Skipping the preamp by using the Cherry DAC DAC (and related stuff)

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
Re: DAC DAC
« Reply #60 on: 3 Feb 2016, 11:06 pm »
Will you share which one(s)?  I had fun rolling opamps w/ my Eastern Electric Minimax dac - You could really achieve a wide range of sonic signatures with different chips.

I'd imagine i'ts too late in the design process but it would be super cool if users had the ability to swap em, or use the higher-end Burson etc. discreet opamps.

For anybody who is interested I would be able to swap out the amplifier ICs to ones of your choice as long as they are footprint compatible. This will cost $150 plus cost of the parts.

Some options are:
OPA1642
OPA1612
LME49720
LME49723
LM4562
AD8620
AD8599
Etc.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #61 on: 7 Apr 2016, 02:17 am »
For anybody who is interested I would be able to swap out the amplifier ICs to ones of your choice as long as they are footprint compatible. This will cost $150 plus cost of the parts.

Some options are:
OPA1642
OPA1612
LME49720
LME49723
LM4562
AD8620
AD8599
Etc.
Just a head's up on such mods....  If we don't do them, it voids the warrantee.  We have measured favorable performance with OPA1612s, so if you're going to "go for it", and don't mind about the warrantee issue, there's your best bet.  Thanks.

Captainhemo

« Reply #62 on: 29 Apr 2016, 05:30 pm »
Tommy,
I'm looking into  a new DAC and after seeing it mentioned in a few threads,  the DAC DAC has caught my eye as a possible candidate.  I may have missed  the answers in the thread(s) but i've got a few questions

1) Is there an option for single ended outputs  ? 
2) I see the DAC will be available in  two version , the TL (tube like) and HS which I'm not clear on.
3) Have you done any tests powering the DAC via  a decntly sized  12V battery ?  My system is DC powered  now and  would love to  just  run the  DAC off the same system
4) Availability,  do you have an estimated public release ?

Has anyone who's had a chance to hear the DAC DAC  been able  to compare it with  either of the  Schiit MB (Gungnir/Yggdrasil) dacs or the Chord 2Cute ?

Thanks   

jay

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #63 on: 30 Apr 2016, 08:07 pm »
Tommy,
I'm looking into  a new DAC and after seeing it mentioned in a few threads,  the DAC DAC has caught my eye as a possible candidate.  I may have missed  the answers in the thread(s) but i've got a few questions

1) Is there an option for single ended outputs  ? 
2) I see the DAC will be available in  two version , the TL (tube like) and HS which I'm not clear on.
3) Have you done any tests powering the DAC via  a decntly sized  12V battery ?  My system is DC powered  now and  would love to  just  run the  DAC off the same system

Has anyone who's had a chance to hear the DAC DAC  been able  to compare it with  either of the  Schiit MB (Gungnir/Yggdrasil) dacs or the Chord 2Cute ?

Thanks   

jay
Jay,

The DAC DAC is designed to provide the highest fidelity possible at a reasonable price.  From the design itself, to the way we run our business; it's all to deliver the kind of sound you want.  Clean.  Clear.

1) Is there an option for single ended outputs?
    Single ended is done with high performance transformer adapters.  There is an added benefit to doing it this way - output ground isolation!
    HS = High Spec, about 124dB SNR and 0.0004% THD
    Note the TL version has the shortest signal path possible, as in the number of components the signals go through to the connectors.
    We haven't used a battery to power the DAC DAC yet.  Driving the DAC DAC from an alternate power supply creates a possible warrantee issue, but if you don't mind that, it should work well.  The plug is positive center, standard 2.1mm barrel type.  A 500mA capable power supply is more than enough.
    Yes, next month.

Can you tell us more about your system?

Thanks for your kind post.

-Tommy O

Captainhemo

« Reply #64 on: 30 Apr 2016, 09:15 pm »
Jay,

The DAC DAC is designed to provide the highest fidelity possible at a reasonable price.  From the design itself, to the way we run our business; it's all to deliver the kind of sound you want.  Clean.  Clear.

1) Is there an option for single ended outputs?
    Single ended is done with high performance transformer adapters.  There is an added benefit to doing it this way - output ground isolation!
    Note the TL version has the shortest signal path possible, as in the number of components the signals go through to the connectors.
    We haven't used a battery to power the DAC DAC yet.  Driving the DAC DAC from an alternate power supply creates a possible warrantee issue, but if you don't mind that, it should work well.  The plug is positive center, standard 2.1mm barrel type.  A 500mA capable power supply is more than enough.
    Yes, next month.

-Tommy O

Hey Tommy, thanks for  the information.    I guess a follow up  ?  to the balanced -> single ended  solution is,   Are you  going to have specific adapters  that you  recommend ? I 've  seen  many " shades" of these that range significantly in  cost. I must admit, I haven't  looked into them to investigate the differences as it's never been something I've needed to worry about.

I'd think as long as a low amp fuse is used inline with the  12V DC battery,  there should be no   ill effects or any need  to  void warranty unless of course it was due tto a polarity issue  etc.

Breif  system specs
Dodd Audio  vairable gain premap SE  - battery
Dodd / Richie prototype   amp (chip bases)  SE  - battery
75 Ah 12V battery, CTEK charger
Grant Fidelity TD11   (to be replaced)
PC bases  source, flac/digital stream
GR Reaserach NX-Otica  speakers  93-94 db/w
OB servo subs

jay

SteveMiller

« Reply #65 on: 8 Jun 2016, 10:29 pm »

OzarkTom

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #67 on: 9 Jun 2016, 02:23 am »
Jay,

-Tommy O

Tommy making claims like these is b.s. ,you take digital which is superior etc, and you make claims of your own gear which is average and the net result is b.s.,anyone can make digital sound good,what is the specs
of your gear with a vinyl source.please quote SNR and THD... :)

SteveMiller

« Reply #68 on: 9 Jun 2016, 02:23 pm »
Tommy making claims like these is b.s. ,you take digital which is superior etc, and you make claims of your own gear which is average and the net result is b.s.,anyone can make digital sound good,what is the specs
of your gear with a vinyl source.please quote SNR and THD... :)

Georgopoulos,

Seriously man, WTF are you talking about ??     :o

What exactly do you think is BS?     I heartily disagree with everything you just wrote.  :duh: You are entitled to your opinion but i cant make any sense of it.

What are the specs with vinyl source?????  Im lost.  Someone help me.......or George.     The specs of the equipment are the specs of the equipment regardless of source.  And why are you talking about a vinyl source into a DAC anyway?   

Maybe you've just had to many man-pops tonight.  But please, calling bullshit on something that you either havent experienced in person or just dont understand or appreciate is inappropriate. I own both the TL and HS versions of Tommy's DAC DAC and they are freakin stellar.   Best i've had in my system, and that included dac's from $3000 to $8000 flagships.  So, there's no bullshit there.  Tommy's amps will measure the same regardless of source.  And I have purchased enough equipment from other vendors to know that when I landed on Digital Amplifier Company I had finally found the real deal.  High End Sonics at Real World Pricing

If you really think that what Tommy builds is just average then what you are experiencing is simply some strange system incompatibility. Or, your preferences run to an affinity for a particular flavor such as tipped up treble, or bloated bass.  You will find Digital Amplifier Co devices to be exceedingly neutral, clean, clear, and lifelike sounding with proper playmates. But again, in a forum where people want data, information, specs, pictures, experiences and impression...Simply calling BS on something and not making any sense of it just isn't helpful.

The TubeLike moniker that Tommy adopted for the first version of the DAC DAC may have confused you early on. I noticed you asked what tubes were employed. For the interested parties, the TL is meant to infer that the DAC DAC is not clinical or cold sounding.  Its descriptive of its mission, not its components.  TubeLike means that this version emulates the very best tube equipment which is natural, spacious, and organic sounding. LifeLike could also apply.  Its lowest parts count means that the fewer the parts that are employed, the less gets in the way of your music.  And, the parts that are chosen for the circuit are carefully spec'd to ensure the best matching and custom intent such as high bandwidth and ultra low distortion.

THe HighSpec version is how Tommy refers to the all out pursuit of specs and measures.  It is a very fast, incisive sounding device. Truly clean, harmonious and colorful.  The absolute best implementation of BurrBrown chipset ive heard.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but please keep posts to the spirit of this forum, which is to inform potential listeners of your experience and observations, maybe even your wish list. Tommy reads all the posts and you never know what might show up in future products.  Useless harassment of the designer who in now way helpful to users who may want more information to make a purchase decision.

If Mr Georopoulos you would like more information please feel free to contact me, as I have both units that I have purchased for myself, as well as the new STM integrated amplifier, and the 60V Maraschino Monoblocks.  I can speak to whatever questions you may have if you are interested in owning Digital Amplifier Products.

Kind Regards,

Steve Miller

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #69 on: 9 Jun 2016, 03:40 pm »
Steve,

You made some very good points!

When it comes to those who are habitually negative....  Some are simply mean spirited. Some are "not the sharpest tack in the box". Some are victims of a terrible past and take it out on everyone. Some are just fakes, operating under an alias.  Whatever the root cause, their impact is insignificant long term.

Looking forward to hearing more about your TL vs HS results.

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #70 on: 9 Jun 2016, 03:45 pm »
No remote?
Many of our customers use their media player for remote control. For example, an app on my iPhone controls the SBox Touch in one system.  Thanks.

SteveMiller

« Reply #71 on: 9 Jun 2016, 05:28 pm »
Initially i was concerned about the lack of remote. But then, since the design brief called for the purist of purist circuits, and anything that added component was bound to affect the sound quality, I personally ended up embracing the simplicity of the device.  There's no remote because the unit isnt doing anything that needs external control. 

Its kind of like worrying about trunk space in a Ferrari, or tire life on a sport bike.  You dont buy performance vehicles for their creature comforts. You buy them because they are focused deployments made to do one thing well. THats how I view DAC DAC.  Focused at doing one thing well.  It turns spdif into a balanced analog and sends it to your amplifier.  Thats it.  so, why not make it the best it can be at that task, and forget adding the fluff. 

I dont miss having another remote. Maybe thats because now, instead of fiddling with the controls, I just listen and appreciate the performance. It's really that good.  The preamp that you follow DAC DAC with needs to be ultra transparent. Or you'll soon find yourself going dac direct to amps and just using the digital attenuation in your favorite media player.  You'll also find, that due to the extreme tolerance DAC DAC has concerning source delivery, that you dont need crazy expensive media players either.  Lots of RAM, and simple Itunes keeps me quite content.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #72 on: 9 Jun 2016, 11:06 pm »

Georgopoulos,

Seriously man, WTF are you talking about ??     :o

What exactly do you think is BS?     I heartily disagree with everything you just wrote.  :duh: You are entitled to your opinion but i cant make any sense of it.

What are the specs with vinyl source?????  Im lost.  Someone help me.......or George.     The specs of the equipment are the specs of the equipment regardless of source.  And why are you talking about a vinyl source into a DAC anyway?   

Maybe you've just had to many man-pops tonight.  But please, calling bullshit on something that you either havent experienced in person or just dont understand or appreciate is inappropriate. I own both the TL and HS versions of Tommy's DAC DAC and they are freakin stellar.   Best i've had in my system, and that included dac's from $3000 to $8000 flagships.  So, there's no bullshit there.  Tommy's amps will measure the same regardless of source.  And I have purchased enough equipment from other vendors to know that when I landed on Digital Amplifier Company I had finally found the real deal.  High End Sonics at Real World Pricing

If you really think that what Tommy builds is just average then what you are experiencing is simply some strange system incompatibility. Or, your preferences run to an affinity for a particular flavor such as tipped up treble, or bloated bass.  You will find Digital Amplifier Co devices to be exceedingly neutral, clean, clear, and lifelike sounding with proper playmates. But again, in a forum where people want data, information, specs, pictures, experiences and impression...Simply calling BS on something and not making any sense of it just isn't helpful.

The TubeLike moniker that Tommy adopted for the first version of the DAC DAC may have confused you early on. I noticed you asked what tubes were employed. For the interested parties, the TL is meant to infer that the DAC DAC is not clinical or cold sounding.  Its descriptive of its mission, not its components.  TubeLike means that this version emulates the very best tube equipment which is natural, spacious, and organic sounding. LifeLike could also apply.  Its lowest parts count means that the fewer the parts that are employed, the less gets in the way of your music.  And, the parts that are chosen for the circuit are carefully spec'd to ensure the best matching and custom intent such as high bandwidth and ultra low distortion.

THe HighSpec version is how Tommy refers to the all out pursuit of specs and measures.  It is a very fast, incisive sounding device. Truly clean, harmonious and colorful.  The absolute best implementation of BurrBrown chipset ive heard.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but please keep posts to the spirit of this forum, which is to inform potential listeners of your experience and observations, maybe even your wish list. Tommy reads all the posts and you never know what might show up in future products.  Useless harassment of the designer who in now way helpful to users who may want more information to make a purchase decision.

If Mr Georopoulos you would like more information please feel free to contact me, as I have both units that I have purchased for myself, as well as the new STM integrated amplifier, and the 60V Maraschino Monoblocks.  I can speak to whatever questions you may have if you are interested in owning Digital Amplifier Products.

Kind Regards,

Steve Miller

Hi Steve,i'm only trying to help him!,all good mate!,thanks for the offer to enlighten me (very kind of you)
what more can i say?,may be he doesn't want/need any help,i'll try not to get in his way in the future

kind regards
George

dwaleke

« Reply #73 on: 24 Jun 2016, 02:53 pm »

1) How much is the Dac Dac?
2) When is it available for purchase?

Can't seem to order it through the website.

jseipp

« Reply #74 on: 25 Jun 2016, 05:02 am »
The MSRP of either version of the DAC DAC is $1290 according to the Kickstarter Campaign, but I would wait for the official price to be announced on the website to be certain.  The DAC DAC has just rolled out to the Kickstarter backers; I would contact Tommy through the onsite form for further details, if you haven't already.

I hope that helps!

John

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #75 on: 25 Jun 2016, 11:54 am »
To SteveMiller,

Hi Steve, I see you run iTunes with your DAC DAC TL like I am doing. I also own a Cherry Ultra. I'm wondering what USB to SPDIF interface unit you are using ?? I have a Phiree or a Peachtree X-1 to use into my TL.

My question is are your 96mHz or 192mHz LEDs lighting up ?? Mine are not, even though my ears tell me this DAC DAC TL is working and sounds utterly outstanding!! Stomps my Cambridge DAC Plus by a very wide margin, not even close period! I just want to make sure there isn't a hiccup going on with my TL. My iTunes through a Windows PC and have the Peachtree v2 driver installed.
Thanks, DW

srb

« Reply #76 on: 25 Jun 2016, 04:06 pm »
My question is are your 96mHz or 192mHz LEDs lighting up ?? Mine are not, even though my ears tell me this DAC DAC TL is working and sounds utterly outstanding!!

The problem is iTunes.  Even with Windows Audio Session selected in Edit > Preferences > Playback, the selected bits and sampling rate will determine the output.  If changed, iTunes needs to be restarted for the new resolution to take effect.

You would have to do this on playback of each song where the resolution changes.  The problem also exists in iTunes for Mac which is why many on that platform buy the Amarra, Pure Music or other playback engine add-in for iTunes which then allows resolution change on the fly.

For Windows, JRiver Media Center, foobar, Media Monkey, Music Bee and others allow you to select a specific WASAPI or ASIO driver within the program to allow automatic bit perfect output.

Steve

Shear Bliss VMPS

« Reply #77 on: 26 Jun 2016, 06:38 am »
Thanks Steve,

I went with J River with the wasabi add on, still the same situation with the LEDs ... also have a problem with the power LED going out which I find strange. Waited 6 plus months on delivery and expect more ..... hopefully Tommy can swap this TL out for another unit. On the J River trial now. The performance of this DAC DAC is off the charts otherwise.

Thanks again

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #78 on: 29 Jun 2016, 05:16 pm »
1) How much is the Dac Dac?
2) When is it available for purchase?

Can't seem to order it through the website.
Please send a PM.  The DAC DAC part of the website isn't done yet.  Thanks.

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #79 on: 1 Jul 2016, 10:40 pm »
:duh:

A computer dummy here, would this thing help on the dac dac? I love that name, dac dac.

http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen
If you're experiencing drop outs or noticeable distortion, maybe.  In that case the data is probably getting corrupted. Be aware that reclocking devices add latency to the data and could cause audio/video sync problems (lips move ahead of the sound).  On a good (fast) machine driving a quality USB-to-SPDIF converter (we plan to offer one soon), you should get perfect data (carbon copy style) to the DAC DAC.  The DAC DAC reclocks the data internally with a low latency buffer, very low jitter, low noise, and precise time source.  Good wires don't need to cost a lot, but are necessary. We have measured the performance of the DAC DAC driven from in this style from even slow PCs (USB) with theoretically perfect performance.  Thanks.