great product at an affordable price point.

Glenn S

« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2006, 12:40 pm »
Congratulations Mr. B. on your Sapphire purchase. It says a ton when reviewers buy their samples! You mension your other reference monitors. Could you tell us what other monitors you've owned or had in your room?

John B

« Reply #16 on: 29 Mar 2006, 01:54 pm »
Could you tell us what other monitors you've owned or had in your room?

In order of history  :)

Ultimate Monitor
VMPS 626R
Dynaudio Special 25th Anniversay Monitor
Dynaudio Audience & Contiour series monitors...too many to list :) Cut my audiophile rookie teeth on Dynaudio products for many years, both floor standers and their monitors.

Rob M

« Reply #17 on: 29 Mar 2006, 02:35 pm »
How did you find the XLs compared to the Dynaudio Special 25s?

John B

« Reply #18 on: 29 Mar 2006, 03:35 pm »
Rob,

Been way too long since I had those speakers in my rig, sonic memory and all...that and I was running them on solid state amplification at the time, now I'm all tubes.  However, I do visit my best friend on occasion, who is now the proud owner of those speakers, and he does have tube gear.   They are quite an intense experience at his place, especially since he's running my old Velodyne HGS-12 sub in conjunction with them  :lol:   Couldn't get away with that in my condo....though I did for awhile  :mrgreen: