ACI Panorama/Protege Compred to B&W Sound?

hotwheels

« on: 11 Aug 2005, 03:22 pm »
Has anyone compared a B&W 803 or 700 series with the ACI Panorama or Protege (Speakers I anm considering for 80% music 20% HT)? Since I cannot audiiton these, I am trying to get a sense of a comparable sound for comaprison before doing a 30 day trial. Or is there another comparsion that can be made that offers some point of reference?
Thanks

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2005, 03:33 pm »
Here is what I can share. I have a friend who works and installs for a local hi-fi store here in town and he has for a few years been telling me I should come to his store and hear the B&W line. Even before I got the Panoramas, I never made it. He finally made it to my home last month and saw my Panoramas and said, wow, very nice speaks, very nice constuction, may I here them? I of course said sure. After more than 3 hours he said. Can I bring my boss over and have a listen? Nothing more has been said about B&Ws!  :D

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2005, 10:18 pm »
I compared the Panorama to the 804 (a friend is a dealer) The B&W, while certainly a great speaker, was a little edgy on the top for my taste. I also thought the B&W mid driver was a little on the canny side compared to Mike's design.

So, the top in general on the B&W has it's own distinctive sound. Many like it (ever hear the term detailed) and if I'd never discovered the Pano, chances are I'd own a pair along with the older HTM1.

Everything else about B&Ws are first rate. It's easy to see why so many people are impressed with the speakers. They make beautiful boxes.

Hope you don't mind the words edge and can.

Power for both was from the same B&K AVR, so it was a fair enough for me.

E

hotwheels

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2005, 10:28 pm »
Thanks for those comparisons thedeskE and buydog. My wife heard the 804 S and loved them. We both heard and liked the 703, but she was going toward the 804 S with a sub.

So, if the B&Ws are more edgy and cany than the ACI, with either the Protege or Panorama we are going in the right direction as far as our sound preferences. I guess the issue then becomes Panorama or Protege for my Music/HT needs.

I do plan on getting one of the ACi subs to match the speakers and using existing speakers as my surrounds. I can use the bypass feature on my receiver for music only.

Thanks again!

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2005, 12:03 am »
hotwheels

The Panos are a closer match to the 804 as far as performance is concerned. If you try a set and have access to the 804 local, you'll know for sure.

I would not put a Prodege up against the 804.

The only risk is shipping, but I doubt you'll send em' back.

Good Luck

E

hotwheels

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2005, 01:40 am »
I might have to place the Panoramas on a shelf 30" off the floor, but theywould have about 10" behind them and center to center about 6.5 feet between them. Not ideal placement, but it is what I have to work with. I might also be able to place them in front of the shelf, but that might work for various reasons of speaker wire, crazy dogs, etc...[/img]

budyog

« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2005, 04:47 am »
Shoot! There going to blow you away! :D  :bomb:  :D :bomb:   :D :bomb:   :D :bomb:   :D  :bomb:  :D

It would be nice if you just get them a little lower, depending on what your listening level will be?

Another good thing about ACI speakers, they sound great in any room/size!

I just realized, I don't seem to have ever read anything bad about ACI.

hotwheels

« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2005, 03:04 pm »
I can probably make the listening level lower. I guess I have always thought that if you could get floorstanding speakers they should sound better than stand mounts, but that is just assumption by someone who knows nothing about these things, other than the sound I like!

I have searched about every forum I can find on audio issues and you are right about ACI: I have called them a couple of times and sent emails and they have been the most responsive of ID dealers I have contacted. Very knowledgeable folks. And, my wife is a packer fan, so buying from Wisconsine is a bonusufor me!

budyog

« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2005, 03:10 pm »
Been there, done that! In regards to floor standing models. I must admit, the Talisman have crossed my mind along with my Maestro! You will not regret going to stand mount speaks. I have been a fan of ACI for many years. They make you "Enjoy the Music".

hotwheels

« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2005, 03:54 pm »
Do you know if ACI makes their own speakers or are the made offshore? Just curious if they are made in a garage or a factory!

brj

« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2005, 04:11 pm »
Quote from: hotwheels
Do you know if ACI makes their own speakers or are the made offshore? Just curious if they are made in a garage or a factory!

Well, they started in a garage back in 1977... but they have moved on.  See the ACI Story on their website.

hotwheels

« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2005, 06:38 pm »
Thanks for the link, that answers the question!

thugh

« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2005, 01:59 am »
Quote from: hotwheels

Most of ACI's speaker cabinets are made in the USA with the exception being the ELTs and the new XLs.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2005, 01:56 am »
To elaborate on what has already been said:

Most of our cabinets are built within 35 miles of our main location. We use the services of two independent cabinet builders for our cabinets and some of our wood panels. Most of our solid hardwood panels are made in a local, large (275,000 sq.ft. + factory), I know the owner well.:)

Sapphire XL cabinets are built to extreme QC standards in the PRC to our specifications.

All crossovers are hand matched and assembled at our main La Crosse shop. All final build and testing is done at the same location.

And yes, we started in both a garage and two basements in the early years :)