Powering the Force (surge supression or no)

durholt

« on: 17 Jul 2005, 04:01 am »
I am experimenting with different power solutions and will be demoing a Richard Gray Power Company 1200s this coming week. They suggest plugging the sub directly into the wall due to the changes their product makes on cleaning the power to the entire circuit.

My question is whether you suggest plugging the Force into a surge protector or directly into the wall. If some type of electrical surge occurs, will the Force be potentially damaged in some way with no surge supression in front of it.

Thanks as always Mike for your informative and quick replys.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2005, 07:10 pm »
From what I know, surge suppresors are a mixed bag. Many promise great protection but don't actually come through. It is certainly possible to damage a Force amp with for example a lightening hit . . .it has happened before, of course a lot of other damage usually occurs also. I've also heard of instances where there's a big hit, the suppressor does nothing and whatever it is supposedly protecting gets blown. I personally haven't used any surge protection in my audio - HT systems for years (the computers are on backup supplies) and have had no problems. (Now we'll probably get a big T-Storm tonight and obliterate my entire rig).

I've read some great info on the web on various means of getting really good protection. If you want to be really safe, I'd start goggling . . . if you find some good stuff PLEASE bring it back here, would be excellent resource to have.

Dan Banquer

Surge Suppressors
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2005, 07:35 pm »
Hi Mike:
 The Tripplite Isobar Ultra Series are very good units, reasonably priced, and comes with a very good warranty. All the user has to have is a properly wired 3 prong wall outlet. I've used these in some very tough situations outside of audio and have found them to be very satisfactory.
            d.b.

Mike Dzurko

Re: Surge Suppressors
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2005, 12:15 am »
Quote from: Dan Banquer
Hi Mike:
 The Tripplite Isobar Ultra Series are very good units, reasonably priced, and comes with a very good warranty. All the user has to have is a properly wired 3 prong wall outlet. I've used these in some very tough situations outside of audio and have found them to be very satisfactory.
            d.b.

Hey Dan!

Good advice for sure, thanks!

aggielaw

Surge Suppression
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2005, 02:18 am »
I've used Belkin surge suppressors in the past.  I bought the highest joule-rating suppressors I could find.  I heard no audible difference over plugging my rig straight into the wall.

I live in the high desert of Arizona, where we have monsoons from about July 4th through labor day weekends.  We also have alot of brown outs during the summer.  I decided I wasn't comfortable with just a surge suppressor, so I started doing the requisite hundreds(!) of hours on the available conditioners.  Eventually I settled on the just-released APC S10.  Now my rig sounds better than it did before.  I never believed in the "grunge in the power affects your equipment's performance" but I'm guessing there must be some truth there because I do hear a "cleaner" sound now (for want of a better term.)

Will you hear a difference on your sub?  I don't know - my sub's power cable isn't long enough to plug it into the APC, but I wouldn't expect much impact in the sound at that low range.  I do know that I would expect to feel *much* safer with my audio gear plugged in to a unit that cleans the power, regulates the voltage, and protects the unit from spikes, brownouts and power outages.

durholt

Thanks
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2005, 06:17 pm »
Thanks Mike. I will let you all know how the RGPC works in my system. It is an expensive item, but if it achieves what I would like then it will be worth it.